Behind the scenes tour

For those who stay in a suite your concierge might be able to book these tours for free. When on the Vision we received a different invitation every day for different tours. DH asked on our recent cruise if concierge could arrange for a bridge tour and he did. DH, DS and GS went it was about an hour.;)

The tours for the suite guests are free, but they are nowhere near as extensive as the All-Access tour.

Just got off the Oasis on Saturday and took the All-Access Tour on Thursday morning.

Tour itself was just under 3 hours long. Started at 9:15 and had to be off the bridge before the captain's noon address to the guests. We toured the galley on Deck 4, the stock rooms, walked I-95, stopped by the Engine Control Room, went through the Crew Dining Hall and bar, and then went to the bridge. Pictures were permitted everywhere except I-95, and video was permitted everywhere except the storage rooms, engine room, I-95, and bridge. The only thing we were offered throughout the entire tour was bottled water in the crew disco, which was so close to the end, it might as well have not been offered at all.

It was a good tour, but I'm not sure what we were able to see and experience was worth the $150 per person they charged, especially with some of the restrictions they had in place.

It seems a little cheap/sad that Royal isn't consistently including some little trinkets as souvenirs for the tour. It seemingly would not cost them much $, but it seems like it would add to the atmosphere for the guest...i.e. "I got this special souvenir that was only given to people who went on the tour!"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Cruisin' Cats

I'm so happy I started cruising when I did. On my first ever cruise on Costa Riviera we got a free tour of the galley and steam turbine engine room (the latter is not for the faint of heart!). One night my friend and I ventured up to the bridge, and the officer on duty invited us in for a personal tour.

On Regal Empress, the chief engineer, Wolfgang Düsing, took me alone on a personal tour of the engineering spaces, and I'm talking about going up and down ladders with my camera case slung around my back that I would not attempt today! Of course, I was always allowed to go to the bridge any time I wanted, and even given the code to the door. Being good friends with the captain always helps. Went to the crew bar to party, and hung out in a crew member friend's cabin.

Thus, I've seen this stuff, and would NEVER pay $150 a head to see the latest and greatest!

Sadly, these days, that's how you have to do it. :(

Edited by loubetti

We just did the All Access Tour on Explorer on June 27. While I agree it's expensive, and not something we'd do every cruise, it was an amazing tour.

My pics are in my sort of review, here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2063993&page=2

In our case, we were on the bridge when Captain Rick Sullivan did his noon address, and he made a point of coming over and speaking, albeit briefly, to our group.

• 1 month later...
Where is the "precruise planner?

1 Login

2 Select the reservation# for the cruise you wish to purchase items

3 Countdown to Cruise page will appear

Select "CRUISE PLANNER" tab

imagejpg1_zpsb296930d.jpg

4 Click "GET STARTED"

5 Select the tabs you need for options you wish to purchase

For all access tour , select "ONBOARD ACTIVITIES" tab

imagejpg1_zps1d0f8757.jpg

Other tabs if needed

imagejpg2_zpsa5952424.jpg

I have removed all of our information, but at least you will see the correct pages you should be at.

Hope this helps.

Happy Days!

Edited by PompeySailor

The next time I am on Oasis or Allure and have an extra $300 OBC, I think I'll try it. I have a hard time spending an extra $300 of my cash, but in 2011 I got a $300 obc when the cabin price dropped and I had already paid in full. Or if I have more than $300 OBC from my RC credit card. All the reviews of the tour seem enjoyable.

I don't mean to put a damper on this topic, but in asking when and how you can reserve this tour brings up a sore topic from my past. I sailed the Oasis in March, 2012 and reserved this tour at the customer service desk early in the week. I received printed confirmation of my reservation. When I arrived for the start of the tour, I was told that my name was not on the list. I presented my printed confirmation. The employee agreed that an error had been made somewhere in the process and offered me the opportunity to wait in case there was a no show. Only 12 or 15 people, I don't remember the number, are allowed on the tour. At a few minutes past the start time, there were 2 no shows and I thought I was in. But no, the two did show and I was not allowed on the tour. I argued that since an obvious mistake was made, why would they not allow an extra person on the tour. I was told that they were not allowed. I went to the customer service desk to complain and I was told that nothing could be done.

I love RCCL and have sailed 3 times since. I will be sailing on the Allure in November. But, I was really looking forward to this tour and was denied participation. To this day, I believe that a more "respected" passenger, possibly a suite passenger or a higher level Crown and Anchor passenger was slotted in my place and my reservation was cancelled without my being told. I was not quite Platinum at the time. I am now Emerald. Would I ever pay $150 and attempt to take this tour in the future, like, for example my upcoming Allure cruise? Not a chance.

We were very fortunate last year on Enchantment. They were advertising the tour on one of the ships channels for $75 per couple. I don't know if this was the original price or they discounted it to fill the tour. We bought it the night before and thoroughly enjoyed it. The tour and gifts were as already described. Not sure I would do it for $300, probably $150 (for two) max.

• 1 month later...
Just got off the Oasis on Saturday and took the All-Access Tour on Thursday morning.

Tour itself was just under 3 hours long. Started at 9:15 and had to be off the bridge before the captain's noon address to the guests. We toured the galley on Deck 4, the stock rooms, walked I-95, stopped by the Engine Control Room, went through the Crew Dining Hall and bar, and then went to the bridge. Pictures were permitted everywhere except I-95, and video was permitted everywhere except the storage rooms, engine room, I-95, and bridge. The only thing we were offered throughout the entire tour was bottled water in the crew disco, which was so close to the end, it might as well have not been offered at all.

It was a good tour, but I'm not sure what we were able to see and experience was worth the $150 per person they charged, especially with some of the restrictions they had in place.

According to the RC website, this tour should last 3.5 hrs. I'm thinking about booking it on the last day at sea on my upcoming Oasis cruise. Does anyone have any input as to which time slot would be better? It is offered at 8:30 and at 9:15. I'd hate for the tour to be "cut-short" because of the noon address, as is implied in the quote above.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums