Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Smoking on Balconies

Poohsmommi

For those of you who keep talking about sectioning off a block of rooms for smoking balconies, I received this email today in response to an email I sent yesterday regarding that topic:

Thank you for your email.

We did look at a range of possibilities when making the recent changes to our smoking policy as we always try to address the needs of all of our guests. However, there is a level of complexity when trying to designate certain stateroom balconies as smoking, as we may not always have someone who smokes in that room or the surrounding rooms. Therefore, we opted to keep the policy straight-forward. We understand this is not popular with everyone, but we do have designated smoking areas in various locations on each ship.

We appreciate you expressing your concerns. We hope you will continue to sail with us.

If I can assist you in any other way, please let me know.

Best Regards,

AnneMarie

AnneMarie Mathews | Vice President, Public Relations

Didn't feel like checking into a HAL cruise? Granted, their cruisers are mostly older but my family enjoyed a cruise on the Veendam several years ago. Kids were 12 and 14 at the time and they had a blast.

My "kids" are 17, 20, 24 and 28 so I am not sure they would want to try HAL. Maybe it's a bad rap, but HAL is synonymous with wheelchairs in their minds :p

We have been cruising for 10 years now so it won't kill us to try something different next year. Fortunately we got our 2014 cruise in before this whole mess :eek:

We did a Med cruise last summer and totally fell in love with Barcelona so if we can swing it we may go spend a week there and take the train to other places. Or we may spend a week in Rome and train around there. And I have found a ton of all inclusives to Caribbean destinations that actually come out much cheaper than cruising!

I would say that it is equal. The rules are the rules. we equally have to follow them. I like to swim in the pool nude and I know a lot of nudists do as well but those pesky clothes wearers are stopping us. I like to get up at 5am and put my stuff on 4 lounge chairs and them have them reserved all day but those pesky people against chogs stop me. I like to wear my speedos in the MDR at dinner (except formal night where I wear my top hat) but the majority of the people stop me there too.

its all how you look at it. since this affects you, you think that its not equal but in reality NCL will make any rules they feel will help their brand and we are all equal in following it

Had nude swimming and speedo wearing in the MDR been fine up until now, I might agree with you.

If it doesn't affect you, of course you see no problem with the rule and therefore have no problem in following it.

Then if a non smoker were sitting there it should certainly revert back to non smoking

Or do you actually think that would be wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If an NCL crew member makes a certain area smoking even if it's temporary then no I'm not not smoking. Non smokers have so much more room that is non smoking they can go to that area for the temporary time.

Had nude swimming and speedo wearing in the MDR been fine up until now, I might agree with you.

If it doesn't affect you, of course you see no problem with the rule and therefore have no problem in following it.

In case you haven't noticed, rules change all the time (ie dress codes for instance.) That is part of life too. You want the rules to remain static as long as they benefit you and you want them to change if they don't. Don't we all. The problem is we don't all want the same thing and the cruiseline can not please us all. That is not possible. What they will do set rules to 1) either increase their revenues and/or 2) appease the majority of their customers. Since you are now in the minority due current smoking trends in our society, this will be a no win situation for you. It is unfortunate for you, but it doesn't change the fact that NCL is keeping up with the current times. Your addiction has you stuck wanting the past.

For those of you who keep talking about sectioning off a block of rooms for smoking balconies, I received this email today in response to an email I sent yesterday regarding that topic:

Thank you for your email.

We did look at a range of possibilities when making the recent changes to our smoking policy as we always try to address the needs of all of our guests. However, there is a level of complexity when trying to designate certain stateroom balconies as smoking, as we may not always have someone who smokes in that room or the surrounding rooms. Therefore, we opted to keep the policy straight-forward. We understand this is not popular with everyone, but we do have designated smoking areas in various locations on each ship.

We appreciate you expressing your concerns. We hope you will continue to sail with us.

If I can assist you in any other way, please let me know.

Best Regards,

AnneMarie

AnneMarie Mathews | Vice President, Public Relations

Like I said, if it was an alternative, it would have been done years ago.

