Starters in MDR

Spikey M

Hi all,

To cut a long story short - I am a fussy git when it comes to starters. I don’t particularly like cold food, don't like salmon, don't like the sauce in prawn cocktails, don't like vinegar and I don’t like soup.

This appears to be a problem. I have looked at the example menus and most days there are no starters I'd eat as they are advertised.

My question is - are they customisable? Could I say, for example, I'll have the prawn cocktail with out the sauce? Or - will I have to sit out the starters?

Thanks,

Ash and Emma-Jane

You can always ask for one of the mains as a starter. For example if there was a pasta, you could have a small portion of this as a starter.

Or like you say modify the starters to suit your preference, when I get the chicken caesar salsd starter, I ask for it without the anchovies.

Edited by richleeds

Hi all,

To cut a long story short - I am a fussy git when it comes to starters. I don’t particularly like cold food, don't like salmon, don't like the sauce in prawn cocktails, don't like vinegar and I don’t like soup.

This appears to be a problem. I have looked at the example menus and most days there are no starters I'd eat as they are advertised.

My question is - are they customisable? Could I say, for example, I'll have the prawn cocktail with out the sauce? Or - will I have to sit out the starters?

Thanks,

Ash and Emma-Jane

Sorry to be so cutting - don't have a starter, end of...

Easy to say, but perhaps the OP doesn't want to sit there twiddling his thumbs every night while everyone else around him eats.

Are you for real? Lots of people don't have a starter and I don't see hoardes of bored people sat in the MDR.

Does this forum really need to spoon feed people?

I asked at the end of my post if I would have to go without, others have said I don't. So I pre-empted that it was a possibility. You have added nothing.

I have paid for my food, as everyone else has, I hardy think asking for vinegar not to be put on a salad is a huge deal. If it was, I'd have gone without as I've already said.

Now, if you've nothing to add beyond petty sniping feel free to keep it to yourself.

Are you for real? Lots of people don't have a starter and I don't see hoardes of bored people sat in the MDR.

Does this forum really need to spoon feed people?

Spoon feed? I have never been on a cruise before. Or on a holiday that serves courses. It was a simple question that hardly required rude responses.

One of the reasons I like cruise holidays is because the menus usually tempt me into trying food I'd never normally think of eating. Some evenings I find that nothing particularly takes my fancy - and so I take a punt on something - usually with pleasing results. :)

One of the reasons I like cruise holidays is because the menus usually tempt me into trying food I'd never normally think of eating. Some evenings I find that nothing particularly takes my fancy - and so I take a punt on something - usually with pleasing results. :)

There were some things where this will be what I will do. Thinks with liver or paté for example. I just wanted to know if I can ask for certain ingredients - such as vinegar, which I cannot abide - to be left off or if it is an all or nothing affair.

Like Rooftop says I would take a gamble and get something you *think* you wont like, you might be pleasantly surprised - the dressings are used very lightly, nothing is drowning in dressing. Order 2 starters (its not a problem) and see how you get on...

I don't always go for the starters OP, on the occasions I didn't I just had the bread roll as a sort of starter/amuse buche. Our waiter soon clocked on to this, and usually by the time the starters were being served asked if I wanted a second roll. Happy days! :D

Hi Spikey M

You will find your waiters only to keen to help you out with the starters if you build a bit of repport with them. Just ignore the remarks made by the individual who is sarcastic to you . My wife and I have cruised with P&O since 2005 and find the waiting staff are excellent. Just remember they are human the same as us and can have good and bad days. Enjoy your cruise.

We have just returned from Azura.

All of the meals are plated now so you can no longer have a small main as a starter.

There are 3 choices on the main menu and approx 6 always available starters which include Melon, prawn cocktail, ceaser salad, Egg mayonnaise, tomato soup probably some others as well.

You can a side salad with no dressing. The problem is on the special formal nights when the Marco menu is on the always available are not available which cuts the choices down somewhat.

If you prefer your prawns without the sauce speak to the restaurant manager on the first day and explain your food preferences ( they refer to them as food allergies) but they will let you see the next days lunch and dinner menu, take your pre order and adapt what is there to your preference.

Hope this helps.

Hi Kersh

We are just back off Ventura and although the mains are pre plated and kept warm in the galley, you can still ask for one as a starter. All they do behind closed doors is scoop a couple of whatever it is onto a smaller plate then serve it.

I agree that the marco menu, which we found hit and miss, limits the rest of the menu somewhat.

Hi all,

Thanks,

Ash and Emma-Jane

On the first night speak to your waiter or the Head waiter explain that you are not keen on sauces and ask if you can pre order your starters. They should then allow you to see the next nights menu before you leave the restaurant each night so that you can pre order your starter as you would like it, either without dressing or with the dressing on the side. They do this for people with special diets so it shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure how this would work if you are on freedom dining but it works well if you are on set seating.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by MrsNobby