Need some Help/Advice Please

Hi Guys,

I have a question on ES...I scoured the boards to see if it had been asked before but as far as I could find it has not been.:cool: Here goes:

My wife and I want to book Glory for next April, our daughter is on the fence on if she wants to cruise with us or take a trip with her grandmother.

My question is, if we book the cabin for 3 and she then decides to travel with her grandmother instead of us, will there be a penalty for deleting her off the booking? Or will what we have paid just automatically be applied to a cruise for 2 without penalty?

Thanks in advance

Do you have a PVP? This is one of those situation that it might be nice to have that extra input. Plus if you correspond by email then you have everything in writing. I see several concerns with you situation.

#1 If you book a stateroom for 3 and cancel daughter (yes, it is a cancel) Carnival can move you to another stateroom. So if location is important this could be a factor.

#2 The penalty phase differs with ES. You didn't give any indication as to how close to your final payment or sail date the decision will be. Both of these will factor into how or if you are penalized.

I am sure others will be able to give more specific information.

I hope you can firm up your plans and have a wonderful cruise.

Do you have a PVP? This is one of those situation that it might be nice to have that extra input. Plus if you correspond by email then you have everything in writing. I see several concerns with you situation.

#1 If you book a stateroom for 3 and cancel daughter (yes, it is a cancel) Carnival can move you to another stateroom. So if location is important this could be a factor.

#2 The penalty phase differs with ES. You didn't give any indication as to how close to your final payment or sail date the decision will be. Both of these will factor into how or if you are penalized.

I am sure others will be able to give more specific information.

I hope you can firm up your plans and have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for your input springs741....we do not have a PVP.

Location is also important to us as we prefer something midship.

We are hoping to book before the end of July at the latest....we are hoping she makes a decision before then but even then she may change her mind again...:rolleyes: So we are just trying to get an idea before hand of our options.

I would book you and your wife as two in a cabin that would fit 3 people. You can always add your daughter without penalty.

This. If you book the cabin for three, if your daughter cancels you will lose $50 and have a $200 future cruise credit in her name. If you book for 2, they'll let you add the third later.

I'm able to book cabins for 3 or 4 and I travel solo.

I'm sure you have as have many others.:)

It just depends on when you are cruising. If you are cruising during the summer months when all the families can cruise or holidays a lot times,(not always) they don't allow it so that can maximize revenues.

Even during the busy season i am sure there are certain times you can do it based on different criteria s.

Bill

Maybe grand mom would want to take a cruise. That way daughter and grand mom could share a cabin and be on vacation together.

Just an idea. Takes care of potential problem.

This was the first option but grand mom is not interested in cruising...she is going to spend some time in Atlanta with BIL.

This. If you book the cabin for three, if your daughter cancels you will lose $50 and have a $200 future cruise credit in her name. If you book for 2, they'll let you add the third later.

If we do the latter would this effect the terms of the Early Saver? I.e would it be considered a new booking or would the same Terms and conditions apply as in the first scenario?

Thanks

Back when I used to work for Carnival this is what I would have suggested...

Book a room that could hold 3 for two now. If you do this early enough the ship may not have restrictions. Sometimes if a ship is popular(no matter how far out) or close to sail date this is not allowed.

Now the thing is daughter needs to make up her mind ASAP. See the thing is if though a cabin can hold 3 people you may not be able to add her on later. Think of it like this.....example a restaurant can really hold 100 people but the fire Marshall says only 80. Even though you have 20 empty seats. Now apply this to a ship...you have cabins that hold up to 4 and 5 well this takes up space for a potential 3 or 4 person cabin space. Carnival counts souls not beds. So although booking a room that holds 3 for 2 sounds like a great idea be careful. You could be caught not able to add her.

Now when you add her the ES terms are the same BUT your daughter comes in at the new rate.

For example, when you and S.O. booked your cruise fare might have been $250/pp with you 3rd fare at the time of reservation would have been $150. Well if the rate went up by time of you adding daughter then she comes in at the new rate which could be something like $300 for the third person. Does that make since?

Basically, tell daughter to make up her mind and stick with it OR book her now and she has to finalize everything by your final payment date and at the worse you'll be out $50 nonrefundable and a $200 future cruise credit (assuming a 7 day cruise). And no you can't apply the $200 to your current reservation even though you've paid for it and it's in your name :p Beat you to that one!:D

Regardless, enjoy your family vacay.

Krystal:)

If we do the latter would this effect the terms of the Early Saver? I.e would it be considered a new booking or would the same Terms and conditions apply as in the first scenario?

Thanks

You will remain early saver if you add the third person later. We had this with some guests on our wedding cruise. We booked my sister and her bff into a balcony cabin and then a few months before sailing my wife's bff decided she wanted to cruise and didn't mind staying in the afforementioned cabin. They were still eligible (and received price drops) and we had no problem booking her. They kept the original booking number and they did have to move cabins, but that wasn't a big deal to them.

Some cruises (summer and holidays) will have cabin restrictions so you can't book 2 people into a cabin for 3. If you're going in the off-season you may have more luck.

I'd also have your daughter make up her mind sooner than later. I imagine Grandma will also want to begin to make plans.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

Back when I used to work for Carnival this is what I would have suggested...

