Compensation - Smoking Policy Change

Two trains of thought on that.

It has taken away the benefit of having a balcony room for those who smoke and therefore downgraded its value; or

The room still has a bed and a bath in it and a place to sit outside.

Depending on the passenger, it has either diminished its value or stayed the same.

And you missed the 3rd group of passengers.....for some it has RAISED the value of a balcony that can now be used all the time without smoke diminishing its value and enjoyment for them!!

And you missed the 3rd group of passengers.....for some it has RAISED the value of a balcony that can now be used all the time without smoke diminishing its value and enjoyment for them!!

And time will tell if those folks actually put their money where their mouth is. ;) A lot of bluster about how everyone is now willing to pay nearly twice as much for the same cruise - we'll see if they do.

So let's discuss the effects of an economic principle (Price vs supply and demand).

I spoke with my PVP two days ago on something unrelated to the smoking policy. But before we said good bye, I ask him the effects of the smoking policy change? He said he and his other PVPs were shocked how many cancellations they have received.

So, now the economic math: If what he said is true, balcony cancellations have increased for those sailing after Oct 9th. Therefore, ships sailing past that date may have an excess number of unsold balconies, which may result in Carnival having to reduce price on balconies, which in turn gives Early Savers or those that have not made final payment a chance to lower their cruise rate.

So, if it does play out that way as stated above, and I can lower my cruise rate for my upcoming cruise. This, in an odd way, is a form of compensation to me because angry smokers decided to cancel. So, the compensation question is actually answered. Just a different party received the compensation.

In fact, a smoker that canceled due to the policy change may be able to wait for the big balcony sale (if Carnival has one) and book the same cabin they had before but at a lower price. Then in that case, they did receive compensation.

So let's discuss the effects of an economic principle (Price vs supply and demand).

I spoke with my PVP two days ago on something unrelated to the smoking policy. But before we said good bye, I ask him the effects of the smoking policy change? He said he and his other PVPs were shocked how many cancellations they have received.

So, now the economic math: If what he said is true, balcony cancellations have increased for those sailing after Oct 9th. Therefore, ships sailing past that date may have an excess number of unsold balconies, which may result in Carnival having to reduce price on balconies, which in turn gives Early Savers or those that have not made final payment a chance to lower their cruise rate.

So, if it does play out that way as stated above, and I can lower my cruise rate for my upcoming cruise. This, in an odd way, is a form of compensation to me because angry smokers decided to cancel. So, the compensation question is actually answered. Just a different party received the compensation.

In fact, a smoker that canceled due to the policy change may be able to wait for the big balcony sale (if Carnival has one) and book the same cabin they had before but at a lower price. Then in that case, they did receive compensation.

I thought of this too, but I don't think I'd book a balcony for the price. I'd still have to go to a smoking area away from my expensive balcony. I'm currently not booked for various reasons, but if or when I do, I'll just settle for a PT.

I won't get into the compensation question. I understand why the smokers feel they deserve to be compensated. But I keep seeing the words "we ONLY booked a balcony to be able to smoke" and "without being able to smoke the balcony is worthless to me" (ok maybe not those exact words but the meanings are there)

My question- if the ONLY reason to have a balcony is for smoking, why are all the non-smokers getting balcony cabins? We don't smoke but we love a balcony cabin because it is nice to be out there and enjoy the peace and quite or read a book or watch the water go by, have morning coffee etc... I don't buy that not being able to smoke makes the balcony worthless. I fully understand the thought that you can now book a cheaper cabin because you don't have to have the balcony anymore, but they are more expensive because the balcony offers more than just a place to smoke.

Very funny I spoke to my PvP last evening to book a future cruise and asked her the same and she said there was no major change than normal in cancellations. So i guess its who you talk to?

Carnival made a deal with me when I booked the balcony saying my party was allowed to smoke on the balcony. I made all my plans based on the deal they made with me. It's there right to change the deal but I should be compensated for all travel cost the I have ( airline and hotel). If I choose to cancel. Or anyone who had a cruise booked before this week should be grandfathered in to be allowed to smoke. and in about a year or so eventually carnival would be smoke free."

Carnival did not make a deal with you specifically. I do not believe that you signed a contract with Carnival in regards to the subject of smoking. When you cruise, by purchasing a ticket you agree of abide by all the regulations set up by Carnival.

I, myself, do smoke, both cigars and a pipe. With this being said, I would never smoke on a balcony in that it could possibly bother other passengers. In addition there is a safety issue in regards to smoke on balconies.

I would suggest that you just enjoy your upcoming cruise. There are other areas that you can smoke.

I just went over to my retirement account to see if this was when they issued dividends (it's not) and OUCH! The stock has fallen even more. Not sure whether that makes me (as a smoker) :D or (as a shareholder) :(

It's up solidly today, despite the market being down overall. Yesterday's drop was just a blip.

No compensation is owed because the contract itself specifically allows Carnival to change the terms of the contract at will. They could just as easily have made the change effective yesterday.

Edited by gtalum

Simply sharing my results in requesting refunds due to smoking policy change:

In June (Fathers Day Promo) I purchased a large amount of gift cards to pay the remaining balance on our Feb 2015 cruise. Now, with the smoking policy change, I no longer wish to cruise Carnival. Worried I would not get a refund on the gift cards as I knew when I purchased them, no refunds were allowed, I contacted Carnival. Explaining the reason (smoking policy change) I requested a full refund.

Today I received an email back from them, they are refunding the total spent on the gift cards :)

Next up is to cancel the booking, FTTF, and Bon Voyage purchases.

While I'm disappointed in the change Carnival has made, I'm happy they are refunding everything without penalties.

Moving on to land based vacations.

