Future cruise deposit denied

I am not sure if Royal is the same as Celebrity but when booking in a group you can use your FCC but still have to make the entire deposit. They will deduct the worth of the certificate from the total deposit due.

That's true for Royal, the full deposit must be paid for a booking to go into a group.

That's true for Royal, the full deposit must be paid for a booking to go into a group.

Had that occur. Was a weekend, great price on a cruise popped up, and wanted to book a cruise using a Next Cruise certificate. Our regular TA was not in the office and used another. Our regular TA knew how to circumvent this, but not this guy. :p Not a big deal. Still would have to pay anyway; just surprising. Figure not all TA's are created equal. ;)

I don't understand the reasoning behind this decision, either. It would seem to me that they interest the earned sitting on millions of deposits for a year, give or take, would more than offset the onboard credit that would be used toward purchases many would not otherwise make. Must be new accountants making recommendations. Or they no longer need that income.

Edited by spiritkat090909

Thanks all for your comments. We called RCCL ourselves trying to get an answer. We were referred up the ladder for an answer and was told it was because it was "Friend and Family" pricing, which one of you mentioned.

Also, point well taken, the $100. deposit is for a lower total deposit on a cruise far out and no value for a cruise 10 days out where you must pay the full amount.

We didn't think about telling them to forget the $25. OBC, just credit me the $100. Anyway, the next cruise is now 7 days out and we will bring the certificate with us and discuss it on board. We plan to book our next cruise on board this time.

We have been using the same TA for at least the last 20 cruises so he does all he can for us.

I'm still trying to reason why they won't give you the $100. credit on a low fare because you have paid it. Could it be because that $100. stays with RCCL and the ship doesn't get credit for it as income.

Augie