Port or starboard for Mexico cruise?

bigenna

We are booked on the Grand Princess, October 20th ten day Sea of Cortez cruise. Our first time in a mini, category ME, forward.

Right now I have D219 on starboard side but wonder if there is any reason to switch to port side? There are still lots left in that area so would be doable now.

Also we recently had a very favourable first time upgrade on our Alaska cruise by booking a guarantee.

This cruise does not show mini guarantee as an option. Can you still request that? Since we have the lowest category mini booked we were wondering if booking guarantee might give us the chance of an upgrade. Any thoughts?

Either side doesn't matter since when you're in port, you will most likely be either on land or not on your balcony. Some ports, the ship is docked on the port side, others on starboard. You'll tender in Cabo and Loreto.

Booking a GTY is a gamble. The only thing guaranteed is the category you booked or better. All minis are the same so being "upgraded" would mean just a different location.

I did the Sea of Cortez cruise in March this year and was in a Port side balcony. In my opinion this was the side of the ship to be. Sailing south the port side was facing the coast and as we hugged the coast to some extent we had great views of the coast. When travelling home/north we seemed to be further out to sea and out of view of the coast from either side. In March the whales were around and I understand they tend to stay closer to the coast in the shallower waters and we certainly saw our fair share of whales on this trip.

Thanks Pam and Kayelbee.

Does anyone know, if during the booking process, no "guarantee" category show up, does that mean that you can not book that way?

The reason I am still thinking about guarantee is that we are currently in the lowest category and there would be a chance to be upgraded to more midship.

Thanks Pam and Kayelbee.

Does anyone know, if during the booking process, no "guarantee" category show up, does that mean that you can not book that way?

The reason I am still thinking about guarantee is that we are currently in the lowest category and there would be a chance to be upgraded to more midship.

If the option doesn't show, then the odds are that this option is not available. Booking a guarantee does not guarantee that you'll be given a better location. Final payment is fairly close, so you may gamble and book your cabin then. You can also call Princess or your TA and see if you can book a guarantee.

Does anyone know, if during the booking process, no "guarantee" category show up, does that mean that you can not book that way? The reason I am still thinking about guarantee is that we are currently in the lowest category and there would be a chance to be upgraded to more midship.
If there's no option to book a GTY then none are available. If the ship is essentially sold out and no GTYs available, your chances of being upgraded are slim. Always possible whether or not you book a GTY.

I would never book a GTY with more than a faint hope of getting an upgrade because if I were, it would most likely be the exact same type of cabin in a different location. And that location could be where I don't want to be. I would never want to be beneath open deck or the buffet for instance. Been there, done that, never again.

I often book a mini on Emerald Deck on the Grand Class ships but I would not book a guarantee ME and I always specify "no upgrade" because to me, any mini on Dolphin Deck would be an upgrade in name only.

Thanks for the advice. There are still lots of minis left so I guess I will just stay where I am for now.

If you can book a Guarantee mini on Emerald Deck (ME) I would do that because you will almost certainly wind up on Dolphin Deck at a reduced price; and even if you don't, I really think you will like Emerald Deck minis.

Sorry, I see you posted while I was writing. Keep checking the availability of cabins; oftentimes somebody cancels or upgrades and one becomes available.

Edited by f-mattox

We are booked in a Emerald Deck Mini on this cruise. Luckily I check my booking often. 2 weeks ago, I saw my cabin had changed to a mid deck D cabin. No Way. I was suppose to be listed no upgrade. Princess did send the memo and I got my original Emerald mini back on Monday.

Tim

Unfortunately for us all the Emerald ME's are gone already.

Keep checking ... for our Mex sailing on the Star all the MEs were gone ... now 5 are available. I think Princess may have upgraded people ... we got upgraded to Dolphin deck but were able to reclaim our original ME. Watch it every day if you really want an ME

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Forums mobile app

I did the Sea of Cortez cruise in March this year and was in a Port side balcony. In my opinion this was the side of the ship to be. Sailing south the port side was facing the coast and as we hugged the coast to some extent we had great views of the coast. When travelling home/north we seemed to be further out to sea and out of view of the coast from either side. In March the whales were around and I understand they tend to stay closer to the coast in the shallower waters and we certainly saw our fair share of whales on this trip.

I agree with the port side for Mexico cruises. Probably have done these nearly 20 times in the past and commented that we sure were lucky in booking the port side because we always seemed to be viewing the action. While they can dock the boat in the opposite direction, we have always felt as though the port side is better.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Since all the Emerald minis have gone I decided to email my TA to switch to ME D218 across the hall so at least I will be on the port side. This will be our first cruise in a mini, and our first as Elite, we are marked for upgrade so who knows what might happen. Whatever, it will be a great cruise I am sure of that!

Thanks everyone for your comments. Since all the Emerald minis have gone I decided to email my TA to switch to ME D218 across the hall so at least I will be on the port side. This will be our first cruise in a mini, and our first as Elite, we are marked for upgrade so who knows what might happen. Whatever, it will be a great cruise I am sure of that!

Fantastic! I really like the Dolphin minis. I guess I have been lucky the two times I've sailed in a Dolphin mini. I never felt anyone at all was paying attention to me/us. I loved going out on the balcony at night and having a completely unblocked view of the night sky. Amazing! Add a Kahlua and Crème and life was good.:D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...
Keep checking ... for our Mex sailing on the Star all the MEs were gone ... now 5 are available. I think Princess may have upgraded people ... we got upgraded to Dolphin deck but were able to reclaim our original ME. Watch it every day if you really want an ME

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Forums mobile app

I took the advice to keep checking, and at 6 a.m. today, suddenly E726 was available. Emailed my TA and within 5 minutes she emailed me back that it was all set. I am one happy camper (and in fact I AM actually camping right now!) and I thank you for your advice.