Sand Ceremony....what is it?

You and your groom each pour different coloured sand into a container to symbolize your union. You will have to bring your own supplies which you can find on any wedding website or store.

If either of you have children from a previous marriage/relationship, you may also include them by having them pour their own vial/color of sand in. We are doing this, as we think it's a wonderful way to include his kids in the ceremony and show how we are now blended as a family :)

If either of you have children from a previous marriage/relationship, you may also include them by having them pour their own vial/color of sand in. We are doing this, as we think it's a wonderful way to include his kids in the ceremony and show how we are now blended as a family :)

Good idea!

Sorry sent sent too soon. I wanted to use sand from the beach we got engaged at and sand from the beach we get married at. Should I dye the sand from one of the places?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are doing a sand ceremony with our wedding on Sept. 28th. We are going with black and white sand. you can find some great sand ceremony kits on the knot.com or any of those wedding sites. we got some etched glass for a great price. also on the ceremony outline for you send back to "The wedding experience" they will have a place to select if you are doing a sand ceremony.;)

It is a symbolic blending of two different-colored sands into a single vessel. The meaning is clear: The blending of two different beings, the bride and the groom, into a single, inseparable unit that is their marriage -- the joining of their lives.

You can even make your own "sand" by swirling colored chalk sticks into table salt. It will color the salt for you.

As an ordained minister I have done this ceremony with kids as young as two years old, of course with the parents helping. They really enjoy being included into the ceremony and pouring the sand is something they can do.

I usually say something along these lines when I do it:

(Groom, Bride), as a symbol of your union, we take the sands of your lives, each grain being an event, a memory, well executed plan and or disappointments of your past. These vases represent you as an individual before today, I ask you now to fill your hearts desires by blending the sands of your lives together, as the grains spill and scatter and mingle among each other so do they unite as you do today. As you have mixed the grains of your past, so do you build a united future. Just as the sands have endured the tests of time and nature and proven stronger so now do you face your future, and because you are together – so are you stronger.

Just as it is impossible to separate the sands you have just united, so is it impossible to separate the two of you completely anymore.