The Cruise tv series

chromered7

It's an entertainment programme not a documentary.

I like watching rubbish reality TV shows like Big Brother, TOWIE and "Strictly" and this one is up there with them.

I toured Royal Princess the day before the naming ceremony and was really "wowed" by it.

Personally I can't split Celebrity and Princess and will continue to sail on either without any preferences

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the last (final?) 2 episodes on the weekend and must say they were still cheese as but not as cringeworthy as the first 2 episodes. Lovely ship and the way they showed the dedication to service and 'under cover' review of the team when setting up on Princess Cay - I was suitably impressed. They have half redeemed themselves with the last 2 shows!! :D

But it seems that was the end of the season...did they can it already or is it a measly 4 episode season?? LOL made me cringe but it was about cruising after all so wanted more !!:p:eek::D

QE2 fan, I totally agree with you, still cringeworthy but the last two episodes were not as bad. We are sailing on the Royal in January, I actually sent an email to Princess telling them I really didn't enjoy the first two episodes & why, stating If I was a first time cruiser I would never choose Princess! We all know this programme was not completely representative of them though! I will post again when I hear back from them. Apparently they have to respond to all emails within 28 days:) Trish

We sailed with Princess 2 years ago on the Coral Princess through the Panama Canal, and it was a wonderful cruise, I really didn't want to get off the ship. Now if I had watched this program before I went I think I would have considered cancelling. It does Princess no favours at all. Such a shame.

Whilst we mostly cruise with Celebrity we do try other lines and have had 3 cruises with Princess. Our 3 week cruise Alaska to China was amazing. The port guide talks, general information lectures were amazing, very informative and apt for the cruise. Singers performed in lounges throughout the day - a number of sea days! So many activities organised that we had to keep a list of where next! So it is such a shame that this prog. has been broadcast. It certainly did not represent the hard working staff on the Sea and Diamond Princess ships. We would still go with Princess if we found an itinerary not covered by Celebrity but I can certainly see that many would not try Princess or even cruising.

We have sailed Princess 10 times. (Not on Royal yet.) So, we like it. The last couple of years, we have been going on one Princess and one Celebrity. I think we will continue that pattern, at least for a while. We haven't seen the television show.

We have discussed the differences between the lines at length and here is what we have decided. This is just our opinion, and we always go on a cruise determined to have fun, no matter what.

-Celebrity is just a bit nicer all around.

-We think the food on Celebrity is better. We particularly like Blu.

-The entertainment is better on Princess. We are games people and enjoy the evening games they have a lot. Celebrity has some excellent solo entertainers.

-Service is very good on both, but just a bit better on Celebrity.

- We like the International Cafe on Princess which serves sandwiches, salads, and goodies. We do like the pastries at the Celebrity coffee bar.

-Regular coffee, although not great on either one, is a bit better on Celebrity.

-The ships are quieter on Celebrity.

-We like MUTS on Princess.

-Recently, we have found the itineraries on Celebrity to be better.

-We pay a bit more for Celebrity, but think it is worth it.

I know everything is subjective, but those are our thoughts. We are American, and I am sure that affects our opinion, too. We always have a good time regardless of ship and line. We have tried to sample a few cruise lines to get an idea of what we like. DH and I are of the opinion that you can have a great time on either Princess or Celebrity.

Ohiodoglover

Thanks for the post. Always remember that there are always those, like us, who do not read this board every day of every year. Your comments, even if already repeated, are appreciated.

This thread came at the right time as I have been considering a cruise on the Royal Princess. We love Celebrity, but I personally would like some variety in the ships we cruise on. Having cruised on Eclipse and Equinox several times I feel its time for a change, or at least to switch things up from time to time.

The TV programme was rubbish. I'm actually surprised that Princess allowed it as it was just lightweight TV drivel.

Before it started I thought it was going to be some kind of fascinating insight into how a cruise ship operates on a day-to-day basis.

Doubt it will have swayed anyone who's never been on a cruise to rush down to their local TA to book one!

Agree with the contributor about the series with Jane MacDonald...what I can remember about it, it was some years ago!

The TV programme was rubbish. I'm actually surprised that Princess allowed it as it was just lightweight TV drivel.

Sadly for Princess they would not have had editorial approval over the final edit but it was lightweight and they didn't come out looking well.

Perhaps Princess are noting the old adage that 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' but I can't see this producing many new customers for Princess.

Wow, I haven't heard of this show before. A quick Google search seems to show it is on a UK channel. Anyone know if this is available in the USA and what network it is on?

Doesn't seem to be available in North America currently, but it is available directly from the ITV website for UK residents. Depending upon how interested you are, that's easy enough to achieve with a VPN and UK registration. Episode 1 will only be available for another 6 days.

I think the program is poor, and in my opinion does not make Princess cruises look very good.

Last summer we went on the Ruby Princess where Sam, the cruse director on the program was CD on the Ruby!

We loved our Princess Cruise in the Med (Venice to Athens > 6 nights) and I would not let this program put me off booking another with Princess.

I think the Program's down fall is that they put the emphasis on making it funny program with some serious bits, whereas is is should have been a serious program with a few funny bits.

If the BBC made this it would be a very different program. They'd focus on the technical and logistical challenges, internal politics and in between all that interesting stuff, we'd see plonkers like the deputy CD making a hash of the tanoy announcement! :D

My first Celebrity cruise on Reflection is 16 days away. I know I'm raising the bar but would not dismiss a Princess cruise again in the future based on that boring program.

Rob.

I sailed Princess Sapphire on a short 4 day cruise with my Children . It was their first cruise! I loved the children's program, but had mixed feeling about everything else. I thought the food and service was better on Celebrity. I am sailing on the Solstice next month with DH only, but am considering another Princess cruise with my children because of their awesome program. I wonder if I sail a newer ship like the Ruby, if I would have a better experience. Do you feel the loyalty programs for Celebrity and Princess are similar?