Whale watching-Alaska

brickgirl

We very much enjoyed excursions on the smaller boats. They're limited to about twenty people each. With the smaller number there is a better ratio of viewing area to people, i.e. less crowding at the rail/window.

We combined our boat tour with a nature walk through the forest to the Mendenhall Glacier. It was a great day.

If you want recommendations for private tours, that's more appropriate on the Roll Call for your cruise where it's within Cruise Critic policy to specifically name private tour operators.

Edited by beg3yrs

There will be many whale watching trips to pick from when you get to Juneau. Don't book through Princess. At the bottom of the Mt. Roberts Tram there are plently of tour operators. You will be on a smaller boat and it will cost less. There will be no problem getting a reservation for the same day. :)

Harv and Marv's - book privately. Check out TripAdvisors reviews and those on the Alaska boards. Very professional, small boats (max 6 people usually but they have larger boats too). LOVED our time with them and they do a FREE stop at Mendenhall Glacier and will then drop you off at your ship or in town to shop.

I would suggest you take this question to the Alaska Board. In fact, it's likely this thread will get moved there. You will find a lot of experienced Alaska cruisers there to offer sound advice.

The excursion company that Princess uses for Whale Watching is typically Allen Marine, a very professionally run outfit. However, they do use larger boats that carry more passengers and as such can feel more crowded.

Small boat operators that can be booked privately mentioned often are Orca Enterprises, Harv and Marv and Weather Permitting. All have excellent reviews on both CC and Tripadvisor. We are taking our 7th Alaska cruise this summer, and in my experience the really good and reputable tour operators are booked well in advance by savvy cruisers who know what they want out of their day. We have had wonderful excursions with both Orca and Weather Permitting.

While there may be a handful of operators waiting around the docks that you could possibly book day of, I would be very hesitant without really knowing about the safety and quality of their vessel and your operator. After all you are going out on the ocean in a small boat with this person so a little research in advance in my estimation is much better then just taking anything that happens to be available on the fly.

Just my two cents! :)

Edited by karatemom2

Harv and Marv's - book privately. Check out TripAdvisors reviews and those on the Alaska boards. Very professional, small boats (max 6 people usually but they have larger boats too). LOVED our time with them and they do a FREE stop at Mendenhall Glacier and will then drop you off at your ship or in town to shop.

I second this! In 2012 we had a family group of 8 and they had us on their 12 person boat (still only paying for 8) -- and promised that they wouldn't book anyone else (and they didn't). It was a fabulous excursion.

Agree 100%.

There is no comparison having just 6 passengers on a boat to a Princess tour that may have over a 100. Each passenger will see everything with H&M.

Obviously with a limit of six passengers on their several boats, you need to book well in advance to be sure there is room for you.

Their web site is http://www.harvandmarvs.com/

Cost will be about the same as a Princess tour, but the experience is much better.

1237219844_wDSC0173208_12_12WhalewatchinginJuneauwithHarvandMarva.jpg.a390f2dee5c27dc1d694f0cdf8903c62.jpg

We decided to use Harv and Marv's, after reading so many wonderful reviews of them. We were not disappointed. Their small boats are able to change course quickly to get as close to the whales, as legally possible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by gkacky