Juneau - in addition to whale watching

patches05

DH and I will be in Juneau next month. We are doing a Harv & Marv whale watching tour w/ a trip to Mendenhall Glacier, then I'd like to get a bite to eat at Tracy's King Crab Shack.

After that, we will have some time to walk around the town. We'd also have time before our 11:20am whale watching. Are there any must see areas of Juneau that we should check out within walking distance?

Thanks for your input!

Most towns have a web site. Juneau is no exception. It's a great way to promote local tourism and support local vendors.

Sights to see:

http://www.traveljuneau.com/cms/d/downtown_street_tour.php

and a downtown map

http://www.traveljuneau.com/cms/d/downtown_juneau_map.php

Or borrow an Alaska travel book from your library.

Or look at trip reports for some great first hand recommendations.

Most towns have a web site. Juneau is no exception. It's a great way to promote local tourism and support local vendors.

Sights to see:

http://www.traveljuneau.com/cms/d/downtown_street_tour.php

and a downtown map

http://www.traveljuneau.com/cms/d/downtown_juneau_map.php

Or borrow an Alaska travel book from your library.

Or look at trip reports for some great first hand recommendations.

Thank you for the link to the websites - I appreciate it. :) I have read many trip reports here on CC. Most just talk about the big excursions & don't mention walking about town, that's why I thought I'd go straight to the experts.

DH and I will be in Juneau next month. We are doing a Harv & Marv whale watching tour w/ a trip to Mendenhall Glacier, then I'd like to get a bite to eat at Tracy's King Crab Shack.

After that, we will have some time to walk around the town. We'd also have time before our 11:20am whale watching. Are there any must see areas of Juneau that we should check out within walking distance?

Thanks for your input!

You might want to step into the Red Dog Saloon. Even if you don't want a drink, it is interesting to just see the interior.

Thanks for your input!

I hope you have a great whale watch. We saw 10 humpbacks bubble net feeding - 7 times they surfaced in different areas, 4 of those times some/most of them came straight up out of the water. It was AMAZING [i have overused the word this week!!! but it was]. The little boats took off out of the area - they were very close and rocking pretty hard in the already choppy, rainy, foggy Auke Bay.

You'll have plenty of time to walk around the towns in Juneau and Skagway. They are not that big and most excursion bus drivers will drop you off in town. They want you to spend money, especially at the hundreds of jewelry stores! lol! Be prepared to pay a hefty price at the crab shack, I think the legs were 2 for $50. We went to the red dog saloon and the red onion saloon. Both a great time!! Any time your ready to return just wait by a bus stop and for a couple bucks they will bring you back to the ship!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We stopped at Tracy's and ordered the sampler for 3 of us. We had crab bisque, crab cakes and a leg. Enough for us to share as an appetizer and all Delicious! On the day we were in port I would say they closed down by 8 or 9, but that was the time the ships left.

Laura

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the weather is good, you could take the Mt Roberts Tramway. The views from there are quite nice, and there are some hiking trails. I would allow for an hour minimum up there.

If you go, you may want to purchase your tickets from the ship as this will save you time standing in line to purchase the tickets. Of course, that depends on how many ships are in that day.

We almosts always take the Mt Roberts Tram to the top of the mountain. There are hiking trails up there in addition to the gift shops, visitors center, etc. We have had some amazing sunsets up there!

However, if it's really gray and cloudy it might not be worth anything more than the tram ride up and down.

I hope you have a great whale watch. We saw 10 humpbacks bubble net feeding - 7 times they surfaced in different areas, 4 of those times some/most of them came straight up out of the water. It was AMAZING [i have overused the word this week!!! but it was]. The little boats took off out of the area - they were very close and rocking pretty hard in the already choppy, rainy, foggy Auke Bay.

Did you book this excursion through HAL?