Self-Disembark

We are leaving on FOS on August 2 and I have a question about the last day...I know people can hold their luggage and take it off the boat themselves. In order to do this do you have to get off the boat at 630/645 when they call for the self-disembark or can you leave a little later? I will have my two young kids with me so I would rather keep the luggage just in case but I am not sure we could get off the ship by 645...TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are leaving on FOS on August 2 and I have a question about the last day...I know people can hold their luggage and take it off the boat themselves. In order to do this do you have to get off the boat at 630/645 when they call for the self-disembark or can you leave a little later? I will have my two young kids with me so I would rather keep the luggage just in case but I am not sure we could get off the ship by 645...TIA!

You can leave later if you wish.

Once the ship clears and they call the first group you can self-disembark any time you want right up to when the last numbered group leaves.

In my own experience you can disembark any time you want no matter what, even if your luggage has been taken off for you. However it helps to have a tag number close to when you want to leave so you don't arrive in the terminal ahead of your luggage, or your luggage isn't sitting by itself in the terminal looking abandoned (just ask your SA or customer service for different numbers).

Yes you can leave anytime after your number is called. You should be aware though self debarkation is not what it was when it started. There are so many passengers using it they are now assigning number groups so the elevators and terminals don't get clogged.

On some of our cruises self-debarkation significantly delayed others from leaving the ship early. On one of our cruises there were 5 slots! I'm probably starting a controversy here but self-debarkation should NOT get all of the early slots. My flight time is just as important as yours. (not you personally OP) I'm just old enough that I don't want to wrestle all of my luggage out of my cabin, wait 15 minutes for an elevator that's already not full of luggage, navigate to the ramp, down the escalators and off to customs.

There are lots of reasons for self-debarkations that don't require you to get off the ship early. The OP is a great example. Yet RCI holds up other passengers assuming these people want to get off of the ship first. I have seen other posts where passengers have taken early slots left the ship at their leisure. Sorry to hi-jack your thread OP my rant is not directed at you just another one of RCI's misguided policies.

Just be advised if you cannot hold onto the railing on the escalator in the terminal with one hand and the luggage with the other, they will make you take the elevator. The line for the elevator gets very long. If you are trying to hold kids hands and pull luggage, it probably won't work.

Just be advised if you cannot hold onto the railing on the escalator in the terminal with one hand and the luggage with the other, they will make you take the elevator. The line for the elevator gets very long. If you are trying to hold kids hands and pull luggage, it probably won't work.

Is that a new policy at all ports? It's different from my prior experience. Is there a staircase nearby if not allowed on escalator and do NOT want to wait in a line for elevator?

Is that a new policy at all ports? It's different from my prior experience. Is there a staircase nearby if not allowed on escalator and do NOT want to wait in a line for elevator?

It's a port policy, not a cruise line policy, and may be different port to port. I've seen it enforced at Port Canaveral.

I do not know if it is at all ports but definitely at Port Canaveral. There is someone standing at the top of the escalator who will not let you on if you can't hold on.

I will never self-disembark again. Seemed like a great idea...we were told to go to a special lounge to await our turn...which came very quickly..then we had to take our luggage down 2 sets of stairs! It was not an easy process and there was really no benefit to it, other than getting off the ship a bit earlier than usual. To be honest, I don't mind sitting in a comfortable lounge until our color is called and pick up the luggage in the terminal. It has always been waiting for us when we arrive.

Thanks so much for all the information everyone...the last part about holding onto the escalator and the luggage is an interesting policy that I was unaware of. We will be traveling with my parents who probably won't keep their luggage so hopefully that will free up some hands to help with the kids. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for all the information everyone...the last part about holding onto the escalator and the luggage is an interesting policy that I was unaware of. We will be traveling with my parents who probably won't keep their luggage so hopefully that will free up some hands to help with the kids. Thanks again!

Might as well just send all the luggage through if you are going to have to wait for your parents luggage. You can request the same time to get off the ship. If for some reason you don't get the same number, you can just go to guest relations and have it changed.

