Central London hotel transport to LHR

Does anyone have recent experience with a shuttle van or car service (cheaper than taxi) from a central London hotel (Intercontinental @ Westminster)? We're staying on for a couple of days at the end of our cruise & have a 10:30 a.m. flight on a Sat. Hopefully traffic won't be as heavy. We're too old to schlep our own suitcases through the train/tube routine...those days are past us. The hotel will arrange a car for 100 GBP. Trip advisor doesn't seem to have recent experience. Many thanks.

This has been answered many many times on this page but here we go again.

We have used http://www.totallydriven.co.uk for the last 25 or so years. Cost should be about 40£ .

You have to be at the airport at least3 hours in advance of your flight unlettered joy are in business or first classes.

Your looking at a6:30 pick up from your hotel. Good luck.

I used Simply Airport March '13. Price from airport to hotel off Trafalgar Square (WC2N) for two adults was 36£ and 30£ return to airport.

As mentioned if you'll scroll thru the boards you'll see several companies mentioned: justairports, simplyairports, Smiths, totallydriven, etc.

I know when I went out on trip advisor every company had mixed reviews and I had trepidations. However the service provided was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

both for good advice. Sorry you were put upon Orchestra pal. When you do a search this thread for advice, you get people who want to go to/from Southampton or the other ports to/from the airports. We're very fortunate to have our ship tie up close to the London Bridge so it's not a problem finding transport to the Interconti when we disembark...and yes, we are flying business/first. Hardly a joyful experience but better than the alternative.

both for good advice. Sorry you were put upon Orchestra pal. When you do a search this thread for advice, you get people who want to go to/from Southampton or the other ports to/from the airports. We're very fortunate to have our ship tie up close to the London Bridge so it's not a problem finding transport to the Interconti when we disembark...and yes, we are flying business/first. Hardly a joyful experience but better than the alternative.

Just for information for future Britain trips, the same companies do all the ports and the airports to and from London. The exception would be private drivers out of Harwich or Southampton.

Thanks for the info. Our flight leaves LHR at 6:30 am to Amsterdam enroute to JRO. We are staying at Park Plaza County Hall. What time should we book a car to arrive in time for our flight on a Tuesday morning in September? What time should we plan to be at the airport?

Thanks,

Kathy

Kathy, did someone forget to tell you you're on vacation? 6:30 am? Ouch!

I'm sure one of the locals will be on here soon to provide a London perspective, but here's what I know from my limited experiences.

In ideal road conditions it's around a 40 minute drive, plus you need to be at the airport at least 2 hours prior to flight. Being your flight is so early you'll also be in the early morning rush at Heathrow.

Have you considered checking out of the Park Plaza the night prior to your flight and using a hotel in Heathrow?

Barbara

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you considered checking out of the Park Plaza the night prior to your flight and using a hotel in Heathrow?
The Yotel in Terminal 4 would be ideal for this, as you can use it as a cheap crash pad. KLM operates from T4, so getting to check-in should be a simple matter of going up one floor from the mezzanine to check-in.

Personally, I'd be researching the possibility of flying to Amsterdam the evening before, and staying that night in an airport hotel there.

I'm sure one of the locals will be on here soon to provide a London perspective, but here's what I know from my limited experiences.

I also recommend posting this question on the Cruise Air board. (Glancing at the list of threads, you'll see the discussion isn't limited to cruise-offered air travel.) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

The people who populate that board have some of the most detailed information about air travel. Somewhat less than two weeks ago, this board started getting reports of tightened security procedures for flights going directly to the US. All that additional security took more time. I haven't read that things have relaxed after this alert.

Between the helpful Londoners who populate this board and the flight board participants, you're likely to get accurate information.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Slight hijacking of the thread as I pass the Intercontinental at Westminster on my way to work each day. If you get a chance try the fish and chip shop down Strutton Ground nearby (The Laughing Halibut) and if you want to try a real proper British cafe, then head down to The Regency - probably about a five to ten minute walk down at Regency Street nearby.

Anyway, I'm not sure of the timings but you won't be far from Victoria Coach Station and there will be National Express coaches from there to Heathrow. Alternatively you can get a cab to Paddington Station and get the Heathrow Express (or the cheaper and slower Heathrow Connect) to the airport. However I'm not sure what hour they start in the morning.

Alternatively if you do decide to do the tube route then you're actually very well located for it. The Intercontinental is opposite St James Park underground station. If you go that way, be warned there are probably about twenty steps down at this station. But if you get the westbound District line towards either Richmond or Ealing then stay on it until Baron's Court because if you change there then you won't have to lug your luggage up and down more steps. You just stay on the same platform but walk to the other side for the Piccadilly line to Heathrow. This will be significantly slower than other choices as both the District and Piccadilly have a lot of stations.

Slight hijacking of the thread as I pass the Intercontinental at Westminster on my way to work each day.
If I may be forgiven for a bit more thread creep, anyone reading this thread should note that this Intercontinental is becoming a Conrad with effect from (it is believed) 1 September 2014 or thereabouts.