Veterans Get Together

I am looking at a compass from March for a 4-night Enchantment cruise, and I noticed there is a "Veterans Get Together" listed for day 3.

Is the veterans get together a common occurrence? This is the one thing my DH got excited about when I told him. Ha! TIA.

Not sure if they are on every cruise as a formal ship event. I've been on a cruise over Veterans Day & the CD organized one with light snacks. Was nice to hear as each veteran told a little about their service, I actually met a gent who had been on a submarine in the squadron my sub tender was in. On other cruises the CD at a show has asked veterans in the audience to stand.

You can always post an informal group meeting on the bulletin board outside guest relations, where they post the bridge clubs, purple hats etc

There was a veterans get together on one of the cruises I was on, I think it was on Vision in dec 2012.

I do not know who organized it but it was a nice event and a little sad ,,,,,,, we remembered some of the veterans who were with some of us at one time but they are here no more.

There was a large group of us, maybe 50 or so.

Edited by wieslaw

Certainly not on every cruise -- I wouldn't even say they are common. We had one on our TA aboard Independence. I would say there were 15-20 of us in the Schooner Bar one sea day afternoon. We started comparing service backgrounds, then one of the group started talking about flying B17s over Europe in WWII. The rest of us mostly just listened after that. Hard act to follow.

Mark Sette, from the Explorer puts on a great Veteran's get together. He put one together on the Explorer on Veteran's Day the other year in Dizzy's lounge. It was standing room only and he bought everyone a drink who wanted one for a toast. It was a very moving experience. He is a great guy, who we met while he was HR Manager on the Enchantment. He then transferred to the Explorer. Not all cruises have a Veteran's get together, but I think if there is interest, they will have one, but it is self directed. That happens on the Grandeur. Sometimes they have them scheduled and sometimes they will find a time and place for you to meet. They are good that way.

If there isn't one scheduled, ask at Guest Relations about having one. I am sure they would be happy to arrange one. Or you could put a notice up on the Bulletin Board near GS and plan to meet at a certain time and place for your own get together.

My husband (A former Marine, and I know the motto "Once a Marine, always a Marine") is always excited to attend the Veteran's get together.

I sure hope Mark is on the Explorer when we cruise August 28th. He is always a pleasure to meet up with and always so welcoming and friendly. We just love him.

Gwen :)

We were on the Jewel in March/April of this year and there was a Veteran's get together listed in the cruise compass, however it was not well attended for some reason - only 3 veterans showed up and I went with my DH - The three of them had a nice chat about their service, then a nurse and a Dr. (Phyciatrist) from one of the VA hospitals near Washington DC showed up and we chatted some more. This is the first time I have seen it listed as an event in the cruise compass, it was nice and I think it should be offered on all ships, they deserve it. :D

I was on the Enchantment this past May and a Veterans Get Together was listed in the Compass. It was to be held in the Schooner bar and I and my DW were the only one's to show up. I heard there may have been another but not sure as I didn't check.

I am looking at a compass from March for a 4-night Enchantment cruise, and I noticed there is a "Veterans Get Together" listed for day 3.

Is the veterans get together a common occurrence? This is the one thing my DH got excited about when I told him. Ha! TIA.

that was strictly on EN as it was oprganbized by an Ameican( veteran) Staff member.

IIRC said staff member is no longer is on EN.

DH used to attend all of them on the cruises out of Baltimore. since she is now in FL I am not sure if it was kept up or not.

that was strictly on EN as it was oprganbized by an Ameican( veteran) Staff member.

IIRC said staff member is no longer is on EN.

DH used to attend all of them on the cruises out of Baltimore. since she is now in FL I am not sure if it was kept up or not.

They do have them on the Grandeur. At least the last several times we were on her. Just ask at GS, if it is not in the Compass. It is usually held the first full sea day. But, they are self directed. No host, except to welcome you to the venue for the meeting. Sometimes they are held on the last full sea day too. Last time, in March, I believe, they had 2 meetings because they had a gentleman from WWII that had some great stories to tell and couldn't do it all in one meeting.

Gwen :)

• 11 months later...

We were surprised that our recent Celebrity transatlantic cruise did not include a scheduled meeting for Veterans. Military veterans represent a large percentage of the passenger profile on many cruises, especially those of longer duration or several days at sea. I set a meeting up myself with Passenger Relations, and considering that the ship refused to announce it in the daily ship’s flyer, we had a very good turnout. They did go ahead and post a small card on the bulletin board outside guest relations, but few people visit such the board.

Prior to any cruise, we recommend veterans ask their cruise companies if a veterans meeting is scheduled, and if one is not scheduled, ask for such a meeting. If the company refuses, or does not clearly agree to set one up, then set one up yourself at the first opportunity onboard. The meeting should be held early in the cruise to allow veterans’ comradeship to continue the remainder of the cruise. Then publicize the meeting via the Cruise Critic Rollcall for your voyage.

I have attended such veterans meetings onboard most of our cruises, and they have always been very meaningful to the attendees. The ships staff seem to appreciate veterans’ service, contributions and sacrifices to our country and the world, and are usually glad to support such a meeting.

There was a veteran's meeting on the Grandeur in late May. There were vets as old as WWII. That night they called out all vets to sing the national anthem on the steps at the Centrum. I was proud to be one of the vets who was thanked for my service to my country.

George

My DH went to a very well attended Veterans Get Together on our most recent Freedom of the cruise. Fortunately I still have the Compasses and by golly, it was hosted by Mark Sette! It was held in the Schooner Bar at 1:00 p.m. on our first at-sea day, Day 3. DH was very impressed with Mark.

My Enchantment Day 3 (of a 4 day cruise) Compass showed a Veterans Get Together (unhosted) at 10:00 a.m. in the Schooner Bar.

Cathy