A1 Aft vs XC on Summit

e39m5

Just managed to snag a hold on an Aft A1 (1133) for a last minute cruise.

Trying to decide between keeping it, or switching category XC + 5 specialty dinners for the same price - the thought being that 5 specialty dinners would be comparable to dining in Blu.

Mind looking over my pro/con list to see if I'm thinking about this right?

A1 Pros:

Aft Balcony (never done that)

Nicer Breakfast

A1 Cons:

Less Privacy

Smoking from deck below

XC + 5 Specialty Dinners Pros:

More Privacy (Can I assume this?)

Dining diversity

XC Cons:

Unknown location

Anything glaring I'm missing?

Thanks

The only possible con I see to 1133 is the smoking area below. We were in 1140 (the center cabin) last year on the Infinity and never noticed the smoke at all. I think I'm right that there are only two specialty restaurants, Qsine and Normandie so you'd have to like both of those pretty well. Unlike Blu, their menus remain the same from one evening to the next. Personally, I'd take 1133. As a matter of fact, we'll be in 1130 on the Summit in October.

I would take the A1 in a heartbeat. We sailed in our first Aft cabin (C1) in April and are sailing in an A1 in just over a week.

I've never tried Blu before but I hear great things. If there were more variety in terms of the specialty restaurants on the Summit I may feel differently, but I honestly wouldn't want to do Normandie and Qsine for 5 nights. One night each, sure. And I would only want to do Qsine in a larger group - easier to sample all the foods without getting overstuffed. Now, if it were the Constellation with Tuscan Grill, I might go for that. And if it were S Class with all of the specialties, I would do that in a second.

As for the C cabins, chances are you aren't going to snag a C1, so your cabin and balcony will be roughly the same as a standard balcony.

For me personally, I would go A1.

What do you mean by "less privacy" as a con for this aft A1? If you are referring to the potential for someone in the sports court area above to see you on your balcony? From comments I have read, there is little activity up there and you most likely would not notice. There is a small overhang for your balcony that does provide some shade from the sun and some privacy from above. IF you are concerned, go and check it out for yourself once on board.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Cool - thanks for the insight. I wasn't thinking about Blu having a different menu each night, definitely a bit of a gamechanger.

Re: Privacy - More talking about the bar below. 1133/1130 (the far side ones) seem pretty exposed. Relative to port/starboard balconies I think they're less private:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=33667810#post33667810

Cool - thanks for the insight. I wasn't thinking about Blu having a different menu each night, definitely a bit of a gamechanger.

Re: Privacy - More talking about the bar below. 1133/1130 (the far side ones) seem pretty exposed. Relative to port/starboard balconies I think they're less private:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=33667810#post33667810

I would take the aft since you have never sailed there, IF you plan to use your balcony. We have sailed 3 times on stern cabins, all 3 on 15 day sailings with 4-5 sea days, so for us easy choice. If you are port intensive, your opportunities for wake viewing are much less. Otherwise, you can walk to to stern of ship, enjoy the wake and also enjoy the restaurants.

Wishing you a GREAT cruise! :)

We have had aft and blu before. Both are better than specialty restaurant every day. I like breakfasts in Blu. I love location of aft cabins with regard to elevators in M class. It is very convenient. Very private.

Another negative for Specialty restaurants is wine is more expensive and limited but not important for some.

Do not fret too much, you cannot make a wrong decision. Both are great. We are cutting hairs here.

We have been in 1130 and loved it. I agree that there might be a little problem with smoke in 1133, but I would still go for it. Great big balcony, and AQ is wonderful. As for privacy, the issue is from below the cabin, not above. It didn't bother us.