Role of the Butler

Twende

What is a Butler expected to do? We had the Owners Suite on the Sky and before I complain, I want to affirm what the Butler is really suppose to do.

For example does he help you order food for your room? Does he bring mid day ice to you if your bucket is empty?

What are his jobs?

What is a Butler expected to do? We had the Owners Suite on the Sky and before I complain, I want to affirm what the Butler is really suppose to do.

For example does he help you order food for your room? Does he bring mid day ice to you if your bucket is empty?

What are his jobs?

He takes care of in-suite requests. The ice bucket would be handled by the room steward, who fills it morning & evening.

If you require ice mid-day, you would request it from the butler.

If you want food delivered, that would be the role of the butler. Your assigned butler may be relieved during the evening by a night butler, but they work together.

Ok. That is a start.

As an example we went to GSC and returned to our room around 4 PM.

We were expecting guests that we met on the island, so I checked the ice bucket and there were about 6 cubes. I got on the phone to the butler and requested ice. His response was he would bring it "when he was able". Two and one half hours later when we left for our dinner, we still had no ice. Waiting over two and a half hours for ice was not acceptable to me.

After the show we returned and there was ice and the beds were made so I assume the room steward brought it then as he did every evening.

The day before we disembarked, I had our air flight confirmation numbers out and I asked the Butler to print out boarding passes. He informed me, "No, you can do that at the airport". I struggle to walk well and had a pregnant DD and four year old DGD with me. Pulling carryons, holding and keeping track of a toddler, and getting myself around is enough. There were kiosks at the airport but trying to get to them was crazy. We ended up in the full service line instead. I really did not think I was asking for that much.

Our Butler delivered food plates that the captain or staff sent to our room. He switched out the bottles of alcohol in our suite after I had to argue with him that 3 bottles of tequila were not what I pre-ordered! He had our pre-order water incorrect also. We did request a glass of milk and some cookies one night and 2 glasses of grapefruit juice one day. We did order snack plates twice, as who can watch World Cup games without food. We never ordered a single meal delivered to our room.

On our last morning both toilets stopped flushing. It was as if they had no power. We did have water. We worked around it but the Butler showed up as we were clearing the suite. We told him that they were not functioning and he seemed to completely disbelieve us. I think he should and told us he would report it and say I am sorry then be directed to some place where the toilets worked. That is what our wonderful concierge, Karin, did at breakfast in Cagney's.

Should we be disappointed?

Edited by Twende

Waiting 2 and a half hours for ice seems a little long to me. Did you explain that you were hosting some people in the suite? I would have called back. But, I do have sympathy for the Butlers. They are often very busy, and who knows where he was at the time you made your request. But, you would think he could have had a room steward bring it.

But, asking him to print out boarding passes for you? Have never heard that request. I would never do that. We just go to the computers on the ship and print them ourselves. No need to wait till you are at the airport.

Yes you should be disappointed.

Sounds like you had our butler Gorge....

On the printing job, I am thinking that was Karin's job being the concierge not the butler...Your butler should have said I will ask Karin.

Karin was a pleasure, pleasing us in every way, requested and non requested items.....

Edited by FireEater

I'm sorry your experience was below your expectations, and it does sound like it was sub par.

Our butler experiences on NCL have been just the opposite. Far above what we expected.

We have had service from the butler for several meals, DVD's brought from the library, help with my Dad in a wheelchair, bringing extra pillows, etc. They have done everything in a very timely manner and with a gracious attitude as if they loved to serve.

Waiting 2 and a half hours for ice seems a little long to me. Did you explain that you were hosting some people in the suite? I would have called back. But, I do have sympathy for the Butlers. They are often very busy, and who knows where he was at the time you made your request. But, you would think he could have had a room steward bring it.

But, asking him to print out boarding passes for you? Have never heard that request. I would never do that. We just go to the computers on the ship and print them ourselves. No need to wait till you are at the airport.

I did not explain why we needed ice but simply stated we were out and would like more.

I have heard other speak about getting their passes printing and figured tht would be a big help to us. I never thought about access ing the ships computers.

Yes you should be disappointed.

Sounds like you had our butler Gorge....

On the printing job, I am thinking that was Karin's job being the concierge not the butler...Your butler should have said I will ask Karin.

Karin was a pleasure, pleasing us in every way, requested and non requested items.....

