Summit

hampshire

I am to busy looking at the love of my life sitting across from me to be bothered how others are dressed! Life is far too short - enjoy this splendid time with your loved ones and lower your blood pressure.

Well said, the love of your life is one lucky lady!

Only if it's a very short skirt. It will get you in everywhere. ;)

That is a sexist and unnecessary statement. It should be deleted by the host/moderator. Or are some posters immune to the rules. Not funny!!!!

I think we've made a "meal" out of this topic. There seems to be no changing the minds of those who sail Celebrity knowing they have two formal nights and basically still have the "screw you, I'll wear what I want" mindset. Maybe they should sail on carnival. :rolleyes:

maybe you should show some respect for others opinions, or sail the Staten Island Ferry and wear a tux

I'm really surprised to read so many comments suggesting that the formal dress code isn't followed, or reinforced, on what brands itself as a 5 Star cruise line.

I suspect there's a difference between what the majority of American cruisers want and what the majority of British cruisers want, and Celebrity's status as an American line, carrying predominantly American cruisers (on cruises departing American ports anyway), might be a factor.

I'd add two things of note...

1. On the British cruise line P&O (which is only a '4 Star' line), formal dress codes are strictly reinforced and followed by virtually everybody. From memory, the dress codes apply everywhere on the ship except for the buffet (and perhaps one bar - i can't actually remember if I saw a bar not following them). There are signs at the entrance of all bars, and people are actively turned away. At least 90% of people are wearing dinner suits, and lounge suits would be rare. I mention this as anecdotal evidence to reinforce the suggestion that different attitudes of the Brit / USA cultures might be a factor; more so than the star rating of the ship?

2. I will be off on a Celebrity Eclipse cruise departing UK later in August, and I will be interested to see how the dress codes are followed there. Essentially, is there more of a formal dress code following on Celebrity cruises departing from the UK than there is on ones departing from the US?

Edited by Saintston

I suspect there's a difference between what the majority of American cruisers want and what the majority of British cruisers want, and Celebrity's status as an American line, carrying predominantly American cruisers (on cruises departing American ports anyway), might be a factor.

I'd add two things of note...

1. On the British cruise line P&O (which is only a '4 Star' line), formal dress codes are strictly reinforced and followed by virtually everybody.

I think you may be on to something. I am a second generation Brit so I may have a foot in both camps. This is perhaps the British upbringing, but I will say it does not occur to me to seek a way to break rules set out by the cruise line in order to suit my personal whim. That would be considered disrespectful to both the cruise line which is trying to offer something special to its passengers and to all the other passengers. I feel that same way about the person who thinks their kids should be allowed in the adult pool. This behavior is a bit selfish actually.

It seems to me if one has such a terrible adversity to a formal night, they might be better off sailing on a line Norwegian which does not offer them, rather than look gauche and out of place by wearing BBQ clothes into the formal dining room. Quite honestly, I usually feel sorry for people who do that.

I think you may be on to something. I am a second generation Brit so I may have a foot in both camps. This is perhaps the British upbringing, but I will say it does not occur to me to seek a way to break rules set out by the cruise line in order to suit my personal whim. That would be considered disrespectful to both the cruise line which is trying to offer something special to its passengers and to all the other passengers. I feel that same way about the person who thinks their kids should be allowed in the adult pool. This behavior is a bit selfish actually.

It seems to me if one has such a terrible adversity to a formal night, they might be better off sailing on a line Norwegian which does not offer them, rather than look gauche and out of place by wearing BBQ clothes into the formal dining room. Quite honestly, I usually feel sorry for people who do that.

Far from finding a way to break the dress codes, my experience of P&O passengers was that they would exert a fair amount of passive aggressive pressure on those who did dare break the dress codes. It helped that the breakers were the exception to the rule of course!

maybe you should show some respect for others opinions, or sail the Staten Island Ferry and wear a tux

Generally speaking, one can respect someone's right to express an opinion while disagreeing with the content of their opinion. Sure everyone can express their opinion, but I think people are free to use their own judgement on what they think the value of each opinion is worth.

Disagreeing with someone is not the same as saying they don't have the right to speak (or type, as it were...).

