Blog: 2016 ex-UK Cruises?

Been slacking with the blog lately so just done a new post.

http://sailawaycruiseblog.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/will-thomson-cruises-return-to-cruising-from-the-uk-in-2016/

It's on ex-UK cruises and if you would like to see a return in 2016. Added it now as Thomson usually start to add its ships onto schedules around the end of August, so not far off now. And they seem to have done the winter cruises and repos. itineraries earlier than normal so wouldn't be surprised if they are added quite soon.

I've added a poll on the blog post to see if people want a return to ex-UK or not. :)

Edited by Sailaway487

Just been reading an interview with Thomson Cruises' MD Helen Caron. When asked about ex-UK cruises being dropped, this was her answer:

“The main reason for pulling out was due to changes in fuel regulations which were going to make it very expensive to continue in the UK for summer 2015. Restrictions have been put in place for Northern Europe increasing the costs of staying in the UK massively. Also with ever increasing competition we feel it would be much more productive to move elsewhere. This move also gives us the opportunity to go to Dubrovnik which is an absolutely beautiful destination. “

http://tuischoolleaverscheme.wordpress.com

Edited by Sailaway487

Hmm I wonder if we'll see other cruise operators reduce their UK operations because of the fuel regulations. I believe P&O are already reducing their cruises from Southampton in favour of more fly-cruises to the med.

"52 cruise ships are scheduled to call at the Liverpool Cruise Terminal during 2014. In total, the ships are expected to bring over 70,000 visitors to the city.

A number of different cruise companies will send vessels to the northern city in 2014, including Princess Cruises’ Ruby Princess, MSC’s Magnifica and Cunard’s Queen Mary 2.

According to the Mersey Maritime Group, the Liverpool Cruise Terminal is quickly growing in popularity. It began operating fully in 2008, hosting just 13 cruise ships in that first year.

Fast forward to 2012, and Liverpool Cruise Terminal welcomed 42 "calls". It is expected that 52 ships will call at the terminal next year: a growth of 23.8% in one year alone."

Lets face it Liverpool is no Southampton but I was pleased with our cruise from there the other week and was pleased for them that the above cruise lines are supporting Liverpool and the economy .

Places like Glasgow and Newcastle should be getting the same support and I hope it does happen for them and the jobs and local wealth it could possibly bring . To anyone who has travelled from Bristol (Avenmouth ) will have noted that the best they have to offer is a works canteen and a warehouse used as the check in but again they are investing to take advantage of this lucrative industry and all it could bring to them .

Aware that Thomson seem to have along with other companies have moved to avoid the clean fuel costs that the UK are to impose this year .

I am disappointed as even ferry companies and other shipping also have to bear these costs as well. Just a personal thought but without this cleaner fuel should we be allowing these ships into one of the last clean places on Earth , the Artic circle ?

I am glad that certain companies are supporting the UK cruise industry and as well as my fly cruise I am more than happy to set sail from any of our UK ports .:):cool:

Edited by kalos

there was some talk a few years ago about falmouth cornwall being developed for cruise ships (this would have been a massive boost to the area...an area that relys heavilly on tourists) there was quite a campaign locally to get the funding but in the end they? (someone?) decided that liverpool would get the cash...it was felt that international visitors would preffer to embark in liverpool and ( I guess) liverpool has much better transport links so they won the funding

the cynic in me would also say that the clean air regulations costs are mostly about taxes and penalties

moral...its not really down to cruise lines to make these decisions....its all down to money

I believe older ships have more difficulties meeting the new regulations on fuel. I asked Fraser Ellacot the question in the Q&A session after seeing a local news item about the impact on Brittany Ferries. He was rather evasive saying it wouldn't impact on Thomson but did say he understood how it would be a big issue for Brittany Ferries. I didn't understand the rationale behind that answer at the time but clearly it wasn't going to affect them - they were just going to pull their ship from the area to avoid the hiked up taxes (fines really for not having cleaner fuel).

I reckon it's all down to the age of their ships - new ones have more efficient engines and are built with pollution issues in mind.

So this doesn't just look like a 1 or 2 year break for UK departures as has happened in the past. And should they return, I expect their costs will go up quite a lot. :(

Of course, Thomson have the flight market, so perhaps it makes sense to their accountants to fill their planes and hotels to Dubrovnik and make a bigger profit .:rolleyes:

This has made me a bit sad as I prefer the Northern cruises at the moment. However I didn't realise the reason was pollution and I am in total agreement to try and stop this and if I can never cruise from Newcastle again until newer cleaner ships come so be it. I would hate to think I was visiting places because of their natural beauty but spoiling it in the process.

Just one thing though as we are all in the EU how come the Med ports don't have this ruling?

It definitely does seem to be more of a permanent move to not cruise out of the UK, which is a shame. With Thomson usually deciding to put their older ship on the ex-UK itineraries too, perhaps we will won't see a return for a long time.

Another thought though, as Egypt, Israel, Tunisia and the Black Sea are all off limits it's going to be rather difficult coming up with interesting itineraries for five ships (including IE).

A very good point happy v.

Marmaris itineraries are going to have to just concentrate on Greece & Turkey, and apart from Istanbul, most of these ports can be reached by Majesty from Corfu. So if they reduced Greece & Turkey from Corfu so they just concentrate on Marmaris for these, then Majesty would be doing Italy & Croatia mainly, but these are now used from Dubrovnik. I am wondering if having Majesty and Celebration doing similar itineraries is going to work in terms of passenger numbers? Could we even see a reduction in ships?

Edited by Sailaway487

For information

The maximum level of sulphur in ships fuel will be reduced from 1% to 0.1% in EU Sulphur Emission Control Areas from 2015. These areas are the Baltic Sea, North Sea and English Channel.

By 2020 all ships in other EU waters will have to reduce their sulphur level to 0.5%, down from 1.5% for passenger ships.

The alternatives are use low sulphur fuel or modern filtering technologies.

There are possible fuel cost increases of 60% to 90%.

Six years folks and the clock is ticking :eek: