New York To Ft. Lauderdale, 3 Day Cruise, Yes Or No!!!!!

bigjohn42

There are two different types of foreign ports---"near" and "distant".

When a foreign ship is returning passengers to the same US port where they embarked, a "near" foreign port visit is sufficient. When a foreign ship is transporting passengers from one US port to another, which the original question is about, then it's necessary for the ship to visit a "distant" foreign port.

Your statement that "you need to stop at a foreign port" is not completely accurate, as the port must be "distant".

Ruth, I'm not trying to cause trouble but am confused by OPs last post. New York to Europe would qualify for "distant port" wouldn't it? Possibly just a HAL decision to only allow new passengers on in FLL? It's interesting to me.

Ruth, I'm not trying to cause trouble but am confused by OPs last post. New York to Europe would qualify for "distant port" wouldn't it? Possibly just a HAL decision to only allow new passengers on in FLL? It's interesting to me.

It sounded to me that HAL had made an administrative decision that it would not allow the Europe round-trip passengers to board in NYC, then disembark in Ft. Lauderdale.

To do that itinerary would not violate the PVSA, but it could be an administrative nightmare.

Thank you Ruth. I misunderstood. I thought it was passengers going one way from FLL to Europe that couldn't board in New York if they wanted to.

The ins and outs of cruising are always interesting!!! Cherie

She states she cant explain why, just that it is not an option at this time.
Once again, the CC board knows more (or can explain more) than a HAL rep! I told you back in post #15 that calling HAL on this would be a waste of time. ;) Edited by jtl513

She also stated that, Yes, those who disembark in New York will leave an empty room down to Ft. Lauderdale. She also stated those going on the 42 TA to Europe would also not be able to embark in New York, but in Montreal for a 55 day cruise.

It is my understanding that this statement may well be incorrect. I know of no reason why a passenger cannot embark in New york on a ship that is stopping in Ft. Lauderdale and continuing on to Europe. As far as the PVSA is concerned, it makes no difference how the ticket is written.

I'd be surprised if HAL didn't attempt to sell the empty cabins in this manner.

Is it possible that the agent with whom you spoke was simply misinformed?

Scott & Karen

It is my understanding that this statement may well be incorrect. I know of no reason why a passenger cannot embark in New york on a ship that is stopping in Ft. Lauderdale and continuing on to Europe. As far as the PVSA is concerned, it makes no difference how the ticket is written.

There's no legal reason why it couldn't be done, but if you check the HAL site it is not an offered option.

Edited by jtl513

Is it possible that the agent with whom you spoke was simply misinformed?

Scott & Karen

:( Sure, but since I was unable to locate any option whats so ever to book from New York to either Ft. Lauderdale or Europe on the HAL website or my TA's website and from the HAL rep that this is not an option. Either book a 10 day and disembark in New York, book a 13 day and disembark in Ft. Lauderdale or book a 13 + 42 = 55 day cruise to Europe. These were the only options I was given by HAL rep. :)