New to Celebrity, not to cruising.

josie724

Hi all, we are thinking about booking the Summit out of Bayonne, NJ on 8/31 to Bermuda. We are a couple in our early 50's (gosh that hurts to put in print) :D. We've sailed on Carnival, Norwegian and HAL, the later two as a couple Carnival with the kids. Both our children will be off the college in the fall, and we thought this would be a good, cost effective way to see Bermuda. We're looking to relax and enjoy the beaches of Bermuda, it has been over 2 years since our last cruise on HAL which we enjoyed very much, with the exception of motion sickness for both of us. I had the patch and my husband didn't, he usually doesn't get sick, but the seas were pretty rough and it was windy, which prevented us from docking at the private island.

I briefly read through on post titled Summit, only to read a debate about the formal night dress code, the following of the rules of the dress code, the enjoyment or lack of enjoyment of a cruise based on someone else's ability to follow the dress code, and the enforcement of the dress code. :rolleyes:It's good to see that these themes are pretty much equal cruise line to cruise line. :D

So please feel free to provide any tips that might help me pull the trigger and book this cruise. Any do's and don'ts will be appreciated as well. :)

Go on book it. Sounds like you have the the cruising culture figured out. I have been on Summit and to Bermuda but not in years. We did love the Summit then and it has been upgraded since. Also loved Bermuda would go back in an instant. Don't pay attention to all the naysayers go with an open mind and enjoy.

Our cruise on Summit was one of our most enjoyable cruises.

We loved Bermuda. Ours was a repositioning cruise that went to San Juan.

Celebrity is using Summit to try new things lately, esp in the buffet. Some are very pleased with the changes. Here are pictures posted by prim8keeper:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2067725&page=3 You might want to read his very good review of his trip to Bermuda. Makes me want to go again.

The Summit is very often on the Tuesday specials and at the moment there are two offerings in July. There might be some later ones offered in the next while.

I went on Summit last summer with my mom and have to say it remains one of my favorite cruises. The staff was amazing, warm, and incredibly attentive. I truly felt that everyone went out of their way to make certain our experience was enjoyable. This happened with everyone from the wait staff to the bar staff to the security staff (astonishing, I know) Bermuda is a beautiful island and has a ton to explore and enjoy. I keep looking at the repositioning cruise on Summit for April but haven't found someone to go with me yet - I will keep looking though until I find someone to go.

So, obviously, my vote is to book it and go have an amazing time while I sit here jealous of your upcoming vacation :)

Our son left for college and we booked a cruise too! Our first on Celebrity and just loved it. We are in our mid 50's. What a wonderful treat. You will love it.

A customer of mine (same age group) books a cruise on the Summitt each year.

I think the Summit is an M Class - the poached egg station for made to order eggs benedict and Cafe al Bacio are my two favorite things.

oh wait, and the garlic bread at the pizza station

and the....

:-) Happy Cruising.

Hi all, we are thinking about booking the Summit out of Bayonne, NJ on 8/31 to Bermuda. We are a couple in our early 50's (gosh that hurts to put in print) :D. We've sailed on Carnival, Norwegian and HAL, the later two as a couple Carnival with the kids. Both our children will be off the college in the fall, and we thought this would be a good, cost effective way to see Bermuda. We're looking to relax and enjoy the beaches of Bermuda, it has been over 2 years since our last cruise on HAL which we enjoyed very much, with the exception of motion sickness for both of us. I had the patch and my husband didn't, he usually doesn't get sick, but the seas were pretty rough and it was windy, which prevented us from docking at the private island.

I briefly read through on post titled Summit, only to read a debate about the formal night dress code, the following of the rules of the dress code, the enjoyment or lack of enjoyment of a cruise based on someone else's ability to follow the dress code, and the enforcement of the dress code. :rolleyes:It's good to see that these themes are pretty much equal cruise line to cruise line. :D

So please feel free to provide any tips that might help me pull the trigger and book this cruise. Any do's and don'ts will be appreciated as well. :)

I will be interested in reading your review if you go - we are basically the same age group and are empty nesters. We have booked our first sailing in April on the Summit doing a repo from San Juan to Bayonne.

Enjoyed our Summit cruise so much we booked the same one again for next winter. We are in the same age bracket as you.

Bermuda is beautiful, we did a one week land vacation there. It is very expensive though and we agreed if we were to return, it would be on a cruise ship.

Book it!!!

Go for it. We love the Summit and can not wait to get back on her and also to visit Bermuda. It is a beautiful ship and island. We enjoyed the fact that you stayed in Bermuda and could tour the island. When you go I would recommend you get a multi day transportation pass which is good for either the bus or the water taxi as many times as you want. A cruise to Bermuda on the Summit would be a great way to celebrate and adjust to your empty nest. Book it and have a great cruise.

Book the cruise. I think you will love it! Just read the Celebrity website for dress code suggestions. Leaving from NJ is wonderful. You have plently of parking (for a fee) available. Your vacation begins the minute you step on the ship. You will be given a welcome glass of champage, mimosa or soft drink. You then proceed to a venue-typically the buffet, or Bistro of Five (7 surcharge) for a lovely lunch. My DH and I enjoy this line- the ages of the guests do vary, and you will fit in without any problem.

Our experience is that the food is good to excellent, service excellent and entertainment equal to the other lines (except RC's big ships which have the best entertainment at sea, IMO) No airline hassels, bring as many clothes and supplies as you wish. So many bargains on celebrity today to Bermuda. On our upcoming cruise for example, you can get an inside cabin for $599 pp! Balcony guarantees are also very reasonable.

Bermuda is an interesting island- lot's to see and do and beautiful beaches.

Enjoy your cruise. Just worry about having a wonderful time.