Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Smoking on Balconies

Poohsmommi

No one was polled. People put it on their surveys, they write, they call, they email, etc. NCL told me that they had an overwhelming amount of complaints about smoking on the balconies. Is it every customer, no, but I'm sure it was enough for them to come to the conclusion that most don't want smoking on balconies.

And that is the point I was trying to make to those who are married to the "fact" that "only 10% of cruisers smoke".

The squeaky wheel got the grease. Smokers had no reason to be writing, calling, emailing and complaining, so of course the "majority" of the interaction would be from non-smokers.

Time will tell how it all plays out. It is what it is.

And that is the point I was trying to make to those who are married to the "fact" that "only 10% of cruisers smoke".

The squeaky wheel got the grease. Smokers had no reason to be writing, calling, emailing and complaining, so of course the "majority" of the interaction would be from non-smokers.

Then now is the time to call and write and complain about the new policy and see if they will change it. I'm sure if the majority of complaints they get about the new policy are smokers wanting to change it back, they will change it back.

NCL isn't the first cruise line to restrict smoking and won't be the last. Anyone who has paid attention the last several years should have seen the handwriting on the wall. Smokers are a dwindling minority and the number of places at sea and on land, in the US and elsewhere, that have prohibited or severely restricted smoking is growing steadily.

Anyone expecting things to change because of a letter or email writing campaign is living in a fantasy world.

NCL isn't the first cruise line to restrict smoking and won't be the last. Anyone who has paid attention the last several years should have seen the handwriting on the wall. Smokers are a dwindling minority and the number of places at sea and on land, in the US and elsewhere, that have prohibited or severely restricted smoking is growing steadily.

Anyone expecting things to change because of a letter or email writing campaign is living in a fantasy world.

I agree. It is trending.

Just today one of our suburb cities, Frisco, Texas announced a new smoking ban in all public parks.

Things will continue to become more and more restrictive.

Him. :D

But thank you for understanding that it is not I who is making the rules, only following the rules. Some people just can't seem to grasp that notion.

My apologies. I shouldn't assume as everyone assumes I am a HIM and I am actually a HER LOL :)

So expecting a smoker to not smoke on the non smoking side is now my way or the highway?

Sorry but No waycan the non smoking side be turned into the smoking side. Especially if a non smoker is sitting there the smoker is the one who must refrain not the other way around

You can't actually think its ok to smoke on the starboard while the port is being cleaned can you? Come on think clearly here.

How long could it take to clean it really?

A smoker can't refrain but Instead goes to smoke on the non smoking side? Possibly offending non smokers? Really is it that important to smoke at that very moment?

Hmm.... Talk about my way or the highway. Lol it is the smoker who is playing that card not me or any other non smoker sitting in the non smoking section

And btw when I mistakenly realize I am on the smoking side I just turn around and leave it

And if not possible I walk thru briskly and will put put a hand to my nose and mouth

Why? Because it is too smoky not to

No need to wave hands as hands are better utilized over mouth and nose

I am really having trouble thinking that you or any normal thinking human would actually feel the smoker has the right to infringe on the non smoking side because it will be a few minutes until the smoking side is cleaned. Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Apparently yes the "non-smoking" side can be turned temporarily into a "smoking" area if the folks in authority..I.E. NCL Crewmembers deem it so. Personally its not my circus, not my monkeys.

I think everyone agrees that NCL determines where the smoking and non-smoking areas are, and in your case, the crew member moved the smoking section from the inaccessible side to the accessible side. You were not in the no smoking area, you were in the new, albeit temporary smoking area. So no harm on your part or the crew member's part. No puppies were killed in the making of the new smoking area.

I like you :)

Actually a letter/email/posting campaign has persuaded the Powers that be at Carnival to make changes to their smoking sections and perhaps change the rules about e-cig use. We are still waiting to hear the formal announcement at what is being done but enough smokers complained to at least make them look at the issue

Apparently yes the "non-smoking" side can be turned temporarily into a "smoking" area if the folks in authority..I.E. NCL Crewmembers deem it so. Personally its not my circus, not my monkeys.

Then if a non smoker were sitting there it should certainly revert back to non smoking

Or do you actually think that would be wrong?

I agree. It is trending.

Just today one of our suburb cities, Frisco, Texas announced a new smoking ban in all public parks.

Things will continue to become more and more restrictive.

I am in liberal Massachusetts and the cape cod beach has a big no smoking sign on it.

Then if a non smoker were sitting there it should certainly revert back to non smoking

Yes it should revert back to non-smoking when the crew has finished cleaning and tells the smoker to go back to other side

Then now is the time to call and write and complain about the new policy and see if they will change it. I'm sure if the majority of complaints they get about the new policy are smokers wanting to change it back, they will change it back.

I have written to both lines and hope that others will follow suit. But again, it is what it is and I have adjusted my travel plans accordingly. I am disappointed that I won't be cruising anytime soon, but that's just how it goes. I want to be able to relax on my vacation and if that involves smoking a cigarette outside then I will make sure the place I vacation allows that. If it's not a balcony on a ship, then it will be a balcony at an all inclusive resort. Whatever works, right?

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys their well deserved vacations, whatever they may be!