Yes we had Jorge but he pronounced it George. Karin was great and I plan on telling the cruise line what a wonderful job she did!

Edited by Twende

If you don't mind me asking how much did you tip him (if you did after your disappointment)?

This may not make sense, but to me if I was paid in tips I'd do whatever I could to accommodate my clients/ customers, especially at the end of the cruise :confused:

I agree about the slow ice, but I'm not sure about the boarding passes. When you say "flight confirmation numbers" it sounds like you wanted the butler to go online and check you in for your flights. I.e. pick your seats and everything. Sometimes you need a credit card to pay for extras like checked baggage, comfy seats, meals… Your secretary at work may be able to do that for you, but the butler in the Haven cannot. If you go online yourself and take care of everything, and the airline sends you your boarding passes, then maybe you can save them to a flash drive and ask the butler/concierge to simply print them out for you. It sounds to me like you were asking for a lot more.

I did not explain why we needed ice but simply stated we were out and would like more.

I have heard other speak about getting their passes printing and figured tht would be a big help to us. I never thought about access ing the ships computers.

Yes we had Jorge but he pronounced it George. Karin was great and I plan on telling the cruise line what a wonderful job she did!

Yes we are talking about the same guy. I thought he was just having a bad week, but it appears he needs some retraining...

Here are a couple of tips for future cruisers. If u order ice thru your butler and it doesn't show up, the butler may have been off for the afternoon. U can call your room steward or room service and request ice. Most concierge's will print your boarding passes. Most ships have concierge lounge with a printer. I would not expect a butler to print boarding passes. I believe room stewards, concierge, and butler post their work hours so suite guests know if they are around.

I've been in the OS in the Sky with my third time coming up.

*What suite were you in so I can check the toilets first!!!

*I guess I can't be upset about the ice if you didn't tell him you were having guests. He most likely delegated that task to the room stewart.....who was probably quite busy!

*I'm glad Karin is still the Concierge! She is a joy! I would have discussed Jorge's performance with her and she would have taken care of his lack-luster abilities. I know that if I have him in 5 weeks, and he treats me like this, there will be a discussion with Karin and not a very big tip!! :(

*Otherwise, how was the cruise?

Edited by NayRN

What a disappointment. People who purchase suites pay a premium for a certain level of service. To have a butler be down right surly is just not right.

Know that NCL monitors these boards. Hopefully Jorge is getting the retraining he needs to perform his duties efficiently and cheerfully.

Sorry your expectations were a bit disappointing. Clearly you were not wowed by the butler. But as some have pointed out some of the short comings have nothing to do with the butler. As someone already mentioned, the ice bucket is filled by house keeping. It is always good to catch them during the day to remind them to fill it. A butler would have nothing to do with toilets. That would have to be reported to house keeping. The butler also is not involved in printing boarding tickets. That is the job of the concierge.

So some of the complaints really have nothing to do with the butler. Now if you asked for something like dinner or food requests and they were not honored then you reason to complain. I also think the butler could have called housekeeping for you about the ice or at least reminded you to call them for ice. For example, one time I wanted a lounger on the balcony. The butler (who was great) told me he could not do that and the request had to go through house keeping. Butlers have nothing to do with moving furniture. Butlers will do what is requested of them. From the post, I don't see anything that was specifically requested from the butler and fell short. So it is hard to say. Some butlers like to keep their distance as to not bother or intrude on the guests. But if you want an active butler to keep ringing the doorbell just ask. A butler is not the do everything like a personal servant. House keeping and the concierge have their roles too.

Edited by david_sobe

Sorry your expectations were a bit disappointing. Clearly you were not wowed by the butler. But as some have pointed out some of the short comings have nothing to do with the butler. As someone already mentioned, the ice bucket is filled by house keeping. It is always good to catch them during the day to remind them to fill it. A butler would have nothing to do with toilets. That would have to be reported to house keeping. The butler also is not involved in printing boarding tickets. That is the job of the concierge.

So some of the complaints really have nothing to do with the butler. Now if you asked for something like dinner or food requests and they were not honored then you reason to complain. I also think the butler could have called housekeeping for you about the ice or at least reminded you to call them for ice. For example, one time I wanted a lounger on the balcony. The butler (who was great) told me he could not do that and the request had to go through house keeping. Butlers have nothing to do with moving furniture. Butlers will do what is requested of them. From the post, I don't see anything that was specifically requested from the butler and fell short. So it is hard to say. Some butlers like to keep their distance as to not bother or intrude on the guests. But if you want an active butler to keep ringing the doorbell just ask. A butler is not the do everything like a personal servant. House keeping and the concierge have their roles too.

