Taxi to Taormina

NFEB

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a taxi to Taormina from Messina without prebooking. Also, approximately what is the cost and is it a set fee for all taxis.

Thanks so much for any information you can offer.

Yes. But consider hiring that taxi for a few hours. Then he will wait. There are taxis right at the dock, but we found it better to negotiate at the taxi's near the clock tower.

Taormina is essentially one long town with a single street connecting both ends. The Greek amphitheater is on one end and the Church the other end. There are lots of shops, bakeries and places to eat in between.

I would definitely pre-arrange a driver or do a ship tour. We did the ship tour and had ample time there to browse and have a snack. Taxis anywhere in the world are a crap shoot. I've had some real problems with language barriers. Keep in mind that the travel time to Taormina is 40 minutes by taxi. It's going to be a minimum of 80 Euros roundtrip. Call your travel agent.

http://www.taxirobertomirabile.com/

http://wellarrangedtravel.com/sicily-prices-private-tours-palermo-taormina-messina-agrigento-siracusa/

http://www.sicilytaxiservice.com/English/Crociera_Messina.asp

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Want to share some pictures for those who wants to know what to expect in Toarmina.

Be aware of the taxi drivers in front of the docks they have only one game : cheating tourists. Walk some distance round the corner and take a taxi for half day, expect to pay about 80-100 Euro incl. tip.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107289430901088544193/albums/5538213599213151745?banner=pwa

Thanks all! Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Considering the distance and the fact that there are only 2 of us, I will look into an excursion from the ship.

Dinotoll....love the pictures! Looks like a lovely town to explore!

Thanks all! Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Considering the distance and the fact that there are only 2 of us, I will look into an excursion from the ship.

Dinotoll....love the pictures! Looks like a lovely town to explore!

That is certainly an option. Royal Caribbean offered a "Taormina on your own" excursion that wasn't terribly priced (for a ship excursion!). I used it once and found it nice to not have to think about the "to/from" process. A "guide" got us there and walked us to a meeting place inside the town's gates and said "Here's a ticket for a free bottle of water at that cafe over there and I'll see you back here at the meeting time. The Greek Theatre is down that street and to the right. I'll be here for a few minutes to answer any questions you may have. See you later". Personally, I don't think I'd pay for a guided tour here.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

You don't really need a guide in Taormina. I did the ship tour. Upon arrival, we walked to the Ampitheater. He gave us a little schpeal about it and then we were on our own. So the "Taormina on your Own" sounds good but definitely visit the Ampitheater. It is spectacular to sit in the audience and see Mt. Etna off in the distance. Beautiful.

I have to tell you, this ended up being my favorite port last year. I was able to get two cars( vans) full of 8 (16) together. I think if u get 8 it is 30 euro round trip each. Great transportation. They even gave us a bottle of wine each. Transport to and from taromina from messini port

Email

<maurizio.vita@libero.it>

Tell him brendacruise says hi...and I will be recommending him forever, lol!!

Our ship arrives on a Sunday when most of the shops will be closed. How much of a negative will that be?

Shops are not closed on Sunday in Taormina. Why do you think that? The only thing that is closed on Sunday in all of Europe are the pharmacies. There will be one central pharmacy in most cities that stay open but most are closed.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Although some (not all) of the shops are open on Sundays (especially in June/July) most of the decent shops close during the afternoon on all days (usually from about 1-4). So if you get to Taormina in the morning and want to shop/browse, do that upon arrival and save other things for later. This is actually a good rule for most places in Italy, France, Spain and Portugal where afternoon closures are the norm in many places.

Hank

Want to share some pictures for those who wants to know what to expect in Toarmina.

Be aware of the taxi drivers in front of the docks they have only one game : cheating tourists. Walk some distance round the corner and take a taxi for half day, expect to pay about 80-100 Euro incl. tip.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107289430901088544193/albums/5538213599213151745?banner=pwa

Thanks so much for the great pictures. Looking forward to exploring Taormina and will heed your advice about taxis!

Thanks so much for the great pictures. Looking forward to exploring Taormina and will heed your advice about taxis!

We did exactly that 2 years ago. Got a great young man, new car great advice from him. Not a tour guide so could not enter Taormina but easy to walk and a do not miss locale. He was great also in describing everything on the way. Pick us up 1 block away from the ship. Negotiate your price and feel comfortable before venturing. Can't remember the price but the 2 ladies with us wanted to adopt him (Dominic) and take him home.