Doc Needed When Leaving Port

Garycruz

You say you had to fish out your driver's license when you were in Grand Turk. You also say that you would never leave your passport on the ship which implies that you bring it with you when you leave the port. I'm just curious why they made you show them your driver's license when you had your passport with you. Isn't the passport and S & S card enough?

Good point. I would think the passport would trump the drivers license.

Bill

Cozumel isn't exactly like going to "Beirut".

I think you will be fine with just a driver license..

Never said it was dangerous........just reporting what we had to do on July 1, 2014 in Cozumel. Good grief!

DL, state issued photo id, or passport was fine.

People should always have a color photocopy of their passport. Leave one in the safe and bring the other with you. If the original is stolen or lost while in port, it will be easier to have the copy that documents who you are.

Hi Shmoo here - I've been reading that you don't actually need your passport for mexico... that you can use gov't ID plus birth certificate or some form of proof of citizenship. Do you know if that's true? I'm wondering if I need to go through the hassle of getting an expedited passport card (because it's cheaper than the book and my current passport book has expired). I'd rather not spend the money on an expedite if I don't actually need it and can use my military ID plus birth certificate at customs.

Thanks for any input!!

In your case I would call to the LA office that handles passports and check into a same day renewal.

We have done all of those islands and have never brought anything except our S&S card, nor have we ever been asked for a photo ID.

I would NEVER take my passport off the ship. If it makes you feel better, take a picture of it. But again, we have never been asked for photo ID.

Have a great cruise!!!!:D:D

If you don't leave the port area you wouldn't need a picture ID. The only time I had to show one was getting back into the port. But I've had to show a picture ID and S&S card every time I returned to the port area.

If you don't leave the port area you wouldn't need a picture ID. The only time I had to show one was getting back into the port. But I've had to show a picture ID and S&S card every time I returned to the port area.

Maybe we've been lucky..... We went to Atlantis, and they asked for it, and we didn't have it, and we just went back on the ship. SMH

At several of the ports there have been signs requesting both S&S + photo ID. I don't know why they made an exception for you, though.

I don't know either. But I don't see the need to bring a photo ID. Seems silly. Never had an issue. Oh well..........:D:D:D

I don't know either. But I don't see the need to bring a photo ID. Seems silly. Never had an issue. Oh well..........:D:D:D

Its a security issue. They need to match a picture and name with the ship card. If someone lost a card in port and someone that wanted to breach security found it,they could gain access to the area around the ship.

Then if something happens people wonder why the security was so lax.

Just got back from the Conquest last Sunday. In Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk we only needed our S&S. STT and San Juan were both very strict on needing ID as well as the S&S, probably because they are both American ports. I carried our passports on HMC and GT because they're foreign but left them in our safe in STT and SJU.

I also keep a copy of our passports on Dropbox so we can get to them from anywhere if needed.

You say you had to fish out your driver's license when you were in Grand Turk. You also say that you would never leave your passport on the ship which implies that you bring it with you when you leave the port. I'm just curious why they made you show them your driver's license when you had your passport with you. Isn't the passport and S & S card enough?

My passport was secured in my husband's backpack (along with his and our daughter's), and they asked for DL/photo id, not passport. (The Fun Times for the day usually specify DL and S&S, as well, and this isn't just on Carnival.) He already had his DL out, and went through with our daughter and I was a few steps behind. It probably wasn't apparent that we were together.

I would not and have never left my passport on the ship. There's no point in having one if it's sitting in a safe on a ship sailing away from you.

Edited by irishnyc

Just got back from the Conquest last Sunday. In Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk we only needed our S&S. STT and San Juan were both very strict on needing ID as well as the S&S, probably because they are both American ports. I carried our passports on HMC and GT because they're foreign but left them in our safe in STT and SJU.

I also keep a copy of our passports on Dropbox so we can get to them from anywhere if needed.

HMC is a private island and GT is such a small island, they are not really concerned with stow-a-ways. Port security makes you provide ID to be admitted back to the ship area. It doesn't matter if it's a US port or not. It is to prevent people from sneaking onto the ship and acts of terrorism. I have seen them detain a lady while her partner had to go on board to obtain her photo ID and bring it back to security before they would let her enter.

Edited by Rena921

So this may be a silly question, but what good is a passport if you leave it on the ship? what if something happens and the ship leaves without you? I always take our passports when we get off the ship in ports.

So this may be a silly question, but what good is a passport if you leave it on the ship? what if something happens and the ship leaves without you? I always take our passports when we get off the ship in ports.

If your passport is in your room safe, and you don't make it back to the ship before it must sail, most cruiselines will open your safe and retrieve passports or other identity papers and leave them with the ship's port agent. You get them from the agent when you show up at the port after you've missed the ship.

Please take a photo i.d. as well as your S&S card. I have been on many, many cruises and am almost always asked for a photo i.d. as well as my S&S card. I've seen numerous people anxiously waiting while someone ran to the ship to find a photo i.d. for them. You definitely don't need your passport, but a driver's license or some other form of photo i.d. is almost always needed.

Agreed

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I would never take my passport off the ship. But that's just me. We take our S&S cards, our driver licenses, copies of our passports, a small amount of cash each, and at least one credit card. I believe that should cover us in case of any emergency. If I'm wrong...please let me know otherwise. ;).

Edited by mousey