Summit cruise- July 6th

stevetod

Just thought I would send out a quick review of our cruise of July 6th on the Summit.

Let me begin by saying this was the 3rd year in a row my wife and I sailed this cruise. Since we live in Staten Island in less than 20 minutes I am parked at the port. Sure beats flying to a ship. We have always found the service to be first rate. I am an easy going person who frequently chats with the service staff to get to know them. I think they like the conversation for the most part. We booked Aqua class and thus dined in BLU. Overall it was a step above the dining room. Never had to wait for a table at breakfast or dinner although we did eat dinner around 8:00 pm each night. Quality of the food and the service was very good. Friday night ( 2nd formal night was Lobster tail in a unique tangerine light sauce which was great. I know because I wound up having four of them. Each one was 5-6 ounces. By the way the BLU was split down the middle on formal night. Half the people dressed up and half did not.

Entertainment was up and down. Since we were on the ship last year the production shows were the same three again. Highlight of the trip was the Tenors of Rock, a group of singers from the U.K. Michele Balan was the comic and the late night show was much better than her previous regular time show earlier in the week. I must say the Captain lived up to the postings of him being funny. He was and more.

The big thing was we have seven sunny days with no rain and calm seas.

So we were lucky.

Steve

I did go to the buffet one afternoon while in Bermuda and for the most part I thought the changes were fine. When it comes to food and presentation it's always a touchy subject. What one person thinks is good another person does not. My opinion was the food was fine and the new setup was fine also. I did notice the buffet line moved a bit faster except for the pasta station since they make it quick on the spot. The pizza was pretty good ( not NY Brooklyn pizza but good except as others have noted they just had a hard time keeping up with the demand.

Thanks for your review. A few questions:

Were you on Deck 9 or 11 in your AQ cabin? We're leaving in 11 days and sailing in the new cabins on 11 aft. I've read about some plumbing issues -- any problems?

If on Deck 11, how was the cabin steward? Also heard mixed results there.

Were you shuttled to Blu at embarkation for brunch? If so, how was it?

Did you notice any other changes or anything that they were testing out on the Summit? Lots of reports about the buffet, new menu in Bistro on 5, etc.

Thanks!

We were actually on deck 9. Cabin was fine and the attendant did his job well. Ran into one couple who were on deck 11 in Aqua and they said they were very happy with their selection. We booked late ( memorial weekend for July 6th ) so we got the resident rate which I could not pass on. When we checked in at the port they gave us a card inviting us to dine at BLU for the brunch which we took advantage of. It was much better than fighting the crowds at the buffet. The other choice would be Bistro on 5 which went up a little to 7.00 per person. We ate there one day since we slept in late and the crepes are very good. Ordered a cowboy crepe which is steak and carmelized onions in a crepe. Then ordered the Italian crepe which is nutella, bananas. Very light and good. All for 7.00 per person.

Steve

There were some complaints in the beginning, but it seems to be mostly positive comments lately. Thanks, I can't wait to check it out.

I was on the July 6 cruise as well. I was impressed with the new serving dishes on embarkation day but my enthusiasm waned during the cruise. On the first day there was a surge of people in the Oceanview who took the food when it was fresh and as fast as staff could put it out. However, on days when the food sat for awhile the food dried out, became soggy and lost much of its taste. I know this system works well at the buffets in Las Vegas but I'm not convinced that the same positive experience will work on cruise ships.

Edited by Wg8221

Just thought I would send out a quick review of our cruise of July 6th on the Summit.

Let me begin by saying this was the 3rd year in a row my wife and I sailed this cruise. Since we live in Staten Island in less than 20 minutes I am parked at the port. Sure beats flying to a ship. We have always found the service to be first rate. I am an easy going person who frequently chats with the service staff to get to know them. I think they like the conversation for the most part. We booked Aqua class and thus dined in BLU. Overall it was a step above the dining room. Never had to wait for a table at breakfast or dinner although we did eat dinner around 8:00 pm each night. Quality of the food and the service was very good. Friday night ( 2nd formal night was Lobster tail in a unique tangerine light sauce which was great. I know because I wound up having four of them. Each one was 5-6 ounces. By the way the BLU was split down the middle on formal night. Half the people dressed up and half did not.

Entertainment was up and down. Since we were on the ship last year the production shows were the same three again. Highlight of the trip was the Tenors of Rock, a group of singers from the U.K. Michele Balan was the comic and the late night show was much better than her previous regular time show earlier in the week. I must say the Captain lived up to the postings of him being funny. He was and more.

The big thing was we have seven sunny days with no rain and calm seas.

So we were lucky.

Steve

We sailed in May and the captain was the best ever, hands down… Do you know when he is leaving fro vacation.. Were sailing in September and hoping he'll still be around… Somehow, I doubt it though..

I was on the July 6 cruise as well. I was impressed with the new serving dishes on embarkation day but my enthusiasm waned during the cruise. On the first day there was a surge of people in the Oceanview who took the food when it was fresh and as fast as staff could put it out. However, on days when the food sat for awhile the food dried out, became soggy and lost much of its taste. I know this system works well at the buffets in Las Vegas but I'm not convinced that the same positive experience will work on cruise ships.

