Live on Independence of the Seas

My husband and I are currently on Independence of the seas. This is our 4th cruise. All with RC. We boarded yesterday from Southampton for 14 nights cruise to Spain.

Boarding the ship was very quick and efficient. The ship is full and the passengers are mostly 60 plus. There are many passengers with walking disability so we see many wheel chairs , walking aids and mobility scooters. This is not something we saw in the other 3 trips which were on liberty and the navigator (all on Mediterranean )

We opted for unlimited wifi package on the ship as my husband needs to be online due to his work and it is covered by his company. It is very expensive $256 for 14 days. It is slow but good for surfing and keeping in touch. You can have 2 devices connected at the same time. This comes handy for us to find each other on the ship.

The ship is clean. The staff has been very nice. I can't really see much difference from the other 3 cruises we have done. Food is very British but that is normal as majority of the passengers are from UK. Whereas navigator and liberty passenger mix was very international. From the first night it seems the entertainment will also be more British. I found the first nights show ok but not as good as liberty.

Currently we are on the bay of biscay. This is our first time and we are told we are very lucky with the weather/ sea. It is not very bumpy as we are told that is mostly the case.

Hi

We came off Independence yesterday after our first cruise, and had a very good time. Already thinking about doing the same ship again next year. Where this was for our 30th wedding anniversary, the next one will be a family affair. Loved Windjammer and MDR, we are British. We did have some nice Asain meals on board. Joff, the cruise director did some excellent shows, but one of the comedians was, lets say a bit below the belt. Enjoy your cruise.

I hope you have a really lovely holiday. I love Indy and was on her last month and have another cruise booked on her in November. I was in Southampton yesterday to see her and took a photo of her docked and just think you were embarking at the time. :D

566-28thJune-IOTS_zps0fd7ad85.jpg

Hi

We came off Independence yesterday after our first cruise, and had a very good time. Already thinking about doing the same ship again next year. Where this was for our 30th wedding anniversary, the next one will be a family affair. Loved Windjammer and MDR, we are British. We did have some nice Asain meals on board. Joff, the cruise director did some excellent shows, but one of the comedians was, lets say a bit below the belt. Enjoy your cruise.

I think Indy is in carribean all next year, not sure if you are aware or just fancy a carribean cruise.

Hi Dizzysailor. I am looking forward to your review - we will be on the next cruise ! It will be our first time on IOS I am so excited.

Do you know if they charge for shuttle services when they arrive in the different ports and if so how much on average?

Have a great cruise.

Hi Dizzysailor. I am looking forward to your review - we will be on the next cruise ! It will be our first time on IOS I am so excited.

Do you know if they charge for shuttle services when they arrive in the different ports and if so how much on average?

Have a great cruise.

Shuttle buses !!!! Now that is a good question. They vary so much, last month it varied from €3 in Barcelona arranged by port to $19 (€15) in Lisbon arranged by RC for similar dustance.

No need for a shuttle on your cruise in Vigo or Gibraltar.

Can't comment on the Italian ports.

have the cheese tortellini in the MDR, is really good!

also when i was on the indy, about 2-3 nights before the end, they offered us every night of the remaining cruise the chops filet in the MDR for 10.00 ea...5.00 off normal price

yum yum yum

Who are the cruise director and Captain this week?

The cruise director is Joff Eaton (from May 17 through October 25)

The Captain is Capt Arnolf Remø (started 6-14-14 for 10 weeks)

Edited by DonnaK

Captain is Henrik Low. Joff Eaton has put on some excellent shows.

Transfers, we took the private train into Rome. Cost £72 each. Bit miffed whilst waiting for the return journey, when I checked the price of a single from Rome S.Pietro to Civi was 4.80eu . Was a nice train though, but will know next time.

Lisbon transfer was 19eu each. The queue for the return bus was huge. many ended up jumping on tut'tuts, that caught on that some were getting impatient.The bus goes back via Bellen as well.

Gibralter, Cadiz,Vigo no need for transfer. Just a short walk into the town.

Today is our 3rd day and we are in Vigo. Yesterday was day at sea and it was very relaxing but it did get a little choppy in the late afternoon for me. From our balcony we saw dolphins. As it was windy and cool there were not too many people in the pools.

We have been eating at the windjammer as we prefer casual dining and the food has been really nice. The service has also been very friendly. On the promenade service at sorrento and cafe promenade was a little slow but the snacks are very good. We really like the chocolate brownies.

Yesterday's show was once upon a time. It was fun and entertaining to watch. the stage as usual was great. I am amazed how they can dance even on choppy seas without getting dizzy.

We found Vigo to be a nice town but nothing very special. We took the city's tourist bus. it is 7.5euros per person for 90min tour. we would recommend it for anyone wishing to have an idea on Vigo. It leaves in front of the dock. They are called Vigo Tours - open top bus tour. RC trips looked too expensive for what they were offering. We are spending the rest of our afternoon enjoying the view from the balcony. It is a very cloudy and cool day but it is fun to watch the seagulls visiting the ship :)

By the way this is the last season for IOS in Europe. Anthem of the seas will replace it next year as per the cruise director Joff Eaton.

image.jpg.2dac73601880f460ed6f8eff5363317d.jpg

Hi

Is that you Joyce ???

Can't wait to read your next post! We will be boarding the Indy on the 12th!!!

I would love to hear about the Black and White night... I had read about it on another post. Has that happened yet?? We were wondering if that was one of the formal nights....still trying to decide on what to pack!!!

Thanks!

Patty

We are on day four of our cruise and having a great time. Entertainment on day three was fantastic. Ice show strings to me is a must see. They give out tickets on day two to secure a seat. However I saw people queuing before the show and all managed to find a seat to watch the show. There are two sessions on day 3 for the Strings ice show. Next Ice show is on day 13.

For those interested in tennis/football they are showing the matches at various places. So my husband preferred to watch the football match some where on deck 5.

At the theatre we watched the Queen tribute band. We would highly recommend the show / concert to anyone who likes Queen. We enjoyed it a lot. It is lots of fun with audience participation.

Today we are in Lisbon. The weather is very cloudy but warm. We docked at 9 and we'll depart in an hour. It has been a very pleasant day to walk in the city. This morning We took RC shuttle to town - $19 per person. The shuttle has 2 stops city centre and the monument area. There are also taxis and hop on hop off busses right outside the ship. City trips hop on hop off costs $27 per person. If you feel energetic you can also walk to the city centre which is 4.5km from the dock. There are many free wifi places in Lisbon - almost any cafe / restaurant.

We ordered our shuttle tickets through the TV which were delivered last night to our room. So far service has been great on the ship! We have a lovely lady from Mauritius as our room attendant.

So far we had one formal evening on day 2 where many were dressed in formal dresses and men in tuxedos. This is not a must. If you prefer not to dress up the only thing you can't do is go to the main dining room. I don't know when the black and white evening is.

Can't wait to read your next post! We will be boarding the Indy on the 12th!!!

I would love to hear about the Black and White night... I had read about it on another post. Has that happened yet?? We were wondering if that was one of the formal nights....still trying to decide on what to pack!!!

Thanks!

Patty

What's the black and white night? Haven't heard of that one.

Anxious to hear more about Indy too.

On the promenade service at sorrento and cafe promenade was a little slow but the snacks are very good.

Elsewhere in the Forums I've heard quiet a few less-than-complimentary comments about Sorrento's offerings. Your reports seem to be very spot-on, what's your assessment?