Book a room that could hold 3 for two now. If you do this early enough the ship may not have restrictions. Sometimes if a ship is popular(no matter how far out) or close to sail date this is not allowed.

Now the thing is daughter needs to make up her mind ASAP. See the thing is if though a cabin can hold 3 people you may not be able to add her on later. Think of it like this.....example a restaurant can really hold 100 people but the fire Marshall says only 80. Even though you have 20 empty seats. Now apply this to a ship...you have cabins that hold up to 4 and 5 well this takes up space for a potential 3 or 4 person cabin space. Carnival counts souls not beds. So although booking a room that holds 3 for 2 sounds like a great idea be careful. You could be caught not able to add her.

Now when you add her the ES terms are the same BUT your daughter comes in at the new rate.

For example, when you and S.O. booked your cruise fare might have been $250/pp with you 3rd fare at the time of reservation would have been $150. Well if the rate went up by time of you adding daughter then she comes in at the new rate which could be something like $300 for the third person. Does that make since?

Basically, tell daughter to make up her mind and stick with it OR book her now and she has to finalize everything by your final payment date and at the worse you'll be out $50 nonrefundable and a $200 future cruise credit (assuming a 7 day cruise). And no you can't apply the $200 to your current reservation even though you've paid for it and it's in your name :p Beat you to that one!:D

Regardless, enjoy your family vacay.

Krystal:)

Thanks Krystal...so just to make sure I am understanding you. If all my cruise ships line up correctly:) and our daughter comes in after we have booked for 2 persons, she can be added to the booking but not at the standard 3rd person rate.

Yes you did beat me to that one.:p:D

You will remain early saver if you add the third person later. We had this with some guests on our wedding cruise. We booked my sister and her bff into a balcony cabin and then a few months before sailing my wife's bff decided she wanted to cruise and didn't mind staying in the afforementioned cabin. They were still eligible (and received price drops) and we had no problem booking her. They kept the original booking number and they did have to move cabins, but that wasn't a big deal to them.

Some cruises (summer and holidays) will have cabin restrictions so you can't book 2 people into a cabin for 3. If you're going in the off-season you may have more luck.

I'd also have your daughter make up her mind sooner than later. I imagine Grandma will also want to begin to make plans.

Thanks.....this certainly does help. I am hoping she makes up her mind before month end when we book. I am also operating on the likelihood that she may decide to change her mind either way at the "last minute" so am trying to prepare myself for any eventuality.

Grandma is quite flexible so she is fine either way.:)

Leaving on Freedom in August. There are two of us, but we thought more. So we booked a 3/4 person room for two. $50 down. We now know no one else is joining us, but it would have been easy to add someone. We chose our room too.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I'm able to book cabins for 3 or 4 and I travel solo.

You can book triple and quad cabins with just singles or doubles sailing in them but usually only at certain off peak times.

The cruiselines impose what's called "occupancy restrictions" to reduce what's called "spoilage".

Early saver is generally a $50 "hold your spot" booking......with complete payment due a few months in advance of travel.

So if you go ahead and book a 3 person cabin and she decides not to sail then you're out $50......you don't have to pay anything else until final payment is due and that's when she needs to decide. I've been willing to take a $50 chance on some of my kids (or ask her for the $50 gamble money).

Another way is to see what other refundable bookings there are and see if the price is good on a refundable fare....then book her (all of you) under a refundable deposit fare.....maybe $250....BUT, it's fully refundable up until final payment.......

Thanks Krystal...so just to make sure I am understanding you. If all my cruise ships line up correctly:) and our daughter comes in after we have booked for 2 persons, she can be added to the booking but not at the standard 3rd person rate.

Yes you did beat me to that one.:p:D

No...

She can be added at whatever rate it costs at the time for a third person....could be the same or could be higher. Just wanted you not to be surprised if it's more.

If it was me I would just book the room now for all three and just take the $50 hit if she cancels. You ARE going on another Carnival cruise:p so the money wouldn't necessary be a waste. That way you don't have to worry about if there will be enough space for her. Is it worth $50? Peace of mind is worth that to me:)

Early saver is generally a $50 "hold your spot" booking......with complete payment due a few months in advance of travel.

So if you go ahead and book a 3 person cabin and she decides not to sail then you're out $50......you don't have to pay anything else until final payment is due and that's when she needs to decide. I've been willing to take a $50 chance on some of my kids (or ask her for the $50 gamble money).

Another way is to see what other refundable bookings there are and see if the price is good on a refundable fare....then book her (all of you) under a refundable deposit fare.....maybe $250....BUT, it's fully refundable up until final payment.......

Just an FYI since this as brought up. If you book an ES rate with $50 deposit, if the rate goes down you can only price match once you've made the full deposit. So if you book a 7 day cruise with $50 deposit, you have to have the extra $200 per person on hand to get the match. If you attempt to get the match without the rest of the deposit, they will cancel your cruise with little or no notice. We've also learned this the hard way.

Just an FYI since this as brought up. If you book an ES rate with $50 deposit, if the rate goes down you can only price match once you've made the full deposit. So if you book a 7 day cruise with $50 deposit, you have to have the extra $200 per person on hand to get the match. If you attempt to get the match without the rest of the deposit, they will cancel your cruise with little or no notice. We've also learned this the hard way.

Thanks for the heads up.....that is really good information as well.