Are coats necessary

frac

The bar for what is allowed to be worn in the MDR for Formal Nights is like the "Limbo Stick" ... keeps getting lower! :D

LuLu

It is a reflection of society in general. Tie wearing in the office is in serious decline in the UK and this roles over into what is worn to go out for a meal.

I would wear a jacket if I was going somewhere nice on a cool evening but I'm afraid my ties languish in my wardrobe. As with the OP I think most of them would be too tight now :)

The problem with this “policy” is its subject to the whims of the dining room management and can vary all over the place.

On a recent cruise we were offered a jacket in Pinnacle while other guests were seated with just a dress shirt and tie, no jacket. We got the impression from the manager that tie was the minimum acceptable. They were gracious to us and we reciprocated and enjoyed our dinner.

For my two cents if you are going to have a “policy: then enforce it or change it, which HAL seems incapable of :mad:

Bob

Hi Bob. Have fond memories of Keswick.:) My folks had a place in Jackson's Point and later, Sutton. Enjoy your summer on Lake Simcoe. I too wish HAL would enforce their dress code if they insist on having one. :rolleyes: I for one, enjoy dressing up on formal nights.

I totally agree. On our last Veendam cruise (Canada/New England 5/31-6/14/2014) we saw people in shorts and tees on formal night. DH brings a jacket and tie (cruises are the only time he wears one!:D and I was in a long dress. There were so few people that kept to the dress code that I felt out of place. I'm not sure about our upcoming Alaska cruise. Oh well - to each their own

Terry

Please continue to dress up and to heck with the rest of them. I love to dress up and give the evil eye to those that don't. Enjoy Alaska. :)

...Now DH sometimes just takes a navy blazer, charcoal dress pants and ties for formal nights.

I won't dress up to eat, and don't care how others dress when they eat, but I just want to say this is my favorite dress-up look for any man, especially one who's got a few years under his belt. I'm sure your DH looks great!

Our neighbors are cruising in Alaska next month. They're flying across country and don't want to pay lots for extra bags for souveniers.

Thus, he bought a sport jacket at a consignment shop for $10. Says he'll wear it for the formal nights with a tie then leave it behind at the end leaving room for all the souvenir t-shirts he buys. :D Cheaper than checking an extra bag :D

Thought this was a fair question but did not expect the number of responses (each and every one I respect). Just our first cruise on Holland America and was curious. Been on 45+ deep water cruises and several European river cruises on different lines and have enjoyed every one. Love to relax and meet people and so does my wife. Thanks again for all your input. No better way to travel. May all your seas be behind you.

Edited by frac

...On our last Veendam cruise (Canada/New England 5/31-6/14/2014) we saw people in shorts and tees on formal night....

Our neighbors are cruising in Alaska next month. They're flying across country and don't want to pay lots for extra bags for souveniers.

Thus, he bought a sport jacket at a consignment shop for $10. Says he'll wear it for the formal nights with a tie then leave it behind at the end leaving room for all the souvenir t-shirts he buys. :D Cheaper than checking an extra bag :D

Although we tend to be more formal than many cruisers, we do not mind pax stretching the limits of the dress code. But there is a limit.

I am certainly not the fashion police but I probably would mention to pax <<in shorts and tees on formal night >> that there was a dress code that was requested on the ship.

Also, I’m sure your neighbor will look really spiffy in his $10 sport jacket.

What ever happened to dressing nicely for a pleasant dinner?

Scott & Karen

Everyone has their own style and comfort level with what they wear, especially for dinner. There are many cruise lines that one may select and if you do not like formal nights, please select either alternative dining in the Lido, room service or another cruise line. Many of us love the formal nights and it is one reason we still cruise HAL. Thanks for asking about alternative dining rather than muscling into the MDR and possibly embarrassing the maître d'.

What ever happened to dressing nicely for a pleasant dinner?

And that leaves the question....."What does "nicely " mean to an individual? If the ship guidelines are just that and there is no requirement even for a tie, the door is left open to individual interpretations. No reason to be "staring daggers" at a "no jacket" fellow as one poster said here. :rolleyes:

I know 10 years ago there were people who stared those daggers at my husband for "only " wearing a dark suit, as opposed to a tux. Now people are ok with sport coat or dark blazer with tie. As with other "formal nights" on Celebrity and Princess which have similar demographics, it's up to the maitre d and Captain what will be allowed on a particular cruise. BUT... Because it varies from ship to ship, there will always be debate, won't there?