I don't quite understand this. Most people don't hold on to an escalator with both hands. So what's the issue with one holding on to that and the other holding the bag? Its done at airports all the time.

We're in the same boat (no pun intended). I want to walk off with my bag rather than leaving it out the night before. I'm in no hurry to get off, that isn't the reason for doing it. I just don't want it out the night before so I'm happy to take it off myself the next morning, whatever time that ends up being.

We did the self disembark a few weeks ago and for us it was soooo easy. We showered, packed and headed to breakfast in the dining room. We had asked our cabin steward when we would need to have our luggage out of the room - he said 8:30. (Not sure if that is an official time or a good time for him, but it worked for us.) At 8AM we headed back to the room - wheeled our bags out and got the second elevator. We had two adults and two older teens - each with a rolling bag and a shoulder (small) bag. We got in the line and it went very fast - through one lounge, out the other side and then outside. We were in our car by 8:30, surprised how simple it had been. I will say - my husband and I took the two largest bags and it was a little nerve-wracking on the escalator. It did feel like the bags were going to push us right down. So make sure you are strong enough to win a battle with your bag. We didn't have any problem, but I did get "the look" from my husband when he got on.

I do think it should be for adults and older kids. If you are trying to handle bags and watch little kids, it would break the flow. When we got off - everyone was moving like clock work. I didn't see anyone dis-embarking that couldn't handle their bags or that held things up. So it seemed almost like a textbook exit.

Might as well just send all the luggage through if you are going to have to wait for your parents luggage. You can request the same time to get off the ship. If for some reason you don't get the same number, you can just go to guest relations and have it changed.

I am not worried about waiting for the luggage...I just wanted to keep ours incase something happened with the kids and we needed extra clothes or something. You just never know with a 2 and 5 year old....

I don't quite understand this. Most people don't hold on to an escalator with both hands. So what's the issue with one holding on to that and the other holding the bag? Its done at airports all the time.

We're in the same boat (no pun intended). I want to walk off with my bag rather than leaving it out the night before. I'm in no hurry to get off, that isn't the reason for doing it. I just don't want it out the night before so I'm happy to take it off myself the next morning, whatever time that ends up being.

You misread the post, you don't need to hold on with both hands.

The issue is the OP has little kids and wants to pull off luggage too. They won't have enough hands to have on on railing, one holding a little kids hand and one on the luggage.

I am not worried about waiting for the luggage...I just wanted to keep ours incase something happened with the kids and we needed extra clothes or something. You just never know with a 2 and 5 year old....

Totally understand what you mean about little kids. You are going to have to save a carry on at least for your own toiletries, pjs, electronics, jewelry and valuables so you could keep an extra set of clothes or three for the little ones too. I would just send through the majority of the luggage and keep what I need for the possible spills. Plus, if you have a little one in a stroller, you will be sent to the elevator too.

Good luck with whatever works out best for you.:)

We were on the Freedom this month. One of the assistant cruise directors discouraged leaving bags in the hallway and suggested self-disembarkation before 9:30.

Now, we had done Luggage Valet, but I saw why he suggested leaving the ship with your bags. The baggage claim in Port Canaveral is tiny. With 3500 people leaving the ship, it takes some time, just to get down to the baggage claim.

The asst. cruise director said that it isn't uncommon for people to get to the baggage claim 30 minutes ahead of their bags.

When we got off the Freedom, there was a Port authority person reminding everyone to keep three steps between each person. Clearly, she hasn't been to Union Station in Chicago during the morning or evening rush.

I will never self-disembark again. Seemed like a great idea...we were told to go to a special lounge to await our turn...which came very quickly..then we had to take our luggage down 2 sets of stairs!

I should have mentioned, if you plan to self disembark and end up having to wait, try and find a place to wait that is on the same level as the gangway. This is easier on some ships than others. If you can't do that, go up to one of the higher decks so you are the first one on the elevator and don't have to battle for space with everyone else and their luggage.