I just went over to my retirement account to see if this was when they issued dividends (it's not) and OUCH! The stock has fallen even more. Not sure whether that makes me (as a smoker) :D or (as a shareholder) :(

Looks like word has gotten to Wall Street. The market is flat but CCL is up over 1% TODAY. That's a huge increase. Apparently the large investors think this was a good move for the company, especially since the stock has been trending down for the last couple of months. (

If you disagree with my analysis, please offer another explanation for the price increase.

As for the original question, they don't owe people any compensation (according to the contract) so what they're doing is very generous. I think it's appropriate.

Edit: D'oh! gtalum beat me to it.

Edited by Videophile

In June (Fathers Day Promo) I purchased a large amount of gift cards to pay the remaining balance on our Feb 2015 cruise. Now, with the smoking policy change, I no longer wish to cruise Carnival. Worried I would not get a refund on the gift cards as I knew when I purchased them, no refunds were allowed, I contacted Carnival. Explaining the reason (smoking policy change) I requested a full refund.

Today I received an email back from them, they are refunding the total spent on the gift cards :)

While I'm disappointed in the change Carnival has made, I'm happy they are refunding everything without penalties.

Well I hope you get all of your money back. Enjoy you land based smoking vacation!

I am not one that thinks I should be compensated for things, but I did book a smoking balcony and now I am booked in a nonsmoking balcony. That drastically takes away the value of my balcony. I don't want to cancel my cruise, I have planned, and scheduled time off (both me and husband), and need this cruise. Credit me the difference in price of an ocean view or someting.........................

they can credit you the ocean view.. if you go to an oceanview...

I don't plan on getting dressed to go have my morning coffee & smoke. I'll just throw a robe over my jammies and trot right up to the Lido deck, smoking side. You are welcome to join me even if you haven't brushed your hair yet :p
Or your teeth.:D But really we did a Princess cruise and went to the smoking area and met some really great people. Ended up having a blast. Some of these folks we're still friends with. We even looked forward to going there just see who's there. We would have never met these peeps if we smoked on our balcony. Edited by iwannacruznow

Or your teeth.:D But really we did a Princess cruise and went to the smoking area and met some really great people. Ended up having a blast. Some of these folks we're still friends with. We even looked forward to going there just see who's there. We would have never met these peeps if we smoked on our balcony.

I am a smoker and I enjoy smoking. I am not pleased with this decision of Carnival's and will likely stick to NCL until they go and change their policy. Even if NCL does eventually change their policy on balcony smoking, at least most of their ships have indoor cigar lounges where you can gather [away from non-smokers!] and enjoy a smoke indoors. Carnival could at least offer something of that sort. They have a few ships with jazz lounges that allow smoking but who knows if those will be gone too as they are not dedicated smoking lounges. I can respect the fact that some people are bothered by smoke and have the right to be away from it. That said, the lines should offer SOME indoor area for smokers where they will not bother non-smokers. It seems as if a lot on non-smokers will not be happy unless the entire ship is smoke free; something that is not likely to ever happen as most people who smoke will never take a trip where they can't have a cigarette for a whole week.

I don't, however, think it is reasonable for people to expect a refund of hotel/air costs due to this change. Carnival is not responsible for those costs, especially if you booked them on your own. The ability to cancel your cruise without any negative impact is all they really should offer [and they are].

I don't, however, think it is reasonable for people to expect a refund of hotel/air costs due to this change. Carnival is not responsible for those costs, especially if you booked them on your own. The ability to cancel your cruise without any negative impact is all they really should offer [and they are].

What prevented them from announcing the ban effective six to eight months from now instead of three months? Out of courtesy to their customers that did book airfare etc they could have done that. Of course, we are stuck now, can't cancel and that is all that Carnival considered in setting the date three months from now.

I was wondering how they did that. We paid our cruise off with a gift card. Now some people in my group want to switch to NCL Dawn. I didn't I could do with the gift card. hmmmm

Carnival made a deal with me when I booked the balcony saying my party was allowed to smoke on the balcony. I made all my plans based on the deal they made with me. It's there right to change the deal but I should be compensated for all travel cost the I have ( airline and hotel). If I choose to cancel. Or anyone who had a cruise booked before this week should be grandfathered in to be allowed to smoke. and in about a year or so eventually carnival would be smoke free."

Agreed.

None. Smokers still have use of their balcony in the same way non smokers do. They can still spend time out there and enjoy the views and fresh air.

Carnival has covered themselves by the legal language in the contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carnival is refunding previously booked cruises that were affected by this policy change. I cancelled one cruise with 2 connecting GS suites on the Paradise for July 2015 (this one was paid in full) and another booked for Christmas 2015 (deposit only). They refunded my money with no questions asked. I am booking with NCL if I can find something that fits our vacation time.

Here’s the data on how Carnival Corp has changed the smoking policy on their cruise lines.

Princess announces change in cabin and balcony smoking policy 15 June 2011 to go in effect 15 January 2012 - 6 months notice

Holland America announces change in cabin smoking policy 15 June 2011 to go in effect 15 January 2012 - 6 months notice

Cunard announces change in balcony smoking policy 15 August 2013 phased in from April to May 2014 - 8 months notice

Seabourn announces change in cabin and balcony smoking policy (balcony smoking still permitted on certain ships) 16 August 2013 phased in from March to May 2014 - 7 months notice

P&O announces change in cabin & balcony smoking policy 6 Sept 2013 phased in from Mar to Apr 2014 - 6 months notice

I think they learned what the impact would be from their most recent policy change roll outs.

Carnival announces change in balcony smoking policy 9 July 2014 to go in effect 9 October 2014 - 3 months notice