Why Does Carnival Still Print" Fun Times"

hattack

Does not the technology exists today that a "chip" can be implanted onto your S&S card that will contain an "app" that holds a "cube" that you can customize your daily schedule instead of printing a paper daily "Fun Times"...Carnival could place scanners all around the ship where you could swipe your S&S card to receive updates and changes or link it to a kiosh

The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival has such an "app" today that you can download on your tablet or cell phone...would not work on a cruiseship because of high charges for wifi and roaming cost which means most folks turn off their devices for the entire length of their cruise

Is JH and "the suits" working on this to be beta testedon the next generationvessel

I was just on the Breeze, and the FunHub had an electronic version available, although it wasn't posted daily and didn't seem to work as well as I had hoped. I am someone who carries around my iPad mini everywhere, and would have loved to use it.

Then I would bet that you'd use the Fun Times app if it was available, right? If they had both apps, I mean. Since you would already have your phone with you, most likely. :)

No I wouldn't use it still, even if I had my phone with me. If my phone were with me it would most likely be tucked at the bottom of my bag wherever I was and not being used - however the idea of being able to send an occasional message "hey change of plans meet me at the sports bar" via the phone is an option that appeals to me. However there is no appeal in a FunTimes app for myself personally...similar to those who choose to read the actual printed newspaper versus an identical online version, it just isn't the same for me.

Does not the technology exists today that a "chip" can be implanted onto your S&S card that will contain an "app" that holds a "cube" that you can customize your daily schedule instead of printing a paper daily "Fun Times"...Carnival could place scanners all around the ship where you could swipe your S&S card to receive updates and changes or link it to a kiosh

The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival has such an "app" today that you can download on your tablet or cell phone...would not work on a cruiseship because of high charges for wifi and roaming cost which means most folks turn off their devices for the entire length of their cruise

Is JH and "the suits" working on this to be beta testedon the next generationvessel

Part of the reason I sail is to get away from my smart phone. It stays in the safe all week.

I wish the cruise lines would use wifi to allow passengers to message each other throughout the ship. On Disney you have wave phones which make it so much easier to keep in contact and give children a bit of freedom. It really wouldn't cost much if they just had the accessibility and let us use our own devices. I don't think they would get overloaded, either, judging by the number of people in this thread alone who lock up their devices and never look at them over the course of their vacation. I would definitely use it and I wouldn't have to worry about trying to find our group members when plans need to be made or changed.

I would also love to see the Fun Times in an app. I always have my phone because it is my watch, camera, calendar, etc. It's not a burden to carry, it fits in my pocket just like that piece of paper that is only good for one day and then gets thrown away.

Does not the technology exists today that a "chip" can be implanted onto your S&S card that will contain an "app" that holds a "cube"

I have read through this comment about 10 times since it was posted...can someone please tell

me what the "cube" is??? I'd like to think I'm a tech savvy person but maybe not...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nope...sorry I like getting my fun times at turn down. I go over them that night and know what I am doing the next day. I dont have time to worry about an app or a scanner. I can take my fun times and fold it up and put it in my pocket. And I bring them home at the end of my cruise and they become part of my souvenir collection.

Sure..every year for the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival a schedule is published in a "cube" that shows by day, by stage, by performance artists & time of performance every one of the scheduled over 900 performances.plus locations of the various vendors and food booths..it resembles a multi color "grid"...for the long time Festival attendees, the tradition is once the cube is published they will, circle with a yellow hi-liter which performers they want to see based upon stage location and time of performances (much like posters on this board with the paper edition of the Fun Times on a much simpler basis)

Next April go online to http://www.nola.com/nojazzfest/ and you can see the cube and see the app

