When can/should I book excursions?

niklynn1

We will be cruising to Alaska on RCCL in June 2015. We've only cruised on Disney in the past, so some of the details for RCCL are a bit new to me.

For example, on Disney, I wasn't allowed to reserve excursion until a few weeks or so ahead of cruise time. However, it appears that with RCCL that is not the case. It looks like I am able to start booking excursions NOW? And if so, should I? Do most people reserve this early? Do they fill up fast?

I am working on details for a trip to Cancun in a couple of weeks, so that's occupying my mind more right now, and Alaska still seems to far away. But I don't want to miss my opportunity to get things arranged for that? When can/should I be booking Alaska excursions?

Thanks!

No you do not need to book this early, Will have no problem getting tours, on board the ship, if you want to only consider ship tours.

You are too early for Anan, which, off hand is the only tour that may need a year in advance. Not an option for you.

Instead, it is more important to research the tours, and determine which one is the best for you. Too many people on these board, simply book the "popular" tours, when they may not be the best mix. Find your priorities.

We also are going next June and have already booked our Harv and Marv whale watching tour. There will be 1 in our party and we wanted the larger boat so we have it booked.

As soon as the Chikhoot tours open up for next June (probably around October) we will book that as well.

I started booking my tours (all independent) about 10 months prior. Figure out what you want to do at each port and prioritize. You are going to pay nearly the same for independent or ship booked tours, but the independent are normally much smaller groups.

All of my planning is in the link in my signature.

We also are going next June and have already booked our Harv and Marv whale watching tour. There will be 1 in our party and we wanted the larger boat so we have it booked.

As soon as the Chikhoot tours open up for next June (probably around October) we will book that as well.

Should have been "11" not "1" (talk about a private party). For some reason could not edit the post.

Thank you very much for all of the replies. It looks like the ship excursions are ready to book when I sign in for my cruise, but I just haven't had time yet to research and plan. There are so many options!

Hopefully, when we return from our Mexico trip next month, I can then shift focus to planning for Alaska.:)

Thank you very much for all of the replies. It looks like the ship excursions are ready to book when I sign in for my cruise, but I just haven't had time yet to research and plan. There are so many options!

Hopefully, when we return from our Mexico trip next month, I can then shift focus to planning for Alaska.:)

I would suggest you spend a lot of time looking over the tours. Rank them according to what you want to do. Many times, do not expect big savings with independent vendors. But you can expect smaller groups, and longer tours, which is of value. I am very picky about my vendors and return to the same ones over and over for my preferences. It may not be as important to some people.

I would also caution you about jumping into "bookings" before you know your itinerary activity list for your entire trip. Two reasons, it's important to schedule your tours where they make the best use of time. It can be a big mistake to book tour A, then decide to try and add tour B, but you mistimed tour A and either can't fit tour B in, or timing is inconvenient, and wastes time. Add to the mix, cancellation fees for changing your mind. :)