Soda Stream?

Hikini

Has anyone here ever taken one along? I have a family member who is going on their first cruise, and he asked about taking along his Soda Stream. I'd never even thought about it, and never have seen anything mentioned here on CC about them.

Thoughts?

I have never heard of anyone trying to take it. If you are flying, the answer is an absolute NO!. The CO canisters can not be taken on the plane. As for the ship, you would almost have to ask them if you can bring the canisters on

My thoughts are no and since you can bring as much soda as you want on board, I wouldn't mess with trying to get the soda stream on board and just buy soda. I have a soda stream and love it, but wouldn't dream of bringing it along. One of the main reasons we have a soda stream is so that we don't have to recycle cans and bottles so much. As you would be on the ship, you wouldn't have this concern. Cost wise, unless you are using a soda mod, you aren't really saving a ton by bringing the soda stream on board vs buying soda. Lastly, soda stream is pretty good, but real coke products still taste better :)

What is the logic behind bringing on a machine that makes soda when you can simply bring soda onboard?

The logic is that the SodaStream fits in a backpack, as opposed to lugging 25lbs of soda cans onboard.

But really, I think you'd be violating domestic and international regulations by bringing a CO2 canister, as it's considered a hazardous material (which is why FedEx and UPS stopped residential pickup of empty containers). I love my SodaStream but I wouldn't consider dragging it on-board a cruise ship! (I can survive a couple of weeks without soda...)

The logic is that the SodaStream fits in a backpack, as opposed to lugging 25lbs of soda cans onboard.

But really, I think you'd be violating domestic and international regulations by bringing a CO2 canister, as it's considered a hazardous material (which is why FedEx and UPS stopped residential pickup of empty containers). I love my SodaStream but I wouldn't consider dragging it on-board a cruise ship! (I can survive a couple of weeks without soda...)

I'm with you. I wouldn't take mine along either, but a relative, getting ready to go on their first cruise, asked the question, so I posed it here.

Sneaking a charged cylinder onto an aircraft is pretty dangerous. Pressurization changes may make it burst. And flooding the baggage compartment with another gas that can replace oxygen won't win you a lot of friends.

As for a cruise line, even if it's not specifically prohibited in a contract, I am sure they won't allow it anyway. Who knows what you are smuggling? Maybe it's not CO2 but something dangerous?

I sincerely hope I don't offend anybody by saying this, but if you are trying to figure out how to lug a soda stream on a cruise ship, you drink too much soda!!! ESPECIALLY if you are comparing it to a 25lb case!! We only drink tap water and iced tea when we are on a ship, and have an alcoholic drink from time to time. Buy the unlimited soda pass, drink what they have, and save a TON of room in your luggage ;)

Edited by UPNYGuy
adding more

I took my weed whacker on RCCL but it turned out the putting course was artificial turf. I felt downright silly.

Not as silly as if you drank so much pop that you had to make it on a vacation.

I didn't know the putting course was artificial grass. I guess you didn't cruise to Colorado.

Edited by luddite

I like to decorate our cabin with helium balloons. Can I bring a large canister of helium?

Disguise it as a giant Coke. Tell'em you gotta have your daily two gallons of real Coke. They'll be OK with it.

I sincerely hope I don't offend anybody by saying this, but if you are trying to figure out how to lug a soda stream on a cruise ship, you drink too much soda!!! ESPECIALLY if you are comparing it to a 25lb case!! We only drink tap water and iced tea when we are on a ship, and have an alcoholic drink from time to time. Buy the unlimited soda pass, drink what they have, and save a TON of room in your luggage ;)

I would LOVE to bring my soda stream on my cruise and I do not drink soda. Just wanted to throw it out there that many of us use it daily don't actually drink soda. In addition to alcohol, I only drink water and love my soda stream. I have it more for convenience since I drink a lot of seltzer and its one of my best purchases.