Ugg.. So sorry to hear that, we sailed in May and did't like the buffet one bit. Since were sailing again in Sept. for a 14 day, we were hoping for a big improvement… I loved the ship and love Celebrity but the buffet, not so much!

Ugg.. So sorry to hear that, we sailed in May and did't like the buffet one bit. Since were sailing again in Sept. for a 14 day, we were hoping for a big improvement… I loved the ship and love Celebrity but the buffet, not so much!

Someone mentioned on another board that the Sunset Bar was no smoking on the Constllation on his cruise. Do you know if smoking has been banned at the Sunset Bar on the Summit? I am hoping this policy carries throughout the M class ships since it is a very small space and the smoke drifts. We have never been able to enjoy this venue because of the smoke problem.

Did you by chance ask for new food to replace the soggy food that was being served. I'd be interested in knowing their reaction, did they make fresh for you, because I hate soggy food. I'm really excited to see the new set up. It seems like the most like the new serving dishes. Sorry you had a disappointing experience, it seems as though some like it and other don't....I guess it is just personal preferences that will dictate if one likes it or not. Since I enjoy breakfast and sometimes lunch in the buffet, I hope I have a positive experience and no soggy food LOL.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I was also on the July 6th cruise. Ate at Bistro on 5 the first day and it was great. The Captain was very funny I thought he was better then the comedian. The Tenors of Rock show was the best show I have seen on any of my 8 cruises on any line. Food in the dinning room was also very good and hot. Never more then a 15 minute wait for a table at 6:30 My only complaint was the lack of things to do during the day on the ship. Did see a movie the last day in Bermuda that was shown in the theater. Overall a very nice cruise.

I was also on the July 6th cruise. Ate at Bistro on 5 the first day and it was great. The Captain was very funny I thought he was better then the comedian. The Tenors of Rock show was the best show I have seen on any of my 8 cruises on any line. Food in the dinning room was also very good and hot. Never more then a 15 minute wait for a table at 6:30 My only complaint was the lack of things to do during the day on the ship. Did see a movie the last day in Bermuda that was shown in the theater. Overall a very nice cruise.

Agree, the captain was funnier than the comedian! Loved him.

Was reading another review about the buffet on the Summit and they said: If you have not heard – the new ‘concept’ is that all food is now individually portioned in small silver pans, dishes. This reviewer was on the June 29th sailing.

Now, I'm confused. Some are saying there are options that are not in individually pans, etc., and some are saying all food is served in them, with the exception of the salad bar. What is the real deal?

Was reading another review about the buffet on the Summit and they said: If you have not heard – the new ‘concept’ is that all food is now individually portioned in small silver pans, dishes. This reviewer was on the June 29th sailing.

Now, I'm confused. Some are saying there are options that are not in individually pans, etc., and some are saying all food is served in them, with the exception of the salad bar. What is the real deal?

We were on the June 8th sailing and the new portion system was in place for many items but not all. With the complaints before and since I'd be surprised if X increased the number of items served that way...:eek:

Our problem with the basket format was,

1) they often paired items together in the same container - but sometimes an odd pairing; both DW and I ended up leaving the odd items in the container. I saw lots of waste that way.

2) Breakfast items, particularly eggs, waffles, French toast, etc., don't stay warm when left in the little dishes/baskets. I'm guessing that those who say everything stays warm have been very lucky. I actually saw some folks waiting until fresh/warm baskets were put out.:rolleyes:

I'll be very surprised if X doesn't drastically modify or drop this system before long.

Edited by jdarch

Someone mentioned on another board that the Sunset Bar was no smoking on the Constllation on his cruise. Do you know if smoking has been banned at the Sunset Bar on the Summit? I am hoping this policy carries throughout the M class ships since it is a very small space and the smoke drifts. We have never been able to enjoy this venue because of the smoke problem.

We were on the July 13th sailing of the Summit and smoking was allowed on the PORT side of the Sunset Bar. To be honest, it never bothered us on the STARBOARD side... nor when we sat directly at the bar. That bar is a great venue!

We were on the June 8th sailing and the new portion system was in place for many items but not all. With the complaints before and since I'd be surprised if X increased the number of items served that way...:eek:

Our problem with the basket format was,

1) they often paired items together in the same container - but sometimes an odd pairing; both DW and I ended up leaving the odd items in the container. I saw lots of waste that way.

2) Breakfast items, particularly eggs, waffles, French toast, etc., don't stay warm when left in the little dishes/baskets. I'm guessing that those who say everything stays warm have been very lucky. I actually saw some folks waiting until fresh/warm baskets were put out.:rolleyes:

I'll be very surprised if X doesn't drastically modify or drop this system before long.

Thanks, I never heard anyone say all the food was in the baskets until I read this one review. Glad to know it is not true and that there are choices.

I know at Caesar's buffet the items in the baskets stay very hot, but probably because their buffet was built to accomodate these types of vessels. Hopefully, Celebrity will figure out how to keep the food hot.