I am over Online TA and Australian Travel Agents in General

Recently received an email for a four day special from an online agency we have used in the past, for a flycruise in Asia in Septermber 2014

Keen to go but they could not offer the special because we live in Perth and it would have cost us an extra $300 each if we would fly to Hong Kong and then back to Singapore to get the ship as they could "not" get us to Singapore from Perth (4 1/2 hours flying time) with Singapore Airways for the same fare as flying from Sydney, Melbourne etc. Yes we could fly to Adelaide to catch the flights but that would have added $800 to the cost of the package.

All got to hard.

In a nutshell - booked direct with Princess and utilised their "Flights" option with Singapore airway - got a balcony (as opposed to a oceanview ) all up for $6,000 for two persons With one nights accommodation and 6 nights accommodation in Beijing (in better quality hotels than the package offered)we have saved $4,000 on the package deal offered by the agency. We have not factored in is transfers in Singapore and Beijing. $85 OBC and two full day tours in Beijing. I know the agencies need to make profit but just how much is justified.

We did book a cruise with some other friends with a local agency two years ago ($15,000 was spent)- Dubai to Amsterdam and when I enquired with the local agent if there was a possibility of a bottle of wine or two being provided complimentary for each cabin I was curtly advised "who was going to Pay"?

We have booked in the past with USA agents (which will no longer accept booking from Australia even though the cruises began in the USA) who bent over backwards to give the best pricing, monitored price drops and had a bottle for two of the good stuff when you got into your cabin and usually an upgraded category cabin

Folks there are savings out there to be had - even it if just covers your gratuities and drinks tab -

Keep on cruising

Folks there are savings out there to be had - even it if just covers your gratuities and drinks tab

I agree, shop around whether it be an Aussie TA or abroad, or an Online TA, or go direct. Shop around and get the best overall package you can muster. We all work hard to get the money in the first place so make sure you get some bang for your buck.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Although I agree generally with your comments/perspective, I would point out it may not be profiteering that caused the price difference in flights.

It actually sounds like there was different pricing in effect for the cruise line booking vs the TA. Can't say for sure without the fare basis, but it's a good example of why you should price compare in any case.

Recently received an email for a four day special from an online agency we have used in the past, for a flycruise in Asia in Septermber 2014

Keen to go but they could not offer the special because we live in Perth and it would have cost us an extra $300 each if we would fly to Hong Kong and then back to Singapore to get the ship as they could "not" get us to Singapore from Perth (4 1/2 hours flying time) with Singapore Airways for the same fare as flying from Sydney, Melbourne etc. Yes we could fly to Adelaide to catch the flights but that would have added $800 to the cost of the package.

All got to hard.

In a nutshell - booked direct with Princess and utilised their "Flights" option with Singapore airway - got a balcony (as opposed to a oceanview ) all up for $6,000 for two persons With one nights accommodation and 6 nights accommodation in Beijing (in better quality hotels than the package offered)we have saved $4,000 on the package deal offered by the agency. We have not factored in is transfers in Singapore and Beijing. $85 OBC and two full day tours in Beijing. I know the agencies need to make profit but just how much is justified.

We did book a cruise with some other friends with a local agency two years ago ($15,000 was spent)- Dubai to Amsterdam and when I enquired with the local agent if there was a possibility of a bottle of wine or two being provided complimentary for each cabin I was curtly advised "who was going to Pay"?

We have booked in the past with USA agents (which will no longer accept booking from Australia even though the cruises began in the USA) who bent over backwards to give the best pricing, monitored price drops and had a bottle for two of the good stuff when you got into your cabin and usually an upgraded category cabin

Folks there are savings out there to be had - even it if just covers your gratuities and drinks tab -

Keep on cruising

That is significant sailings for sure. Gee TA's just don't get how to win repeat business do they??! :confused: no wonder companies are finding it tough.

I didn't realise Princess had a 'flights option'. That's good to know as we were thinking of Princess for our next cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So do royal and therefore celebrity and azmara

Well worth it especially with one way fares needed for a lot of cruises

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tried celebrity's choice air for us and it was dearer with lousy connection :( not impressed. It seems the value is fine for US travellers but not Aussies.

I have checked this option in the past and would generally agree with you.

However for our next cruise with Princess we were able to get the best fare with their flight option using Singapore Airlines and flying direct Perth to Singapore and then Beijing to Perth.

Booking direct with Singapore was going to cost $2,200 each, using cheapest online agency $1500 each, Princess was $1,161 each.

So in this case it definitely worked for us. As Qantas no longer flys the Perth Singapore route, other than the budget airlines, Singapore Airways has the monopoly for this route and can charge accordingly.

I have checked this option in the past and would generally agree with you.

However for our next cruise with Princess we were able to get the best fare with their flight option using Singapore Airlines and flying direct Perth to Singapore and then Beijing to Perth.

Booking direct with Singapore was going to cost $2,200 each, using cheapest online agency $1500 each, Princess was $1,161 each.

So in this case it definitely worked for us. As Qantas no longer flys the Perth Singapore route, other than the budget airlines, Singapore Airways has the monopoly for this route and can charge accordingly.

Bpos. Thank you for posting this! This is good news. From my previous one & only attempt I would not have bothered again, however your great deal will keep me motivated to continue exploring those options! Cheers.:)

We couldn't even ex Bris, as Sydney was our nearest option.,.l very disappointing exercise :(.

TAs are no different to experts in other fields - there are poor, mediocre and excellent. We have used our TA for over twenty years - she is fantastic and always gets the best deal for us and her expertise in booking connecting flights is invaluable. It costs us no more than going direct. We have also booked cruises with US agents (it's a furphy that Aussies can't do this) but each time our Oz agent has bettered the price. I still do research when she makes her recommendations and gives me the price but she always betters it with inclusions due to the volume of business her agency generates.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

TAs are no different to experts in other fields - there are poor, mediocre and excellent. We have used our TA for over twenty years - she is fantastic and always gets the best deal for us and her expertise in booking connecting flights is invaluable. It costs us no more than going direct. We have also booked cruises with US agents (it's a furphy that Aussies can't do this) but each time our Oz agent has bettered the price. I still do research when she makes her recommendations and gives me the price but she always betters it with inclusions due to the volume of business her agency generates.

Here here

Only thing is price comparison is set part by region

I book different ways according to the individual itinerary and where the line are pushing to get clientelle

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good stuff. Keep the TA working for you, do the research and shop around, if the TA can do it for similar or better than use them, that is what we do. :D