charter cruises

sportsmum

If a cruise is chartered by a group - malt shop/Eurodam/Nov 2, 2014 to be specific!- do any leftover cabins ever go back to HAL to sell?

While trying to avoid any real work I saw this charter which is way too expensive for me to sell to my husband for a Caribbean cruise. If the left overs go on sale......??

You really don't want to be on full charter cruise even if HAL would sell you on the few empty cabins.

Charters plan their own activities -- they take over the ship -- and you would not be able to anything but eat when they tell you to and probably have to remain in your cabin as you will not be invited to any of their activities.

Years ago we had no idea we were on a cruise with a LARGE group. And they closed down the showroom every morning and afternoon for their activities as well as a couple of the off rooms for meetings. Fewer activities were held as there just wasn't any place for them.

thank you Krazy Kruisers - that makes me feel a whole lot better. Makes a lot of sense. The reason I like the idea of the cruise is the entertainment.

I was looking at it a bit further and it seems you have to book REALLY early to get the good spots for dining, seats and cabins. All the good ones get taken on the cruise before since prior bookers get first choice.

Guess I'll stick with watching/listening on YouTube!

The reason I like the idea of the cruise is the entertainment.
And that is why the ship is chartered and costs more - the passengers are paying for that special entertainment. You didn't think you could book an 'unsold' cabin through HAL and still take advantage of special features the charter passengers were paying for did you? :eek:

When a ship is chartered, they contract (and pay for) for the whole ship, market the ship and manage all reservation s (until they provide the cruise line with the info - who is in which cabin) If any cabins are unsold, that is on the chartering dime as the cruise line still get there money.

So there will not be a situation where you could buy a cabin on a charter frrm the cruise line and then be excluded from their activities and entertainment; you can only book through the chartering company/organization.