Why Does Carnival Still Print" Fun Times"

hattack

Nice Office Space ref...

I think the use of smartphones and cruising can coexist just fine for those who like to use them, but I agree with many of you in that sometimes it's nice to just unplug and enjoy the middle of nowhere. No one in my company is expected to be reachable while on vacation, which is how it should be. I do however like to have the ability to share some texts or pictures with friends back home or be reached by family in case of an emergency. I say to each their own, but options are good.

Thanks for backing me up. One thing that not everyone realizes is that cruising is an escape from reality, a fantasyland. The kind of place where if someone mentions your employer's name, your response would be "what's that?".

Smartphone apps bring cruising closer to the modern-day reality, which makes cruising less special. And what's the point of cruising, if Lumberg can reach you on the ship, with yet another demand to send in the daily TPS Report? With the cover sheet in place, in PDF format, of course. (dark humor there)

I love going to my cabin each night and seeing a new Fun Times waiting for us. Its all part of the fun of cruising. Fun Times, Mints on pillows, Towel Animals, etc. Plus the Fun Times makes a great souvenir. I don't want to carry a phone around all day or check a "machine" for the activities going on the ship when I can just snap off that little part of the Fun Times and put it in my pocket for the day. :cool:

i would think that is such a pain to stop at a kiosk every time you want to find out what is going on. i like the paper fun times. i keep the tear off strip in my pocket. and i would rather not carry around my phone

Edited by michelle1836

Finding the new day's Fun Times every night on my last cruise was part of the FUN! I loved having that tear off slip and they made great souvenirs in my scrap book at the end :) Plus not everyone has smart phones. I highly enjoy the idea of not having my phone on at all during the cruise. It's a vacation from everything for me :cool:

Believe it or not, there are people out here who don't do "apps". Don't have a smart phone. Or have a tablet. And some don't even own a computer.

There will still be a necessity for printed materiel.

Exactly! I have a basic flip phone and don't get into the useless technology that's out there. I'm glad to still have a piece of paper in my hand to read. :)

Does not the technology exists today that a "chip" can be implanted onto your S&S card that will contain an "app" that holds a "cube" that you can customize your daily schedule instead of printing a paper daily "Fun Times"...Carnival could place scanners all around the ship where you could swipe your S&S card to receive updates and changes or link it to a kiosh

The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival has such an "app" today that you can download on your tablet or cell phone...would not work on a cruiseship because of high charges for wifi and roaming cost which means most folks turn off their devices for the entire length of their cruise

Is JH and "the suits" working on this to be beta testedon the next generationvessel

Although it might be nice for some to have an app to easily organize schedules and tell them what is happening where, when I go on vacation I try to avoid having my phone around...I like to 'unplug', so I am super thankful for the "Fun Times" paper.

I keep hearing about apps..what are they? I keep thinking about little bites of food but I know that isn't it. I have a computer that does the little that I need. My phone stays off here at home unless I am out and need to call someone. Wouldn't think of taking it on a cruise..just one more thing to carry around that isn't going to be used. Does it plug into your phone?

I love the funtimes. I tear off the one part and take it with me.

tigercat

Believe it or not, there are people out here who don't do "apps". Don't have a smart phone. Or have a tablet. And some don't even own a computer.

There will still be a necessity for printed materiel.

I am one of those people!!!!!!!! I work for Verizon, so I have phones in my face for 12hrs a day. The reason my husband and I love cruising so much is to get away from all the cell phones and technology!!! Im in my early 30s and sometimes feel over whelmed with how much people think they need it. Vacations are for family time, and its amazing how relaxing it is with out worrying whats on our phones. When my family travels with us we require them to put the phones and iPods for the week my teen nieces think they will die!!! lol

I am one of those people!!!!!!!! I work for Verizon, so I have phones in my face for 12hrs a day. The reason my husband and I love cruising so much is to get away from all the cell phones and technology!!! Im in my early 30s and sometimes feel over whelmed with how much people think they need it. Vacations are for family time, and its amazing how relaxing it is with out worrying whats on our phones.

Ditto! I work in IT support, and the last thing I need on vacation is something that reminds me of my job. I was floored by how relaxed I felt simply by not having a cell phone on me, even in foreign ports where I had no idea about the city layout. I learned it the old way (at least just enough for a tourist): by looking at street name signs, checking a paper map, and if necessary, asking police officers on foot patrol. Plus, I got to practice my Spanish in Cozumel. So yeah, I'm one of "those people" too :p.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Oh PULEEEEZE! Part of the fun of being on a ship is going to your cabin each night after turn down and finding, along with the towel animal, the FUNTIMES for the following day and reading through it and planning. I would be most disappointed if the cruiselines did away with this. The FUNTIMES also make a good souvenir.

Agreed. I lob fading the fun times at night and planning my day. I kept all my fun times to look at and remember my cruises

• 3 weeks later...
Low tech = Carnival ship maps

High Tech = NCL Interactive Map at elevators

I liked the NCL idea better - I need my glasses and a spotlight to read the Carnival Maps (either the folded paper ones or those stuck up on a wall in the darkest part of the elevator corridor.

I agree with this idea of interactive maps, with arrows leading you to where you want to go. :o

Oh PULEEEEZE! Part of the fun of being on a ship is going to your cabin each night after turn down and finding, along with the towel animal, the FUNTIMES for the following day and reading through it and planning. I would be most disappointed if the cruiselines did away with this. The FUNTIMES also make a good souvenir.

I have to say I totally agree with you and I love technology and all it has to offer. :)

Does not the technology exists today that a "chip" can be implanted onto your S&S card that will contain an "app" that holds a "cube" that you can customize your daily schedule instead of printing a paper daily "Fun Times"...Carnival could place scanners all around the ship where you could swipe your S&S card to receive updates and changes or link it to a kiosh

The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival has such an "app" today that you can download on your tablet or cell phone...would not work on a cruiseship because of high charges for wifi and roaming cost which means most folks turn off their devices for the entire length of their cruise

Is JH and "the suits" working on this to be beta testedon the next generationvessel

Well as long as they put a kiosk in the bathroom. Thats where I like to read mine. :D

I don't carry my phone around the ship but I love that nifty little tear part of the fun times to carry around.

I *do* carry my phone around the ship (I use it as an ereader and load it with library books before I leave home) and I still like that little tear-out. Can't highlight my phone screen so I know when the Harry Potter trivia is happening ;)

My parents do not have a computer of any kind.

My husband and I leave all electronics behind. We only have pre-paid cell phones for emergency use as landline phones and PCs are enough.

I don't want to walk somewhere to upload or to open something just to look at it - which I may forget in 10' and miss something I like.

Nobody will be allowed to download anything on my phone or PC as I get too much junk as is, and not going to pay for connection on the days at sea.

I agree with the original poster that we should have a choice - let the nerds be nerds, let others have worry-free vacations with paper and highlighter(s).

The last thing I want to screw with on vacation is more technology. Sorry, but we both work in IT and we go on cruises to get away from it all!

All of the above. I can't wait to get unplugged when I get on the ship. One of the reasons I go to sea is to get as far away from electronic intrusions as I can. I love my smartphone, love being able to access basically the entire body of human knowledge from my pocket. But there's a time and place for everything.

FUN TIMES FOREVER!!!

EXACTLY! I love coming back and reading about the next days activities and planning my day. I also carry it with me all the time for reference of what is going on and when and where, AND like you said, I save all mine so I can write a review and remember what we did on what day for posting later.