Please help us decide Galveston

Luvoceans

First time to Galveston. Two adults and two 17 year olds. Driving in the day before cruise in mid October. Where should we stay ? Gaidos Seaside Inn or Inn at Waterpark ? Should we leave car parked at hotel and use shuttle.

Should we park at park and cruise or EZ cruise parking ? Thanks for any advise.

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
to help OP

Honestly, all of what you asked would really be personal preference to me. Inn at the Waterpark is right by both Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn -- there is tons to do at Moody Gardens, and my son and I loooooove the enclosed, heated part of Schlitterbahn (and the lack of crowds!) that time of year.

Gaido's is right on the Seawall, so you'd be much closer to all that area has to offer -- tons of restaurants, souvenir shopping, Pleasure Pier, etc. But Galveston is not a big island at all, so if you have a car then you'll be pretty close to whatever you might like to do.

As for parking, for me that would come down to which option is cheaper, and which gets me to the cruiser terminal in the most efficient (and early!) manner. It would make me crazy if a hotel had a shuttle to the terminal that didn't leave the hotel until noon or something. But that's just me!

Be sure and check out galveston.com for any fun events going on while you're on the island, as well as promotions and coupons. SO much to do... you're going to want to visit again. :) Hope you have a great island visit and a great cruise!

Edited by crazy4themouse

I would like to fix the typos but it won't let me

I have corrected the title for you.

You can edit your posts with the Edit button for up to about 20 minutes after they post. When the time-limit expires, the Edit button will disappear from your post and you can no longer edit the post.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful.

Kat emo32.gif

My advise on parking is Galveston Park & Cruise. We did that last year and liked it so well we are going that route again this year. We could have parked at the hotel but I liked the fact of not having to shuttle anywhere. We chose indoor parking for the piece of mind that our car was out of the weather and locked in a building. We pulled up at the terminal in our car, dropped off our bags, and went across the street to park and then walked back across the street to the terminal. When leaving the ship we chose to do self disembarkation and pulled our bags across the street with us. No waiting for shuttles and was on the road as soon as we walked across the street and got in the car. This is just my opinion and you will have to choose what you think will be best for your situation. Hope this info helps.

Thank you both now I am wondering if we should stay at Gaidos or Harbor House ....not sure why I am making the decisions so hard it is only one night

Both have parking

Gaidos shuttle

Harbor House you can walk to terminals or have a shuttle for convenience

Gaidos have a beach, swimming pool

HH have access at pool at Galvez

HH is on port

Both recently remodeled and seen both

HH has much larger rooms

HH is on port and can watch ships come in FROM ROOM or walk down stairs and watch from docks in back of hotel

Gaidos price is cheaper

HH is in OLD Town with Strand and Post Office streets

Both have plenty to do around

HH probably more to do

Pricing: ?????

Rooms

Shuttles

Parking

Edited by ssb

My advise on parking is Galveston Park & Cruise. We did that last year and liked it so well we are going that route again this year. We could have parked at the hotel but I liked the fact of not having to shuttle anywhere. We chose indoor parking for the piece of mind that our car was out of the weather and locked in a building. We pulled up at the terminal in our car, dropped off our bags, and went across the street to park and then walked back across the street to the terminal. When leaving the ship we chose to do self disembarkation and pulled our bags across the street with us. No waiting for shuttles and was on the road as soon as we walked across the street and got in the car. This is just my opinion and you will have to choose what you think will be best for your situation. Hope this info helps.

We do the same as posted above, but use ezcruise parking, it is only 2 blocks from the terminal. Book on line and use promotional code AnySail for $10 off, (price will be $47 for the week) good until 7/31, but they have been using this same promo every month.

HH has been charging $10/day for parking in their lot. But you can move your car to the Galvez parking garage and leave it for free, then they will shuttle you to the pier.

Personally, since you have a car and if your are just looking for a place to lay your head, I would check hotel prices and ratings on TripAdvisor and pick the cheapest. We have stayed at almost every hotel on the Island and haven't found much difference between hotels as long as the ratings are good.

Personally I'd book Gaido's or the Commodore and park at Galveston Park and Cruise. Those two hotels are fairly cheap and decent.

I've used EZ cruise, official parking and tried a cab. The Galveston Park and Cruise is around the cheapest and you walk from your car, it's literally across the street from the customs terminal. Even closer than the HH lot, and cheaper.

EZ Cruise was nice but I didn't like waiting for the shuttle. Cabs are just unreliable, after waiting two hours after the appointed pickup time I just parked in the official lot.

• 2 weeks later...