I haven't smoked for 15 years. Smoking increases the chances of heart disease, stroke, and hypertension. It also leads to increased chances of getting Cancer of the lung, throat, mouth, esophagus, bladder and cervix. That all being true, I remember when smoking was allowed almost everywhere. It was pleasurable to enjoy a cigarette in a fine restaurant after a meal with your coffee. I can remember flying across the country looking out the window enjoying a cigarette. I still enjoy the smell of smoke and if I had even 1 cigarette, I would be smoking 2 packs a day within a week. Smokers are now undergoing persecution through outrageously high taxes, restrictions on where smoking is allowed, and social ostracism. The result we are seeing in terms of lower rates of smoking is improving and will improve public health. How come the non smokers of 20, 30 or 40 years ago did not object to all the smoking? Or maybe a better question is why are there now many people who complain of smelling wisps of smoke on the open ocean while traveling at better than 20 knots? The nose can detect the smell of smoke in parts per million. I believe many of the rabid anti-smokers have been conditioned to react with disgust to any slight aroma of tobacco. Anti-smoking education, and even propaganda, and changes in regulations and laws have made these people feel empowered to self-righteously persecute non-smokers. Seems like I remember our country was once more free.

I haven't smoked for 15 years. Smoking increases the chances of heart disease, stroke, and hypertension. It also leads to increased chances of getting Cancer of the lung, throat, mouth, esophagus, bladder and cervix. That all being true, I remember when smoking was allowed almost everywhere. It was pleasurable to enjoy a cigarette in a fine restaurant after a meal with your coffee. I can remember flying across the country looking out the window enjoying a cigarette. I still enjoy the smell of smoke and if I had even 1 cigarette, I would be smoking 2 packs a day within a week. Smokers are now undergoing persecution through outrageously high taxes, restrictions on where smoking is allowed, and social ostracism. The result we are seeing in terms of lower rates of smoking is improving and will improve public health. How come the non smokers of 20, 30 or 40 years ago did not object to all the smoking? Or maybe a better question is why are there now many people who complain of smelling wisps of smoke on the open ocean while traveling at better than 20 knots? The nose can detect the smell of smoke in parts per million. I believe many of the rabid anti-smokers have been conditioned to react with disgust to any slight aroma of tobacco. Anti-smoking education, and even propaganda, and changes in regulations and laws have made these people feel empowered to self-righteously persecute non-smokers. Seems like I remember our country was once more free.

All your wrote is very true. Like you I hope one day soon I can call myself an ex-smoker. Just bought myself a ecig yesterday Seems to be working and have cut down a bunch today. We shall see how it goes. Wish me luck.

All your wrote is very true. Like you I hope one day soon I can call myself an ex-smoker. Just bought myself a ecig yesterday Seems to be working and have cut down a bunch today. We shall see how it goes. Wish me luck.
I'll be the first to wish you good luck!! Hopefully, if you do quit, you will cruise again and we will one day be on the same cruise. Edited by NLH Arizona

Best of luck to you. I have been using the e cig for 2 months now and so far so good.

Not true. The desires of one group of passengers is being given more weight than the desires of another group.

Sort of like the lines no longer serving meat to accommodate vegans. Each group should have the ability to eat as they please without excluding the other.

A small block of balcony cabins designated for smoking could accomplish that instead an all out ban.

My niece is a vegan. What she eats does not have any impact on carnivores. Smoking is invasive. Veganism is not.

Excellent post

Once you give people a soapbox or a bandwagon it gets pretty crowded pretty fast . They all come out of the wood work.

Not just smoking but many other things. One day some one decides something is wrong or offensive and everyone else has to chime in "Hey yeah ...You're right I'm offended , lets get rid of that "

Best of luck to you. I have been using the e cig for 2 months now and so far so good.

I could not find the original post bit wanted to wish Arizona the best of luck too. It takes trial and error to find the right e-cig that does the trick but I think I have found mine and am on my way to joining all the non-smolers here on this thread. I only fear is that I do not know what the impact will be having to be mixed in with those using real cigarettes on our next cruise. It is very hard to quit but very easy to let your guard down and start smoking again.

Umfortunately I feel by many of the posts on this thread that those I am attempting to join are fighting our desire to join them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I'll be the first to wish you good luck!! Hopefully, if you do quit, you will cruise again and we will one day be on the same cruise.

Oh I haven't cancelled my cruise. I'm looking forward to it. Like I have said I just will make small changes and smoke where I'm allowed. Not really that difficult. And thanks.

My "kids" are 17, 20, 24 and 28 so I am not sure they would want to try HAL. Maybe it's a bad rap, but HAL is synonymous with wheelchairs in their minds :p

We have been cruising for 10 years now so it won't kill us to try something different next year. Fortunately we got our 2014 cruise in before this whole mess :eek:

We did a Med cruise last summer and totally fell in love with Barcelona so if we can swing it we may go spend a week there and take the train to other places. Or we may spend a week in Rome and train around there. And I have found a ton of all inclusives to Caribbean destinations that actually come out much cheaper than cruising!

