Power strips, what size or brand?

Augie's mom

we will be traveling on the Noordam in October. I remember from my first cruise I had trouble plugging in my curling iron, I should have had a power strip would have made it possible. What size power strip should I get?

thanks in advance.

Terri

Know Before You Go says:

If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland

America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please

contact the Front Office for more information.

None of them. Obtain a strip from the front desk, anything else may pose a fire hazard.
That may be true for some older and defective strips, but it is not the main reason that cruise lines do not want power strips with surge protectors on their ships:

The reason surge protectors are not allowed is that ship's power systems are different than shore power systems that the surge protectors are designed for. On land, one of the "legs" of the power system (one of the flat pins that carry current) is grounded to the ground pin (round one needed to protect you from electric shock) at your circuit breaker panel. Ships keep these two wires separate, so that stray current does not flow through the "ground" which is the ship's hull. These stray currents will create a mild battery effect in sea water, causing corrosion to the hull. Therefore, there are monitoring and alarm circuits onboard that measure the amount of current flowing in the hull, and surge protectors can set off these alarms.

The trouble for us Europeans is that the front desk usually only has them for American style plugs so not suitable for us.
In that case, bring one without surge protection and take it to the Front Desk for approval.

I just packed (for our cruise leaving Saturday) the Belkin 3 outlet w/USB ports power strip. It does have surge protection. Should I unpack it and try to find something else? What is the issue with power strips and surge?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just packed (for our cruise leaving Saturday) the Belkin 3 outlet w/USB ports power strip. It does have surge protection. Should I unpack it and try to find something else? What is the issue with power strips and surge?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Read the quote from ChengPK a few posts ago, #6 I believe. It explains the surge issue.

My apologies, not enough coffee this morning when I was reading....

No need to apologize. Lord knows I've skipped over things when I been reading /skimming the boards. :)