I know MY views have changed over the last 5 years or so. Maybe age makes everything much less important to me. As long as people are dressed "nicely"...in MY eyes, I don't mind what night it is.

Edited by eandj

I agree. It's all about having fun. I also agree that dressing nicely and using alternative dining is a great option. We always have and will continue to do so. Cheers

I won't dress up to eat, and don't care how others dress when they eat, but I just want to say this is my favorite dress-up look for any man, especially one who's got a few years under his belt. I'm sure your DH looks great!

so you refuse to follow the rules? What do you wear to a wedding? wake and furneral? Jeans shorts, I don't care what you wear but have some respect to those in MDR on formal night.. Read the rules eat in the Lido.

I wonder what would happen if more people like you refuse to follow the rules and put my life in jeapardy just because you wanted it your way

Mary

Men

Please why do you have to wear baseball caps or what ever you call them EVERYWHERE? do you sleep with them on? It drives me nuts to see these stupid caps on in the MDR. Do you wear them to church? furneral, weddinings, work. Its just not young people its older men now rearing them. Can you leave them in your cabin for a hour or two why you eat. I saw men in the mdr with them on.

Pet peve

Mary

Bob Dylan was so right. Just to keep things in perspective, a hundred years ago a tuxedo was considered informal when dining. I'm reminded of the following excerpt from Ken Follett's “Fall of Giants” when reading this and similar threads:

Fitz returned to his dressing room. Some men had abandoned tailcoats and white ties, and wore short tuxedo jackets and black ties at dinner, citing the war as their excuse. Fitz did not see the connection. Why should war oblige people to dress informally?

Men Please why do you have to wear baseball caps or what ever you call them EVERYWHERE? do you sleep with them on? It drives me nuts to see these stupid caps on in the MDR.

I feel the same way - can't quite understand the need for a baseball cap indoors. We have a house rule that there are no baseball caps worn inside the house' date=' and no matter where we dine (at home or in a restaurant), it's a no-hat rule. Our son, my step-son and our son-in-law all know when they're with me, it's a hat-free meal . . . not sure if they're following it out of respect, or fear. :D LOL DH doesn't wear baseball caps, but wears a hat in summer, and it always comes off when he enters a building.[/size']

We were both totally surprised when we went to the Mediterranean and saw many men entering places of religious significance keeping their hats / caps on. To us, that was just a sign of disrespect. Others may differ, but that's how we felt.

As far as formal attire on formal nights - we love to dress up and arrive at the dining room with DH in his tux and me in my sparkly finery. Wouldn't have it any other way, but again, others obviously don't feel the same; it doesn't affect our meal, but we know we are complying with the requested dress for the evening.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

so you refuse to follow the rules? What do you wear to a wedding? wake and furneral? Jeans shorts' date=' I don't care what you wear but have some respect to those in MDR on formal night.. Read the rules eat in the Lido. I wonder what would happen if more people like you refuse to follow the rules and put my life in jeapardy just because you wanted it your way

Mary[/quote']

Ahem...I said I don't dress up to eat. I think there are times and places to dress up, but eating isn't one of them. You're free to think what you like about eating and dressing up. Every cruise line offers a casual alternative to every.single.passenger who chooses to take advantage of it. When I'm on a cruise line that still has formal nights, I *do* eat in the Lido, and I don't see how that can possibly put your life in "jeapardy."

The whole point of my post was to compliment the previous poster's husband who dressed up in a navy blazer and grey trousers. That's a terrific look for any man.

"Requested attire" is the bar that is falling lower and lower as time goes on.

"Formal" night used to be tux/dinner jacket for men, then "dark suit" was added for those men who did not have a tux. But there were complaints that the standard was too high, and needed to accommodate men who didn't have (or didn't want to wear) a suit. So the bar was again lowered to the "jacket & tie" level. Now there are people who ask "can I 'get away with'" something lower still.

And the beat goes on....