Norwegian does offer a formal night but it is not mandatory and trust me my cruises on NCL have been pretty darn good! In addition, I find people on NCL to be dressed very nice, casual but nice and clean.. Most people do not wear shorts in the dining rooms but to be honest I have spotted a few…

Dressing formal on formal night is not a rule on Celebrity, it is a request. Perhaps if they made it a rule or a requirement they could enforce it..

My understanding that its not a required on Celebrity either, but if you choose to eat in the MDR, you are "requested" to dress formally. If you don't want to dress formally there are many free or low cost options.

The issue are people who don't respect that and want to eat in the MDR and not dress formally. It just seems a shame that people who cant simply follow the rules pne or two nights put the staff in the position of turning them away and enforcing the rules, esp since they are tip dependent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My understanding that its not a required on Celebrity either, but if you choose to eat in the MDR, you are "requested" to dress formally. If you don't want to dress formally there are many free or low cost options.

The issue are people who don't respect that and want to eat in the MDR and not dress formally. It just seems a shame that people who cant simply follow the rules pne or two nights put the staff in the position of turning them away and enforcing the rules, esp since they are tip dependent.

Well said!!!

Celebrity has to start enforcing the dress code, years ago people wouldn't step foot in the MDR on formal night the way people dress today. It has no effect on me at all, I don't really care with others do but if those of you who really care and want formal night to be formal attire in the DR, I would suggest you all ask Celebrity to require formal attire and enforce it..

Edited by antsnanny

Celebrity has to start enforcing the dress code, years ago people wouldn't step foot in the MDR on formal night the way people dress today. It has no effect on me at all, I don't really care with others do but if those of you who really care and want formal night to be formal attire in the DR, I would suggest you all ask Celebrity to require formal attire and enforce it..

Oh, since Celebrity doesn't enforce it, that absolves you and your ilk of their personal responsibility to abide by the dress code for formal night?

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." I get it. ;)

Oh, since Celebrity doesn't enforce it, that absolves you and your ilk of their personal responsibility to abide by the dress code for formal night?

I have said on several occasions, I dress formal on formal nights as does DH… I have also said its none of my business what others do and if Celebrity doesn't like what there wearing they can asks them to go elsewhere and they don't. I continue to enjoy my dinner and cruise, dispute how others dress. The reason they don't enforce the "request" to wear formal attire in the MDR is they don't want to loose customers who don't care to dress up. If they turn them away and force them to pay 40-50 dollars for a specialty restaurant or worse yet have dinner in the buffet, there going to choose another line next time… Celebrity knows that..

Not what you think you get? This lady doth protest too much?? What the heck does that mean?

Edited by antsnanny

We just received an invitation to a "Black Tie" wedding in Boston. Can't I just wear my "good jeans" and a "nice" t'shirt to that? Why should I have to dress up just because the bride and groom do? And just because they said I have to? And because the waiters will be in tuxes?.............

OK, so I am joking but you get my point. My DH and I LOVE formal nights. I love seeing everyone in fancy evening outfits. Women can wear a simple long dress and look smashing. Men in tuxedos make me swoon.

How long will it be before the wait staff wears baseball caps and red t-shirts to serve us if we don't care how WE dress? Again, I LOVE formal and that's why I choose Celebrity. (Yes, I absolutely DO care what others are wearing and I would ask to be moved if we were dining with others who are NOT formally dressed. Hmmph!)

Edited by Palm Trees

the whole cruise experience on celebrity is casual and appealing to the same cruisers that would go on princess, carnival, RC or any other of the low end lines

thinking that your cruise maintains a tradition of luxury by playing dress up for two hours twice a week is kind of silly

Totally agree note that the true high end cruise lines have gone country club casual all the time.

In today's society formal is pretty much passé so why keep it alive on a cruise ship. To me it is just a waste of luggage space.

We just received an invitation to a "Black Tie" wedding in Boston. Can't I just wear my "good jeans" and a "nice" t'shirt to that? Why should I have to dress up just because the bride and groom do? And just because they said I have to? And because the waiters will be in tuxes?.............

OK, so I am joking but you get my point. My DH and I LOVE formal nights. I love seeing everyone in fancy evening outfits. Women can wear a simple long dress and look smashing. Men in tuxedos make me swoon.

