Views & opinions on Century and cabins and Alaska cruise

sue58

Well the weekend Celebrity sale seems to be working - I'm looking at a cruise to Alaska on the Century. Alaska was never on my wish list but this sailing from San Francisco looks good and I'd love to hear your opinions on this too - it goes on Sept 4.

I'm familiar with the M-class ships and am looking for some opinions on Century - how does it compare? I like the size of the M-class and what they offer. I've had the FV corner cabins on the M-class ships and loved them but don't expect the same wow from the Century FV's. Does anyone know about the FV aft cabins on Century? I have one on hold for deck 9 but would like to know more before I finalize anything. I get the feeling the cabins are a bit smaller and maybe the layout is a bit awkward?

I appreciate any help and insight you can give.

Well the weekend Celebrity sale seems to be working - I'm looking at a cruise to Alaska on the Century. Alaska was never on my wish list but this sailing from San Francisco looks good and I'd love to hear your opinions on this too - it goes on Sept 4.

I'm familiar with the M-class ships and am looking for some opinions on Century - how does it compare? I like the size of the M-class and what they offer. I've had the FV corner cabins on the M-class ships and loved them but don't expect the same wow from the Century FV's. Does anyone know about the FV aft cabins on Century? I have one on hold for deck 9 but would like to know more before I finalize anything. I get the feeling the cabins are a bit smaller and maybe the layout is a bit awkward?

Hi,:) I have sailed Century numerous times as well as all the M class

ships. I love Century but you will probably be getting replies from folks

who would not recommend her too.

We all have different likes, dislikes, etc.

Century is definitely smaller than the M class.......she is the oldest

ship in the fleet and will be leaving Celebrity in 2015:(

She has her own layout and style. She only has 1 Specialty Restaurant

(MURANO). The "Grand" Dining room is (in my opinion) one of the most

beautiful in the fleet.

I can't help you with the cabin question.....maybe someone who has

stayed in the family veranda will give you an answer:)

I most recently sailed her in February for 11 nights and I was hoping

to have been able to do Alaska this summer to get one more cruise in

on her but just wasn't possible. She was my first cruise with Celebrity

back in 2003 and I really love her:)..........hope you decide to book

and have a wonderful cruise:D

Thanks Lois. :)

I am reading as many threads as I can find about the Century. As with all ships there seem to be pros and cons but the pro side seems to be ahead.

I'm hoping to be able to get enough information to make a decision while the sale is still on but if not I'll take my chances and see what happens over the next few weeks. It's always a bit of a scramble to figure out flights, hotels and other details when these sales come up.

Thanks Lois. :)

I am reading as many threads as I can find about the Century. As with all ships there seem to be pros and cons but the pro side seems to be ahead.

I'm hoping to be able to get enough information to make a decision while the sale is still on but if not I'll take my chances and see what happens over the next few weeks. It's always a bit of a scramble to figure out flights, hotels and other details when these sales come up.

So true......about both topics;)

And I was just in Toronto visiting family for 4 nights....had a good time:)

but it was certainly different than taking a cruise!

I have to say though, you have some AWESOME restaurants:D

Edited by Lois R

Sue58 -- my DH and I have cruised on Century a few times (but not as much as Lois ;)). She is one of my favorite ships, and usually has a great crew. But personally, I might think twice about booking her to Alaska. Since her last retrofit ('06?), Century has no solarium, and no indoor pool. Late season Alaska cruising tends to be too cold for use of the outdoor pools and hot tubs. When we cruised to Hawaii on Century ('12), we only had one day that wasn't too cold/windy to use the outdoor pool. I really missed having a solarium and T-pool, on that cruise! :(

But then, if you're not a "pool person", this wouldn't be an issue for you. :cool:

I sailed on the Century in February and was in a FV cabin on deck 9 (9245). While I enjoyed the ship, I would never book the FV cabin again. One of my major issues was the way the bed is located in the cabin. One side of the bed is against a wall (the bed faces toward the veranda, rather than perpendicular to it). Thus if there are two people, the one on the inside would have to climb over the other to get out of bed. Also there is no bedside table which for me was a huge problem. The veranda was large and quite nice. The cabin was very noisy (there was an exit door nearby that had stairs up to deck 10), and the engine noise woke me very early each morning as we went into port. I have no issue with the ship, just with the aft cabins.

Carolyn

I have to say though, you have some AWESOME restaurants:D

Agree with you on the restaurant choices. Toronto is such a multicultural city we have so many different foods available as well as restaurants at all different price points. :)

But personally, I might think twice about booking her to Alaska. Since her last retrofit ('06?), Century has no solarium, and no indoor pool. Late season Alaska cruising tends to be too cold for use of the outdoor pools and hot tubs. When we cruised to Hawaii on Century ('12), we only had one day that wasn't too cold/windy to use the outdoor pool. I really missed having a solarium and T-pool, on that cruise! :(

But then, if you're not a "pool person", this wouldn't be an issue for you. :cool:

I'm not really a pool person (on a ship). I only tried the outdoor pool on Millennium once on my first cruise but I LOVE the T-pool and used it 1+ hours a day on my other cruises....when I could manage to find it without too many people in it. I don't use the hot tubs at all. The T-pool is one of my favourite features on the M-class ships, going to miss it on a future S-class cruise.