Thanks Ruth. Now I better understand your original comment. While we love formal nights, and DH still proudly wears his tux, we are glad HAL did away with the "semi-formal" evenings. That always confused me. I mean, we dress very nicely for dinner each "smart casual" evening. It was difficult for me to figure out what the heck to wear "semi-formal."

Sonny & Cher . . . And the beat goes on . . . won't stop running thru my brain now. :D

We do not bother with the MDR if we are not dressed to code.

But we do wish that HAL would get in the game as it were and do one, or perhaps two things. First....make the Lido hours of operation a little more accommodating. Not just on formal nights but every night. Their current schedule is very poor at best.

We would also like to see HAL eliminate a formal dress code in the alternate dining venues (Pinnacle or Tamarind) on formal evenings.

No issue whatsoever with keeping code in the MDR for those who wish it.

Edited by iancal

My husband and I will be spending 24 days in Europe, traveling by train with one suitcase each. Our cruise is for 11 nights of that time. While he owes nice suits and coats, he will not be taking any of them with him. It is my understanding that anyone can order room service off the MDR menu, so we will be doing that. Since we are in a Neptune Suite, we will enjoy our dinner on our balcony. However, he will take a tie in the hopes that he will be allowed in the MDR, since that would be our preference. We'll report back here after we return.

My husband and I will be spending 24 days in Europe, traveling by train with one suitcase each. Our cruise is for 11 nights of that time. While he owes nice suits and coats, he will not be taking any of them with him. It is my understanding that anyone can order room service off the MDR menu, so we will be doing that. Since we are in a Neptune Suite, we will enjoy our dinner on our balcony. However, he will take a tie in the hopes that he will be allowed in the MDR, since that would be our preference. We'll report back here after we return.

A few years ago - We flew to London and did 3 weeks traveling by train around Great Britain, Amsterdam and Paris with 22 inch suitcases. Before we left home we'd made arrangements to ship a suitcase with our dress and extra clothes we wanted/needed for the cruise right to the ship. It was waiting for us in our cabin when we arrived. It made the prior weeks soooo much easier.

...We would also like to see HAL eliminate a formal dress code in the alternate dining venues (Pinnacle or Tamarind) on formal evenings...

Our opinion is the exact opposite of this. We'd like the Pinnacle to be truly formal on formal evenings, requiring a tux for men and long dresses for women.

Scott & Karen

Our opinion is the exact opposite of this. We'd like the Pinnacle to be truly formal on formal evenings, requiring a tux for men and long dresses for women.

Agreed. Since the Pinnacle (and Tamarind) are more upscale than the dining room in the first place, it would make sense to keep them at least as upscale as the dining room on formal nights.

I don't know that I would go so far as to require a tux (would you agree a dinner jacket would be equivalent?), but the "requested" dark suit would also be fine with me. Ladies would be "requested" to wear something that was at least up to holiday dress standard. (Not every woman can wear long gowns once they have some mobility problems.)

Like others, I suspect that the choice of clothing on formal evening may depend on your travels prior to or after the cruise.

We are going to Thailand on Jan 1. Our cruise (unless we snag a second last minute trip) departs Sydney on Feb. 20. In the interim we will be making our way through Thailand and Malaysia-spending lots of time on theislands/ beaches of the Adaman coast. And after the cruise it will another cruise or a week on the beach in Hawaii to break up the air travel. Who wants to carry formal clothing around for what will amount to a few hours at night for perhaps three of four nights out of the entire journey? Not us. Alas, we don't wear hats-frontwards or backwards, baseball or otherwise.

We would not even consider taking a jacket, dress shoes, shirt, whatever. It is going to be carry on. Happy to avoid the MDR but at least on this Princess cruise the Horizon buffet will be open for reasonable hours and the optional dining venues remain casual on formal evenings. A very nice compromise that seems to work on most cruise ships that we have been on.

Edited by iancal

We would not even consider taking a jacket, dress shoes, shirt, whatever. It is going to be carry on. Happy to avoid the MDR ....

Staying away from the dining room when one is not dressed for it (both on formal and smart casual nights) is an important distinction. That is precisely why HAL has alternative dining choices (Lido, Canaletto, room service).

No one objects to that. It is when people don't want to dress for the venue, yet still want to dine in the venue, that causes all the dismay.