Excellent post. I agree with this completely.

Very well stated. I chuckle and cringe at the same time at the hideous " how much can I get my butler to do for me" threads. Sadly, there are always those who DO consider them personal servants ( not referencing the OP) . I for one will never write a letter to my butler with my demands thinly veiled as requests. Yes, I am paying $$ for my suite- but some of what I read people request just is MONDO BEYONDO! For goodness sakes- what if all 8 suites a man is covering wants breakfast at 7:45 with 3 egg whites one egg yolk omelets? Yikes!

I think OP just did not realize! and Jorge could have been more helpful in directing her to , the appropriate people.

On every line we cruise the concierge asks for our flight info and our passes show up the night before debarkation.

We never need ice except in the morning.

Toilets- there is a housekeeping button on the phone or at least call the desk!!! Just a bit silly to not take the initiative and get on the phone. I have traveled with three kids in diapers and would have been able to make the call-while George should have known to call HK, OP could have dialed "0" as soon as the loo went on the blinkif OP did not ask where the nearest loo was, I don't know why he would offer that info.

Sorry

Stubbed my toe.

Had to vent

Cannot type on this phone

Nora

Edited by DrNora

However, the butler could have said "Order your ice from ___ instead" rather than "When I have time." And certainly could have let them know there are on-board ways of them printing their own boarding passes instead of just telling them to wait for the airport.

However, the butler could have said "Order your ice from ___ instead" rather than "When I have time." And certainly could have let them know there are on-board ways of them printing their own boarding passes instead of just telling them to wait for the airport.

Absolutely! I said i was not referring to the OP- I was agreeing with David Sobes post and expanding.

George/ Jorge sounds like he needs a vacation himself,,.

However- he may not have known about the boarding passes. We have ALWAYS been approached by the concierge, even the least friendly of them, and received our passes. Never have I printed my own or had to ask in my cruising memory since 2001. DCL, NCL, RCL., multiple suites each line.

And as for the toilet- I would not have waited. Period.

Edited by DrNora

If the butler was not suppose to bring us mid day ice, then all he had to do was say so and give us a way to reach the room steward. If I knew where the machine was, I would have gladly done it myself!

Again if he was unable to do passes then he could have directed us to a way to do it. The seats were already assigned and everything was paid so we only needed the bar code boarding passes printed.

The toilet failure happened on the last morning after 6:30 AM. We were busy packing, waking a toddler and trying to head to breakfast so we really just figured that stuff happens. I do not see well at all so looking for a labeled button on the phone was not going to happen. We just thought that his response was strange. We did not expect him to fix it nor did we complain. We just informed him why the toilets were not flushed. It was a bit embarrassing for us.

We were in Owners Suite 8201 on the Sky.

FireEater were you on the July 7 - 11 cruise?

You simply had a 'butler' who should not be a butler. The position is all about service and he sounds like he has other priorities. One of the few bad butlers on NCL.

Boarding passes are handled by the concierge. Ice requests go thru the butler. They either get it or notify someone else to get it. Same with toilet issues. The butler's job is to notify the correct people to get it fixed.

You simply had a pathetically bad butler who should not be a butler.

Next time, report him to the concierge. If things don't change, notify the HD.

I believe the number of suites on the Sky is similar to the Spirit. If that is the case, there are only two butlers to serve the suites. If one or two of the passengers in the suites demand the services of the butler (being their personal servant), then others will feel they were slighted.

To the OP, the toilet malfunctioning was a housekeeping issue. Did you call anyone to report the problem? Or did you wait for the butler to stop by your cabin? Most phones have the housekeeping number listed and it's there for a reason.

Asking the butler for ice and being told he would bring it when he had time was unacceptable. It's possible he just forgot but he could have had an associate bring some for you. Then again, did you consider asking your steward?

I agree the concierge should have offered to print out your boarding passes. A butler does not have the capability of doing that for you.

It doesn't sound as if the concierge did much to impress you either.

Our concierge was wonderful as was our steward! The butler was okay but certainly not good, great or even excellent.

Jorge needs more training.

We had fun and we will cruise again.