Except that the Unlimited Beverage Package has been around for a very long time prior to the roll-out of the "no smoking" ban, and really, if you're just in it for the booze, it's much cheaper to add on the UBP alone rather than bother with the expense of all the other "extras."

I don't think the UBP purchasers are on a cruise just for the booze. I think they are the really big money spenders on the ship and that 80-95% of them are also smokers. The AI pkg only targets this group and it's a great deal for them if they were planning on purchasing some of the other items as well. The AI pkg is a terrible for anyone who is not a heavy drinker. Perhaps there is no connection and NCL only offered to make it easier for the cruiser to have one stop shopping but if that is the case they would at least include kids and allow them some sort of AI package too.

I have written to both lines and hope that others will follow suit. But again, it is what it is and I have adjusted my travel plans accordingly. I am disappointed that I won't be cruising anytime soon, but that's just how it goes. I want to be able to relax on my vacation and if that involves smoking a cigarette outside then I will make sure the place I vacation allows that. If it's not a balcony on a ship, then it will be a balcony at an all inclusive resort. Whatever works, right?

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys their well deserved vacations, whatever they may be!

I hope you also enjoy all your vacatiions, whether they be on land or sea.

I don't think anyone wants "special" treatment because they are a smoker. I think it is more along the lines of "equal" treatment.

I am allergic to heavy perfumes - should I attempt to have them banned or should I simply walk away? The logical response is, walk away. This too could be considered a health threat but it is simply silly to ask a cruise line to ban such a thing. It is called TOLERANCE of others.

As much as we all like to consider the cruise OUR vacation, the vacation also belongs thousands of others as well.

Everyone has "equal treatment". We all have to follow the same rules. One of those rules happens to be where you are allowed to smoke. That rule is the same for me as it is for you.

Everyone has "equal treatment". We all have to follow the same rules. One of those rules happens to be where you are allowed to smoke. That rule is the same for me as it is for you.

Not true. The desires of one group of passengers is being given more weight than the desires of another group.

Sort of like the lines no longer serving meat to accommodate vegans. Each group should have the ability to eat as they please without excluding the other.

A small block of balcony cabins designated for smoking could accomplish that instead an all out ban.

I hope you also enjoy all your vacatiions, whether they be on land or sea.

Thank you, and I hope the same for you. I am really excited about crossing the pond! I had hoped to do so on a ship to see more, but it is what it is. We will now concentrate on one country at a time and make use of the wonderful train system!

Not true. The desires of one group of passengers is being given more weight than the desires of another group.

Sort of like the lines no longer serving meat to accommodate vegans. Each group should have the ability to eat as they please without excluding the other.

A small block of balcony cabins designated for smoking could accomplish that instead an all out ban.

I would say that it is equal. The rules are the rules. we equally have to follow them. I like to swim in the pool nude and I know a lot of nudists do as well but those pesky clothes wearers are stopping us. I like to get up at 5am and put my stuff on 4 lounge chairs and them have them reserved all day but those pesky people against chogs stop me. I like to wear my speedos in the MDR at dinner (except formal night where I wear my top hat) but the majority of the people stop me there too.

its all how you look at it. since this affects you, you think that its not equal but in reality NCL will make any rules they feel will help their brand and we are all equal in following it

Following your logic nudest should be allowed to wander the ship without clothes on because their "desire" to be nude should be accomodated :rolleyes:. You can't give into everyones "desires". Can you imagine a world in which everyone were allowed to do exactly as they please? Chaos would rule the world and I can tell you I wouldn't want to live there. The cruiselines are going to set rules to please the vast majority of their customers. They are following the trend that is happening throughout the world when it comes to limiting smoking for the greater good of all people. They can't please everyone. But that is life.

You are coming out to be in the minority on this. But it is your choice to smoke. You choose to be in that minority. You are not forced to smoke...you choose to. And don't blame it on addiction. If you wanted it bad enough you could stop. The cruiselines are not banning you from smoking. They are limiting the areas where you can smoke for convenience and health of the majority of their passengers. They are not banning you from anywhere on the ship. You have equal access to everything I do. You have the ability to go out and enjoy your balcony exactly as I do. Your rules are the same as my rules. I just choose not to smoke.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Then it also stands to reason that if a non smoker wanted to sit there at the same time that the area would revert back to non smoking

Oh and just to remind everyone yet again. I am upset at the smoking ban on the balconies

I prefer smokers to stay on their balconies to smoke because I never book one and believe smokers should be segregated although I do worry about the inconsiderate smokers who flick the butts off the balcony

Also apologizes to the non smokers who want a balcony for my opinion on this

Nope, you're wrong again. NCL makes the rules, not you, not non-smokers, not smokers. If NCL decides a certain area will be a smoking area, it WILL BE a smoking area until NCL changes it back. You have NO SAY in what NCL does at all.

Of course that would be wrong. Passengers don't make the determination of what is a smoking or non-smoking area, NCL does. So passengers can't change a smoking area into a non-smoking area any more than passengers can change a non-smoking area into a smoking area. Does this logic defy your grasp?

Didn't feel like checking into a HAL cruise? Granted, their cruisers are mostly older but my family enjoyed a cruise on the Veendam several years ago. Kids were 12 and 14 at the time and they had a blast.