How long will it be before the wait staff wears baseball caps and red t-shirts to serve us if we don't care how WE dress? Again, I LOVE formal and that's why I choose Celebrity. (Yes, I absolutely DO care what others are wearing and I would ask to be moved if we were dining with others who are NOT formally dressed. Hmmph!)

For some people it would be an imposition to be invited to a black tie wedding. We do own formal attire because we cruise a lot but I know a lot of people who who would have to decline because the cost for clothing, plus gift etc. would put the cost of attending a wedding over the top. I feel the cruise lines should accommodate people like yourself who love dressing formal and maintain a formal night. I'm sure you have read about what Royal is doing on their Quantum class ships.. That said, for those who either don't like dressing formal or the cost would cut into their vacation spending money and limit excursions etc. Celebrity could offer them something better at 40 to 50 dollars on a specialty or the buffet are not good dinner options for them.. I think that it really gets down to the fact that a lot of people are liking the more casual way of cruising and where Celebrity wants to call themselves a premium line they don't want to loose the business of the casual cruisers. We're sailing once again in September and were bringing formal attire but I respect those who aren't, for whatever their reason they don't have to dress please me or my eyes. It's their vacation too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Totally agree note that the true high end cruise lines have gone country club casual all the time.

In today's society formal is pretty much passé so why keep it alive on a cruise ship. To me it is just a waste of luggage space.

Agree, 100 percent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For some people it would be an imposition to be invited to a black tie wedding.

And what do people do when they are invited to a black tie event and don't have he appropriate garments to wear?

1) Go get the garments necessary

2) Rent the garments necessary

3) Don't attend the event and go someplace else that evening

These 3 options work as well for cruising, however cruisers just seem to make a new option:

4) Go wearing whatever the heck I want to wear, wishes of my host and policies in place be damned. I'll never have to see those people again anyway.

And what do people do when they are invited to a black tie event and don't have he appropriate garments to wear?

1) Go get the garments necessary

2) Rent the garments necessary

3) Don't attend the event and go someplace else that evening

These 3 options work as well for cruising, however cruisers just seem to make a new option:

4) Go wearing whatever the heck I want to wear, wishes of my host and policies in place be damned. I'll never have to see those people again anyway.

for such a "rules" guy like yourself, how do you reconcile bringing on extension cords and power strips when celebrity has them on the prohibited list?

for such a "rules" guy like yourself, how do you reconcile bringing on extension cords and power strips when celebrity has them on the prohibited list?

I do feel there is a grey area on many things. A "sliding scale" of appropriateness I guess one could say.

Extensions cords and power strips don't seem to encroach upon the experiences of other cruisers - I keep them out of sight and well hidden and don't go flaunting it about the ship. I've have had my bags searched on embarkation, and had security folks allow them to pass anyway. I do take care to ensure they are in good repair, and proper gauge wiring to ensure safety.

Dining attire does encroach on other cruisers evenings, as some here in this thread have noted.

And I have also brought 4 bottles of champagne aboard one one cruise too, 2 in carryon 2 in packed luggage. This did not seem to affect any other cruiser's experience. In fact the person who enjoyed them with me found their experience enhanced.

And I have used elite coupons on a sailing after the one I was on that they were issued on. This did not seem to affect any other cruiser's experience.

And I have shared my Captain's Club elite drink vouchers when I had the premium drink package already. This did not seem to affect any other cruiser's experience, in fact it enhanced that person's experience.

And I went to a captain's club elite event in shorts, but when reminded of the policy prohibiting them, I left and came back the rest of the week, following the dress code so as not to encroach on the desire for the others to have an enjoyable experience.

But if you like, ok "I'm a bad and terrible person. Bad Curt, bad, bad Curt."

Edited by cle-guy

I don't think you're a bad person. You just choose to follow the rules you think are important, and disregard the ones you don't feel are important.

Your extension cords and power cords certainly don't affect me (as long as you don't cause a fire). Smuggling liquor doesn't affect me either.

You just seem a tad sanctimonious with the rules when it suits your needs, and not so much when the rules inconvenience you.

Carry on.

I don't think you're a bad person. You just choose to follow the rules you think are important, and disregard the ones you don't feel are important.

Your extension cords and power cords certainly don't affect me (as long as you don't cause a fire). Smuggling liquor doesn't affect me either.