The "app" allows the Festival fan to upload their "personalized" cube (schedule of who they want to see, what stage, time, by day) to their cell phone, tablet, and they can receive alerts if the start time of a particular performance will be later, a change of schedule, where there is a long backup at their favorite food booth, safety imformation etc and the user can adjust their "cube" to reflect the changes...of course the "traditionalist" prefer the newspaper version (use it for cover when it rains)..the younger tech savy folks love the "app"..a booth vendor can also send out a "blast" to put an item on sale...etc...tons of usages...it is not hard to see how this could be applied to cruising...technology is being developed that can place a chip in a wristband (otr watch) that can be projected on any flat surface...the Dick Tracy watch (for all of us old timers who love the comics) might be on your grandchild's Christmas Santa Claus wish list very soon that they will take on their cruise

Anyone with a teenager understands how their lives revolve around technology...they are the next generation cruisers and the cruiselines know this so the cruiselines are slowly but surely easing into it with the next generation ships that are coming online...printed Fun Times will always be an option

Sure..every year for the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival a schedule is published in a "cube" that shows by day, by stage, by performance artists & time of performance every one of the scheduled over 900 performances.plus locations of the various vendors and food booths..it resembles a multi color "grid"...for the long time Festival attendees, the tradition is once the cube is published they will, circle with a yellow hi-liter which performers they want to see based upon stage location and time of performances (much like posters on this board with the paper edition of the Fun Times on a much simpler basis)

Next April go online to http://www.nola.com/nojazzfest/ and you can see the cube and see the app

The "app" allows the Festival fan to upload their "personalized" cube (schedule of who they want to see, what stage, time, by day) to their cell phone, tablet, and they can receive alerts if the start time of a particular performance will be later, a change of schedule, where there is a long backup at their favorite food booth, safety imformation etc and the user can adjust their "cube" to reflect the changes...of course the "traditionalist" prefer the newspaper version (use it for cover when it rains)..the younger tech savy folks love the "app"..a booth vendor can also send out a "blast" to put an item on sale...etc...tons of usages...it is not hard to see how this could be applied to cruising...technology is being developed that can place a chip in a wristband (otr watch) that can be projected on any flat surface...the Dick Tracy watch (for all of us old timers who love the comics) might be on your grandchild's Christmas Santa Claus wish list very soon that they will take on their cruise

Anyone with a teenager understands how their lives revolve around technology...they are the next generation cruisers and the cruiselines know this so the cruiselines are slowly but surely easing into it with the next generation ships that are coming online...printed Fun Times will always be an option

As a 29 year old, I think the next generation would be far more inclined to use a phone app that's accessible from anywhere instead of an access point that you actually have to track down.

Personally, my phone goes in the safe. I need the mental break for a week. I'll have plenty of iPhone time when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand but in the near future if you attend the Jazz & Heritage Festival you could in theory rent a hand held device with the "app" (with a credit card deposit)for less then what it cost to park near the Festival grounds (up to $40 bucks per day) to be returned at the end of the day...with proper incentives that would appeal to alot of Festival attendees

Look at this another way...the Quantum of the Seas will debut shortly that holds 5000+ fully berth plus crew....CC'ers on these boards complain about the loud & frequent speaker announcements and the Fun Times once it's printed becomes an inflexible stagnent document....the challenge for the cruiselines is how to communicate with that many guests information that can be filtered to their specific interest (thus screen out stuff that does not pertain or have interest for them) over multiple venues on the Quantum during the course of a full day at sea

I've been cruising since 1974 (40+ cruises)...I can "scan" the Fun Times and figure out what I want to do in less then 10 minutes, tear off the side skj, hi-lite what I want to do it , fold it and place it in my lanyard next to my S&S card and out my cabin door...but on a cruise ship built before 2007, there are a limited fixed options to choose from...on the Quantum of the Seas the options are probably 15X what I would have to choose from on the Carnival Pride...cruiselines will utilize technology more and more on the mega ships

My favorite Carnival ship to cruise on is the Elation..small, laid out well ,great crew and not alot of options (bells and whistles) which I love &, the printed Fun Times works...reminds me why I fell in love with cruising....the Quantum which I'm sure my 12 year old grandson who already has 5 cruises under his belt will convince me to take him on will require a different communication toolkit

Just have a screen or TV set for Carnival news in your cabin. Can also order excursions, room service, leave special requests for your room steward, view digital photos and order any you want etc. It isn't difficult.