I sailed on the Century in February and was in a FV cabin on deck 9 (9245). While I enjoyed the ship, I would never book the FV cabin again. One of my major issues was the way the bed is located in the cabin. One side of the bed is against a wall (the bed faces toward the veranda, rather than perpendicular to it). Thus if there are two people, the one on the inside would have to climb over the other to get out of bed. Also there is no bedside table which for me was a huge problem. The veranda was large and quite nice. The cabin was very noisy (there was an exit door nearby that had stairs up to deck 10), and the engine noise woke me very early each morning as we went into port. I have no issue with the ship, just with the aft cabins.

Carolyn

I noticed that the bed was in an awkward position and would also miss the convenience of not having a bedside table. I have been in cabins where there were doors constantly slamming because of people coming and going and it drove me crazy.

Thanks everyone for your input. :)

We stayed in one of the FV cabins on the Mercury, which was a sister to the Century. While it was one of my favorite rooms back at that time, I doubt if I would feel the same about it now being nearly 20 years older. The bed is in a funny position and if you are tall, you have to curl up to sleep in that tight area in which it is situated.

Also, I recall the thrusters popping you right out of the bed in the morning when pulling into port. OMG -- I mean, pop you right out of bed -- so loud and oftentimes really early in the morning.

While the Century does have an amazing staff and crew, I don't think I would sail on her again and definitely not up to Alaska. The windows in the observation lounge leaked like crazy when we were on her in March. I was surprised at the disrepair in parts of the ship and realized they probably weren't really going to do much with her before they give her up next year.

Our CC cabin was aft on deck 9 and didn't really feel that much vibration in that room but think the wear and tear was quite noticeable. I know there a LOT of Century fans out there that will be sad to see her move out of the Celebrity fleet and they are entitled to that opinion. I just see her as having seen her better days and no indication of fixing her up now.....although, we did have a really nice cruise. The food was great, entertainment great, the staff, as mentioned, is amazing. The officers and the cruise director were oftentimes seen chatting with the guests -- very personalized service.

Muranos was fantastic as well and the Café Cova quickly became our hang out. So, there were some very special things about this cruise that made it special ... just not the ship itself for us. However, we were recently off an S-class ship and that will spoil anyone. Plus, we are huge fans of days spent at the indoor pool area and since it doesn't sound that this is all that important to you, it might not be a big deal.

If you do decide to go, SF is a great port to start your sailing. It is breathtaking to sail out under the Golden Gate. I have done this several times and never tire of those views. Plus, there is so much to do pre or post cruise if you are spending any time on either end of the cruise. Expensive as all get out but still worth the cost. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks Cruise Raider - The fact that this cruise was starting and ending in San Francisco is what got me so excited. I love San Francisco and have been wanting to get back there for many years. I spent a lot of time trying to decide on this cruise but have decided to give it a miss....there was too much indecision as opposed to some other cruises which were instant and easy decisions.

I will keep looking at the cruises out of San Francisco because I do like the idea of that as the home port. There is a cruise next year on the Infinity to Alaska for 14 nights that could be good.

Hi Sue, hope you find the one you are looking for. If I could sail Century

again, I would.....to Alaska or anywhere else. I love the ship:) and will

miss her when she leaves:(

My only concern with the Century is based on some experiences we had on the Mercury about 10 months before it was sold. We decided to cruise on the Mercury one last time. We had previously sailed the Mercury two years before that. Sorry to say but they let the ship deteriorate in our opinion. Carpets were well worn, the mattresses were terrible, we had a chair in our cabin with a broken leg. Our hallway smelled of sewage a lot. Elevators were often out of service. It just seemed obvious to us that someone had decided to just squeeze by until it was sold. The staff was great. The food was good. But the ship did not look or feel in top condition. Just don't expect the Century to be in it's best condition.

My only concern with the Century is based on some experiences we had on the Mercury about 10 months before it was sold. We decided to cruise on the Mercury one last time. We had previously sailed the Mercury two years before that. Sorry to say but they let the ship deteriorate in our opinion. Carpets were well worn, the mattresses were terrible, we had a chair in our cabin with a broken leg. Our hallway smelled of sewage a lot. Elevators were often out of service. It just seemed obvious to us that someone had decided to just squeeze by until it was sold. The staff was great. The food was good. But the ship did not look or feel in top condition. Just don't expect the Century to be in it's best condition.

Hi:) I think the original poster decided not to sail her........her last

post said she is going to give it a miss.....