You just seem a tad sanctimonious with the rules when it suits your needs, and not so much when the rules inconvenience you.

Carry on.

The rules that you feel I am "sanctimonious" on, are these that have an effect on the atmosphere of a cruise as a whole, that affect people besides myself. Those include dress codes, suite perks, bars and restaurants, drinks packages and music (although that discussion music has nothing to do with rules but the choice X makes) among them.

I had done research for a thread in the NCL pages a week or so ago about ship fires assuming a reason for banning irons was fire-related. Turns out that there is not one ship fire in the last 20 years (that's just as far as I looked back) for anything in a passenger cabin other than cigarette smoking. Nothing electrical, no extension cord and no hot iron. So I feel safe with my UL-Listed in brand new condition cords as I do using them at home.

I think even the most rules following person on the planet does not follow them 100% of the time. I imagine even one that does, probably has gone 56 MPH in a 55MPH zone at some point or another as an example.

IN a prior reply in this thread I asked:

• I'm curious, to those who feel it's acceptable to come to the MDR not dressed in formalwear, for whatever reason, even though it IS the policy to wear formal wear on those evenings
  • Is it OK to ignore the policy requiring Captain's Club members to dress in long pants when attending Elite Events...we let she Formal Night attire slip on formal nights in MDR so why not let it slip for elite events too.
  • Is it OK to ignore the smoking policy and light up on a balcony or in the casino or anyplace out doors not just within the designated smoking areas? I've been smoking my whole life, I know how not to make a fire with my cigarette and properly extinguish it in a water bottle or sink full of water.
  • Is it OK to ignore the policy of no children in the solarium pool when the outdoor pools are open? Kids deserve to use the fun thalasotherapy pool too.
  • Is it OK to ignore the policy of only allowing Aqua and Suite guests into BLU, we all want to get in there. After All I paid my fare.
  • Is it OK to ignore the policy that you can not carry on more than 2 bottles of wine, I mean, come on, every one can go thru more than 2 bottles of wine.
  • Is it OK to ignore the Drinking Policy that says you must be 21 or older, that only applies in the USA anyway, we're not there most of the time on our journey. Let those teenagers have a good time, they can go to war after all and fight.
  • Is it OK to ignore the policy of not allowing irons on board, I am well in tune with its proper use, and there's no chance I'll burn the ship down and I bring a self shut off timer for it anyway, like they provide on other cruise lines that allow use of irons in cabin. I've done a lot of research, turns out there's not a single incident in at least the last 20 years of a ship fire caused by an iron anyway - that's why some lines still deliver them to the cabin on request. I shouldn't have to PAY for ironing services.

l'm just not sure how to know what policies should be enforced versus which ones should not. Whats's the logic one should follow to determine which are meant to be followed versus which are meant to be ignored. Maybe I am missing something.....

As these are issues that come up often, but no one had an answer for my query.

Edited by cle-guy

And I went to a captain's club elite event in shorts, but when reminded of the policy prohibiting them, I left and came back the rest of the week, following the dress code so as not to encroach on the desire for the others to have an enjoyable experience.

I'm one who doesn't follow the rules about dress code and my main and only reason is I feel very unconfortable with a jacket and ties.... I don't wear jeans and t-shirt...

If the maitre D tell me I can't enter, I had 2 choices either go get my jacket and enter then take it out and put it on my chair or go eat other places....

But on all my cruises on Celebrity, they never stop me....

But you said that you went to the club elite event in short, what would you do if the person didn't stop you ????

BTW, this will be my last comment on this thread or any other thread about dress code...

it's going nowhere.....

You have your opinions and some have others....

Like Nancy said earlier, If it's a problem for you, ask Celebrity to reinforce theirs policies....

To all, enjoy your future cruise....

BTW, this will be my last comment on this thread or any other thread about dress code...

it's going nowhere.....

You have your opinions and some have others....

Like Nancy said earlier, If it's a problem for you, ask Celebrity to reinforce theirs policies....

To all, enjoy your future cruise....

I have said similar things in past and just can't help myself from time to time.

I wonder if other cruise line threads have similar threads that are repeated. (Dress code, can I make early flight, mdr food quality, etc)