I felt the same and I will say, the average age of a HAL cruiser is quite a bit higher than Carnival or NCL. But they still have beautiful ships, kid programs, sports on board, great good, and good entertainment. Fewer falling down drunk people as well but more scooters. Just a way you could enjoy what you like to do (at least for a little while longer).

Just wanted to present you another option. Yes, I love land vacations as well and take several a year. Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy! :)

You got it!! 10 feet from the sand 20 feet from the water at high tide.

Actually to be more specific and accurate the deck opens right on to the sand

See why I don't need a balcony cabin ? Lol

And water that is 60° and smoking not allowed on a wide open beach. Nope doesn't sound like a vacation to me. I'll stick to my 85° Florida beaches were I can smoke all day long if I so choose. ;)

Do you want to ask if there are 20 disabled kids who can't move without crutches or their helpers and were sitting in an authorized smoking area would I still smoke? Most of your scenarios are getting to be this stupid but I'll answer anyway. YES. If you or ANYONE else wishes to sit in a smoking area, you will be invited with open arms but you will have to put up with smokers lighting up. ANYONE means just that.........ANYONE. If a group of nuns, wheelchair bound folks with oxygen masks, the Captain, or Jesus himself want to sit in an NCL authorized smoking area, they will put up with smokers smoking. Got it?

I am a non smoker and I don't blame you in the least. Smoke em if you got em. There are plenty of other places I can go if it bothers me, including my balcony.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

And water that is 60° and smoking not allowed on a wide open beach. Nope doesn't sound like a vacation to me. I'll stick to my 85° Florida beaches were I can smoke all day long if I so choose. ;)

60 degrees? Not here. It's beautiful warm and clean

Oh and no midday thunderstorms

The folks on the beach are definitely not smokers. Haven't smelled it. Private beach and the homeowners association does not allow smoking on the grounds

Go figure

With e-cigs outdoors is probably not an issue, indoors they still have a second hand impact with Nicotine and particulates.

I am not sure if you are the second person or you are the same person who commented on Nicotine still being in e cigs but I will ask you this as I am curious. How is anyone who is smoking an ecig that does not contain tar affect your health? I am asking because I am truly curious as I have always thought that the tar, and other things are what is harmful to smokers and those around smoke and thought that the nicotine only affected the person smoking.

My mom is one of those who will walk over to me in a designated smoking area and sit down and wave her hand and cover her mouth (which drives me nuts but she's my mom so I just tell her I'll be over there to sit with her in a little bit) but in the car or in a hotel room she is not in the least bit bothered by my ecig mine is cinnamon and is vapor not like one of those that the end lights up it has a small button I push to get the vapor. I am just wondering why nicotine is brought up with ecigs??

As to the smoking ban on balconies well I don't like it but I"ll deal with it by not paying more for a balcony and just getting an inside cabin and save money.

I am not sure if you are the second person or you are the same person who commented on Nicotine still being in e cigs but I will ask you this as I am curious. How is anyone who is smoking an ecig that does not contain tar affect your health? I am asking because I am truly curious as I have always thought that the tar, and other things are what is harmful to smokers and those around smoke and thought that the nicotine only affected the person smoking.

My mom is one of those who will walk over to me in a designated smoking area and sit down and wave her hand and cover her mouth (which drives me nuts but she's my mom so I just tell her I'll be over there to sit with her in a little bit) but in the car or in a hotel room she is not in the least bit bothered by my ecig mine is cinnamon and is vapor not like one of those that the end lights up it has a small button I push to get the vapor. I am just wondering why nicotine is brought up with ecigs??

As to the smoking ban on balconies well I don't like it but I"ll deal with it by not paying more for a balcony and just getting an inside cabin and save money.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/vapor-e-cigs-nicotine-toxins-tobacco-study-article-1.1565760

Secondhand vapor from e-cigarettes contains nicotine but not other toxins: study

"What we found is that non-users of e-cigarettes might be exposed to nicotine but not to many toxicants when they are in close proximity to e-cigarette users," said Goniewicz.

"It is currently very hard to predict what would be the health impact of such exposure," he added.

Edited by JulieAF

60 degrees? Not here. It's beautiful warm and clean

Oh and no midday thunderstorms

The folks on the beach are definitely not smokers. Haven't smelled it. Private beach and the homeowners association does not allow smoking on the grounds

Go figure

WOW, you live in a place where they tell you what you can do on your own property!?