Edited by evandbob

Great point and maybe the interactuve tv in your cabin is the direction to start in....I think one has to think outside the box....or the contrapositive of that statement states when I go on my cruise, I really don't want to think in terms of having alot of options...I want to disconnect from the very devises that in real life cause me to want to go on a cruise to get away in the first place...yet clearly there is a driving economic voice that tells the cruiselines to build bigger ships with more options (which drives more decisions that one has to make), if you want me to book your line and more to the point to spend more funds per day then your revenue target

Like wide silk ties from the 30's & 40's given enough time everything classic comes back in style....looking at the videos and pictures of the Quantum of the Seas and looking at the 80's version of the Fun Times and our pictures on the Carnivale Festivale hard to guess one is talking about the same basic product...a place to sleep (Cabin) a place to eat (MDR) and basic transportation to get you from one island to another..it changed with the mega ship became the destination

Everyday more daily printed papers and magazines are switching from print to digital and the driver is advertising revenue...if all the ad flyers inserts in the Fun Times disappeared which probably covers the cost of printing the Fun Times would the cruiseline consider an going digital as an option

Holy crap, I mean wow; cant people do anything these days without having their face gazing at a tiny screen? And yes I do have a smart phone (don’t know how to begin to utilize all of its capabilities & really don’t care). I know, I sound like a non-tech savvy prude, but really I am not! To be honest; I’m just kind of burnt-out on always seeing people either constantly on their cell phones or texting nonstop. When I go on vacation the electronic leash (smart phone) is thrown in the safe and forgotten about, the printed FUN TIMES work great for me! In my opinion there are other areas I would much rather see Carnival invest money and energy on to enhance the overall cruise experience rather than a tech version for something that is just fine as is!

My cell phone goes into the safe when I board...I'm not paying the international rates to stay connected. I actually look forward to reading the Fun Times every evening and planning my day. I like to bring a highlighter and highlight the things I want to do (especially on a sea day when there are lots of choices)...can't do that on a television or app.

Yes I carry my phone around the ship (in airplane mode) for reading my ebook, taking photos etc. but I don't need another app either.

The fun times is perfectly fine as paper. You get to scribble on it while you plan for the next day and yes, that tear-off section is brilliant!

The only part I hate is how every day, they also stuff a bunch of ads inside it, which I toss in the trash most of the time. Too bad they can't give you one big one on the first day and then you could plan your whole week!

I hope they recycle all that paper.

My two cents worth:

A week before your cruise, you get an email with all the Fun Times.

You then have a choice to print them ahead of time, download them on to your electronic device or wait till you get on the ship and do it the old-fashioned way.

Oh PULEEEEZE! Part of the fun of being on a ship is going to your cabin each night after turn down and finding, along with the towel animal, the FUNTIMES for the following day and reading through it and planning. I would be most disappointed if the cruiselines did away with this. The FUNTIMES also make a good souvenir.

Agreed! I also agree that the technology still does not work that great on the ships and is not dependable yet. People would stay frustrated and leave with a bad taste in their mouth afterwards.

Agreed! I also agree that the technology still does not work that great on the ships and is not dependable yet. People would stay frustrated and leave with a bad taste in their mouth afterwards.

Cables companies can't even get their interactive software working correctly. I'll stick with the paper. It's perfect size to read and it folds into your pocket. If it gets wet, no big deal.

Oh PULEEEEZE! Part of the fun of being on a ship is going to your cabin each night after turn down and finding, along with the towel animal, the FUNTIMES for the following day and reading through it and planning. I would be most disappointed if the cruiselines did away with this. The FUNTIMES also make a good souvenir.

Totally Like!:D