Help picking a budget cabin for QM2 crossing

curiouser123

Hello,

It looks like I may finally get to go on a QM2 Transatlantic. However, on the date we can go (Summer 2015), availability is already limited. We have 3 kids, so we have to get 2 cabins for our family of 5. We have a choice between a 5th floor ocean view at the front of the ship and connecting interior cabins on the 11th floor. We also considered side by side obstructed balconies on the 8th floor but they are quite a bit more since we have to get 2 cabins. I looked for an interior across from a balcony or ocean view but couldn't find one. Thoughts? Thanks.

There are no inside cabins on the deck with obstructed balconies. But there are inside cabins across from ocean view and balcony cabins on decks 4, 5, and 6. These balconies are "sheltered balconies," and I think these are currently more expensive than the obstructed balconies. (They keep changing the cabin grades, so I'm not sure about the price difference) But one balcony and one inside might sort of average out on price.

The website is clunky, but if you start a booking, you can choose a cabin grade and see what's available. At that point, you can enter specific cabin numbers to check on their availability. You might be able to find a pair of cabins across the hall from each other that way.

Hello,

I looked for an interior across from a balcony or ocean view but couldn't find one. Thoughts? Thanks.

This seems the best option, - maybe your shud call Cunard to see what is available.

I wouldn't rely on the website to see available cabins, as they only show a few at a time. If you call and explain your situation, the Cunard representative should be available to find cabins that meet your needs, possibly adjoining ocean view or sheltered balcony cabins. We liked our deck 5 sheltered balcony cabin in 2012, and think the lower deck cabins are just fine: less movement if you are prone to seasickness and usable even if the weather is not so great. We were in a forward cabin, and felt hardly any movement; we'll be in an aft cabin sheltered balcony on deck 4 for our upcoming (October) westbound transatlantic.

Ann

Thank you for your helpful responses. I actually used Expedia over Cunard's website because they have a little flashing light in available cabins instead of having to type in and hope a cabin is available. A phone call is probably in order, though.

Since you are selecting cabins because of the location, you may want to have both cabins marked "No Upgrade" so that neither cabin is changed to another location. Another thing to consider is that crossings can be foggy and not really "Balcony weather". Having connecting inside cabins might be a good choice. I hope you have a wonderful crossing no matter which cabin you choose.

Hello,

It looks like I may finally get to go on a QM2 Transatlantic. However, on the date we can go (Summer 2015), availability is already limited. We have 3 kids, so we have to get 2 cabins for our family of 5. We have a choice between a 5th floor ocean view at the front of the ship and connecting interior cabins on the 11th floor. We also considered side by side obstructed balconies on the 8th floor but they are quite a bit more since we have to get 2 cabins. I looked for an interior across from a balcony or ocean view but couldn't find one. Thoughts? Thanks.

Hi curiouser cruise. Given the choices you presented, my choice (for what's its worth) would be to go with connecting interior cabins on Deck 11.

Here's why that would be my choice:

-Interior cabins are not only more economical, but also safer for young children, and less stress for parents with concerns about children climbing on the balcony when their attention is diverted. It is also unlikely that anyone would enter your children's cabin without your knowing about it.

-Two adjoining interior cabins are more likely to share the same Muster Station - but confirm that is the case prior to booking.

-Deck 11 is just one stairwell away from the Pavilion Pool, a popular Ping Pong table, and the Pavillion Bar - depending on the age of your children, that might be a nice place for you all to have a pleasant time, while keeping an eye on each other, even if the weather is inclement. Of course, if the weather is nice and the Broardwalk Cafe is open, you have easy access to a very pleasant, casual lunch on Deck 12 (albeit with a limited menu). I've noticed that there are passengers of all ages who appreciate this venue because of the very casual atmosphere while being on an open deck.

-Without question, if you walk up one deck to Deck 12, your view will be so much better than the view from an obstructed view balcony on Deck 8.

You didn't mention the age of your children, so my suggestions are more generic than age-specific.

Whatever accommodations you chose, I wish you and your family a very happy voyage. Regards, -S

Edited by Salacia

There is no possible way that the cabins for a summer 2015 trip are limited in availability. As has been said Cunard release a few and hold back a few, it's a regular thing and is done to panic people into buying. Call Cunard and discuss your needs with them. Two oceanview cabins would be good and they are much larger than "normal" cabins because of their shapes.

There is no possible way that the cabins for a summer 2015 trip are limited in availability. As has been said Cunard release a few and hold back a few, it's a regular thing and is done to panic people into buying. Call Cunard and discuss your needs with them. Two oceanview cabins would be good and they are much larger than "normal" cabins because of their shapes.

It's definitely an effective strategy because I was panicking! Thanks!

There will be sufficient opportunities to look at the ocean and go outdoors without the expense of a balcony cabin. DH and I have traveled very happily on the QM2 in inside cabins. Depending on the age of your children and their needs for parental supervision, I think side-by-side cabins with an adjoining door could make very good sense and be the best choice.

It is probably a matter of personal preference, but DH and I choose mid-ship locations first and, if mid-ship isn't available, more towards the stern than toward the bow…. I feel more of a "roll movement" toward the bow, which I don't enjoy. Ditto with choosing a cabin on a lower, instead of higher, deck...

What a wonderful experience your family will have! Have a great voyage!

Hello,

Have you thought about inside cabins a lot cheaper, When we did our first trans.atlantic on the QE2 our travel agent why have a balcony cabin when all you can see is water and the atlantic you can never say what the weather will be like,we have done a few crossing the last one being a roundtrip on the 5th june, and always an inside cabin, no trouble at all.:)

Edited by luckymal

One thing I can tell you for sure, it’s better to have the three people in the inside cabin as opposed to one of the balcony cabins. It seems that only the inside cabins have upper beds that fold down and don’t take away from floor space. Last summer three of my friends booked an obstructed view cabin and the third bed was by way of the fold out sofa and once that was opened up it was impossible to walk around the cabin. So, I would request an inside that has upper fold down bunks, which you may have to specify.

Edited by sfo-john

We have the opportunity to do the 12 night sailing on the QM ay a crazy low price. The only issue is that it would be in the obstructed view balcony's on deck 8. How bad are they?