Booking adult kids in their own cabin

NavyCruiser

Our two kids has been cruising with us for over 20 cruises now.

They are now 21 & 18.

Just booked 2 side-by-side cabins on Carnival Magic for Aug.

Question is: Why does Carnival still won't allow us to book 2 adults in one cabin, & our 21 & 18 y.o. kids in their own cabin? Travel agent still insists that Carnival's policy is that one adult & one child in each cabin, thus my son & I in one cabin, & my wife & daughter in other cabin. Then once onboard, we must go to customer service desk to get an extra keys, but still officially separate on paper.

Carnival says they must be 25 y.o. to book their own cabin.

Seems pretty idiotic policy to us.

So why this stupid policy?

Is there a solution to book w/ 2 adults in one cabin & 2 adult kids on other cabin before we board?

Thanks,

They are now 21 & 18.

Question is: Why does Carnival still won't allow us to book 2 adults in one cabin, & our 21 & 18 y.o. kids in their own cabin? Travel agent still insists that Carnival's policy is that one adult & one child in each cabin, thus my son & I in one cabin, & my wife & daughter in other cabin. Then once onboard, we must go to customer service desk to get an extra keys, but still officially separate on paper.

Is there a solution to book w/ 2 adults in one cabin & 2 adult kids on other cabin before we board?

Thanks,

It's not that your 21-year-old can't be in the cabin by himself. It's that the 19-year-old has to have someone in the cabin with him that's 25 or older.

From Carnival's FAQ: "Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older."

It's not that your 21-year-old can't be in the cabin by himself. It's that the 19-year-old has to have someone in the cabin with him that's 25 or older.

From Carnival's FAQ: "Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older."

That is it in a nut shell.

If both of your kids were over 21, it would be no problem.

They are now 21 & 18.

Thanks,

Your solution is to get a TA who knows the rules of the cruise line.

Not only does an adult not have to be in the room the cabin they are booked in can be on another deck as long as their parents (you) are traveling with them.

Bill

I booked on Monday and the Carnival PVP told me I couldn't book my kids 20 & 19 across the hall in their own room. I politely told him I thought we could as long as it was adjacent rooms. He put me on hold came back and yes, your right, I can book you and your husband in the balcony and the kids across the hall. His original solution was one adult and one kid in each room. So glad he checked, he learned something new!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting.... Our kids, ages 19, 13, 11, 10 will board tomorrow in a cabin that is about 6 doors away from us. We actually had to push the carnival phone agent to get us at least close to one another, as everything he offered us was on opposite corridors.

They are now 21 & 18.

Thanks,

In a nutshell, your travel agent is wrong. You absolutely can book your kids in their own cabin.

From the Carnival website:

How old do you have to be to travel alone? (Traveling with minors)

Carnival's policy regarding guests traveling alone or traveling with minors:

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

- The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian

- The bookings must be cross-referenced with the guardian’s stateroom and documented properly

Guests 12 and younger

- If the relative or guardian insist on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony cabin without a relative/guardian.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

- Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from their relative or guardian.

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

- Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

Show your travel agent this link and click on the correct topic:

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88#q-544381

Edited by stargate fan

I have never had a problem booking both my kids in the same cabin w/ ours across the hall.. Been doing this since my kids were 10&13...

I have seen many post like this and I don't understand it either...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for all the replies & info above.

Will call our TA tomorrow, & now with documented info, to get that corrected.

Guess this was the first time we're side-by-side cabins. Before, they were usually a 4 - 6 cabins apart...

My two (18yo Boy and 13 yo Girl) would kill each other if they were booked together. So guess I'm stuck with them until sister can quit aggravating brother. Someone please tell me that she will outgrow this!!!!:eek:

It's pathetic that we know more about the rules than most travel agents and Carnival reps do..........I've gotten wrong information from them numerous times over the years.

And there's no shortage of wrong and inaccurate information dished out daily right here on Cruise Critic, too.

The only reason they make this so hard, is to ensure that "minors" (according to the cruiseline's age standards), aren't cruising alone, without a "responsible" adult. Families with many kids will need more than 2 cabins, and there's no way to put an "adult" in each room. So, it can be done, you just have to speak to the right person who will do it for you!

The only reason they make this so hard, is to ensure that "minors" (according to the cruiseline's age standards), aren't cruising alone, without a "responsible" adult. Families with many kids will need more than 2 cabins, and there's no way to put an "adult" in each room. So, it can be done, you just have to speak to the right person who will do it for you!

True.

But the lack of common sense just baffles me that a (properly licensed?) travel agent who's booking a family of 4, for 2 side-by-side cabins, would pick this simple arrangement up & can easily override the exception & book it right in the first place....

And there's no shortage of wrong and inaccurate information dished out daily right here on Cruise Critic, too.

True, but usually inaccuracies are corrected on this site rather quickly. Whereas with calling in you often have no clue you are given bad info.

Edited by TwizzlersAddict

Thanks for all the info above, Everyone!

I called our TA this morning, told her to check Carnival's policy & re-book us correctly with 2 adults in one room & 2 kids in other.

She called back an hour later & stated that we were right & updated/corrected the booking, YEA!!!

She also said Carnival also upgraded both of our cabins to the highest 4S interior spa cabins on the 11th deck, with no extra charges... double YEA!!!

So thanks again for the valuable input!!!

They are now 21 & 18.

Question is: Why does Carnival still won't allow us to book 2 adults in one cabin, & our 21 & 18 y.o. kids in their own cabin? Travel agent still insists that Carnival's policy is that one adult & one child in each cabin, thus my son & I in one cabin, & my wife & daughter in other cabin. T[COLOR="Red"]hen once onboard, we must go to customer service desk to get an extra keys, but still officially separate on paper.[/color]

Thanks,

Just an FYI about getting extra keys.

I just had this same thing happen on our first cruise. We sailed just last week on the Sensation.

When I tried to get extra keys, we were told by the customer service desk that they do not do that anymore. This was after three Carnival people told me it would be no problem. She even asked a supervisor who still said no.

It proved to be a difficulty at times because my husband didn't have a key to our room and my son didn't have a key to his room. It wasn't the end of the world, but it was a pain a couple of times.

Just an FYI about getting extra keys.

I just had this same thing happen on our first cruise. We sailed just last week on the Sensation.

When I tried to get extra keys, we were told by the customer service desk that they do not do that anymore. This was after three Carnival people told me it would be no problem. She even asked a supervisor who still said no.

It proved to be a difficulty at times because my husband didn't have a key to our room and my son didn't have a key to his room. It wasn't the end of the world, but it was a pain a couple of times.

This is new and I promise you it will not be a problem for me. When carnival tells me I can't have a key to a room that I paid for and houses my 82 year old Mother or my minor children they are in for a lessen in common sense.

This is new and I promise you it will not be a problem for me. When carnival tells me I can't have a key to a room that I paid for and houses my 82 year old Mother or my minor children they are in for a lessen in common sense.

If "common sense" prevails in the first place, this post wouldn't exist....