Son got a job and can't go on cruise!

Ali-in-Texas

Friends of ours had daughter's friend cancel due to new job. There were 4 in cabin and they booked early saver. Outcome was she lost the $50 plus deposit though I think that could be put toward a future cruise within 2 years and the rates for the other three went up by $110 each. Would be cheaper to find a replacement if possible.

Yes the rates went up for the 3 that were left because the 4th wasn't included in splitting the cabin cost anymore. The 4th would have had her deposit credited toward another cruise minus $50 penalty

I would say before you panic, and trust me, i've been there. It's hard not to. Have him talk to his employer. I think the best thing in this situation is to be up front and honest with your employer, a lot of them will understand. I had just booked a vacation when I put out an application for a new job never thinking I would get a call back because it was a great job opportunity. Well, they interviewed me and offered me the job. Right then I told them I had this vacation booked and asked them if it was ok to still go. I told them if it wasn't I fully understood their decision, but they said it was more than ok since I let them know at the time I was hired. I was relieved and cruising I went. Moral of the story: I know people feel bad asking, but truthfully it can not hurt to ask!!

While I would ask an employer for the time off

It all depends on what type of job your son got, before asking boss for time off.

If it is a entry level min wage job..... There are other jobs

If it is a career job, that he had tough time getting, it might not look good

I can guarantee you that this is not true. My family is going on the Carnival Dream on August 3rd and just last week, I had to replace my wife with her niece because my wife is very ill and was in the ICU. It cost $50 to do it and I even moved one of my daughters into my room and put my niece in the other room.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck!

I agree that this is untrue. I booked online early saver and my husband decided not to go. I just changed the name online myself. No charge and no issues at all! Very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I called Carnival and they said we could change names for $50 but it needed to be done at least 2 days before sailing.

If we had booked early saver we wouldn't be able to make a change.

Again, I was able to change names online through my cruise manager. No phone call, no charge, and it worked.....I was booked early saver.

On a Princess cruise. Within the last few weeks before the cruise, something came up & my husband could not make it.

I was shocked when I called to ask if my duughter could go instead AND THEY SAID YES.....AND DID NOT CHARGE ME !

Might just depend on the mood of whoever answers the phone....nothing to lose by asking !

Royal Caribbean is lenient that way. Our son was supposed to go on a cruise with me but he couldn't get out of class without failing the class. I called and was able to replace him with a friend of mine at no charge.

I agree that this is untrue. I booked online early saver and my husband decided not to go. I just changed the name online myself. No charge and no issues at all! Very easy.

Have you already sailed?

Did you only need name and birthdate?

So it is free to make the change yourself online but $50 through customer service?

I think if he's already accepted the position and didn't bother to mention his existing plans then trying to find someone else is likely the right move. Had he mentioned this during the "Do you have any other questions" phase of interview 3+ then it would be easy to know if the new job could accommodate such a request or not. Even if they could, it's possible that this isn't the impression he would want to make if this is a dream job or career progression step for him.

Back to the real question. We've been able to change people even with early saver in the past, but check and see if it makes sense to do so. Sometimes adding an additional person to the room (assuming it has capacity) and just letting him no-show may be cheaper than the change costs if they want to use a new price basis for the new person (this was true for us on a cruise a couple years ago).

Have you already sailed?

Did you only need name and birthdate?

So it is free to make the change yourself online but $50 through customer service?

I have already sailed. I needed name, address, and birthdate I think. Whatever it asks for. And yes, I was able to do it online without incident or charge.

I think if he's already accepted the position and didn't bother to mention his existing plans then trying to find someone else is likely the right move. Had he mentioned this during the "Do you have any other questions" phase of interview 3+ then it would be easy to know if the new job could accommodate such a request or not.

Once as I was signing paperwork after being hired the manager said, "Do you have any vacations planned?" I mentioned that I did have a trip planned two months away and she said, "That's fine since you told me now."