Formal nights

nb125

We are doing an 11 day cruise with only one sea day. I know there are three formal nights so apart from the sea day does any anyone of any idea of where they would place the other two.

We are doing an 11 day cruise with only one sea day. I know there are three formal nights so apart from the sea day does any anyone of any idea of where they would place the other two.

If you post your ship and departure date, or even better - your itinerary, I'm sure someone can help.

A reasonably reliable bet is that the second night and the second to last night will be formal nights.

However, if either of those days involves a late departure from port, then look to the nearest port day that involves an earlier departure.

These are rules of thumb only, YMMV.

If you post your ship and departure date, or even better - your itinerary, I'm sure someone can help.
Ship and departure date is in the signature. Here is the itinerary:

0 25 Aug 2014 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 04:00 PM

1 26 Aug 2014 Cruising Strait of Messina CO

1 26 Aug 2014 Messina, Italy Noon 08:00 PM

2 27 Aug 2014 Valletta, Malta 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

3 28 Aug 2014 At Sea

4 29 Aug 2014 Argostoli, Greece TR 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

5 30 Aug 2014 Kerkira, Corfu, Greece 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

6 31 Aug 2014 Dubrovnik, Croatia 10:00 AM 11:59 PM

7 01 Sep 2014 Kotor, Montenegro 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

8 02 Sep 2014 Korcula, Croatia TR 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

9 03 Sep 2014 Split, Croatia TR 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

10 04 Sep 2014 Venice, Italy ON 08:00 AM

11 05 Sep 2014 Venice, Italy 06:00 AM

My guesses are 27 Aug, 30 Aug, and 3 Sep. Ordinarily I'd say the sea day, but that would put it too close to the logical second day, early departure from Corfu.

Edited by catl331

My guesses are 27 Aug, 30 Aug, and 3 Sep. Ordinarily I'd say the sea day, but that would put it too close to the logical second day, early departure from Corfu.

Thanks! Your guesses are what mine would be. Hopefully someone who's done the trip will weigh in.

Sorry I didn't get back with the itinarary, just back from a week in Corfu and catching up on the washing and ironing :(. Thank you Carol for doing it for me:)

We have received our documents and it states three nights. I want to book the Pinnacle for at least one of them but not the sea day as it is a bit early in the cruise.

Sorry I didn't get back with the itinarary, just back from a week in Corfu and catching up on the washing and ironing :(. Thank you Carol for doing it for me:)

We have received our documents and it states three nights. I want to book the Pinnacle for at least one of them but not the sea day as it is a bit early in the cruise.

Call HAL ship services , Kim Swenson can let you know exactly what days are formal. Great group of people to help you! On our 24 day cruise from Barcelona to Venice last summer we knew what days were formal with the info from them.

We have received our documents and it states three nights.
But we have had cruises with fewer than what the edocs said.

Call HAL ship services , Kim Swenson can let you know exactly what days are formal.
The final days are set by the ship, and may not be as many or when HQ says.

Edited by jtl513

We called 2 days prior before we flew to Barcelona and it was right on! That is what Kim told us to do before we left.

Sailing Nieuw Amsterdam 2/15/2015 14 day Caribbean Cruise

3Star Mariner

We just had a cruise earlier this year and the cruise docs said that there were 2 formal nights. In reality, there were 3. We only found out because Innlady was on before us and posted about it.

Call HAL ship services , Kim Swenson can let you know exactly what days are formal. Great group of people to help you! On our 24 day cruise from Barcelona to Venice last summer we knew what days were formal with the info from them.

I contacted HAL and got this response

Thank you for taking the time to contact Holland America Line.

We do not have confirmed dates for the formal nights, as they are changable, the ship does not issue the dates until you board the cruise.

We apologise for this.

I contacted HAL and got this response

Thank you for taking the time to contact Holland America Line.

We do not have confirmed dates for the formal nights, as they are changable, the ship does not issue the dates until you board the cruise.

We apologise for this.

Surprise to me!!!!! That did not happen at all to us when we called last year! We wanted to know the formal date so we could juggle with the Pinnicale Grill reservations. I am sorry they could not help you! A lot of customer service has changed I guess. I will be calling them in regards to this. Maybe Kim was being nice to us for some reason. I am scheduled for our Carribean Cruise next March and will call again to find out formal nites!

Have a wonderful Cruise!

Surprise to me!!!!! ... I will be calling them ...
Kim et al can make predictions, just like we can, but her picks carry no more weight than ours because it is up to on-board staff to set them.

Surprise to me!!!!! That did not happen at all to us when we called last year! We wanted to know the formal date so we could juggle with the Pinnicale Grill reservations. I am sorry they could not help you! A lot of customer service has changed I guess. I will be calling them in regards to this. Maybe Kim was being nice to us for some reason. I am scheduled for our Carribean Cruise next March and will call again to find out formal nites!

Have a wonderful Cruise!

I assume you contacted HAL in the US. I emailed HAL in the UK maybe that's the difference