Questions on NY cruising

bluedevil72

We have cruised several times but are beginning to research our first out of NY. I did a search on the best port to cruise out of to pass the closest to the Statue of Liberty but what I got was mostly questions about touring the Statue. So, what is the answer to that question?

We have never been to NY and want to do some sightseeing before and after the cruise. In doing some searching, it looked like cruising out of NJ is not convenient for doing that. Is that correct?

We are going during the fall to Canada/NE. I understand that leaves don't change at the same time each year, but what is the optimum time to do this cruise? Thanks in advance.

We have cruised several times but are beginning to research our first out of NY. I did a search on the best port to cruise out of to pass the closest to the Statue of Liberty but what I got was mostly questions about touring the Statue. So, what is the answer to that question?

We have never been to NY and want to do some sightseeing before and after the cruise. In doing some searching, it looked like cruising out of NJ is not convenient for doing that. Is that correct?

We are going during the fall to Canada/NE. I understand that leaves don't change at the same time each year, but what is the optimum time to do this cruise? Thanks in advance.

When you cruise out of the New York Passenger Ship Terminal in Manhattan you will sail directly past the Statue of Liberty, this is the best view.

If you leave from Cape Liberty, New Jersey you can actually see the statue from the port.

There are excursion trips to the Statue that leave from the tip of Manhattan downtown and make the round trip to the statue and back to NYC. Most of the Canada/New England cruises are September and October, usually by October you see a lot of color in the leaves.

Jonathan

Thanks for your response. In looking at cruises and ports of call, Princess ports at Boston and Bar Harbor. The others don't do both and we would like to do both. Princess embarks at Red Hook. Do you go by the statue when leaving from Brooklyn? I've looked at a map, but it's hard to tell for sure.

You do not go past the statue leaving from Red Hook.

As cruiser King said, you must sail from Manhattan to go by the statue, so this pretty much limits your choices to NCL, Carnival, and HAL.

Thank you for your prompt responses. This one is going to take a lot more planning and researching than our Alaskan and Caribbean cruises. Just the thought of staying two or three days pre-criuise and seeing as much as we can is mind-boggling.

Take it step by step. All the pieces have to fit together. Hotel rooms are expensive in NYC in the fall, but you can often do better on the weekends, so don't book flights until you have checked out hotel prices. Some cruises are Fri to Fri, so you would get better hotel prices post cruise rather than precruise. Hotwire can also be a good way to get a nice hotel with a high approval rating for a good price.

Choice of NY airport is less significant because there are multiple transportation options into Manhattan available from all of them.

The Statue of Liberty is on the otherside of Governors Island across ButterMilk channel. Its not far but its not the view you get from the Manhattan Cruise terminal. If you are at the Brooklyn Cruise terminal overnight and want to just go by the SofL. there are three ways. take a cab to the Manhattan Staten Island ferry terminal and take a round trip on the Staten Island ferry that will pass extremely close to the Statue or you can take the same cab to the Statue of Liberty Ferry and go to the Island for a real close up.

http://www.statueoflibertytickets.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw0a2eBRDVrabv9vWJ90USJACsKRDHYCfzOU_CdteV5_pXMFDdL5-SPQjHgqHmxmw7lCwuBRoCYzLw_wcB

or walk to the either Fairway or Ikea(about 3/4 of a mile) and take a round trip on the NY waterways

http://www.nywatertaxi.com/tours/ikea

If you are spending time in NYC, the best way to see the Statue of Liberty is to take the free Staten Island ferry. It will take you right past Liberty Island. This also enures that you will have daylight.

Aloha,

John

We dont want to drive to the port in New York City. We will be coming from Chicago and would like to get close but still stay out of the city. What are our options for transportation to the port.....buses.....trains...etc. Thanks for your help we just dont want to tackle the city. Thanks for any and all information!

Smarttravel - could you provide more details about your high level plans? Hotel budget? Number of people? Number of beds? Exact date(s)? Cruise length? Sightseeing objectives, if any? Can you manage your luggage?

It sounds like you're driving east from Chicago. I understand your reluctance to drive in New York City, but unfortunately driving anywhere in the nearby metro area can be bad as well. How close to the city would you be willing to drive?

If you would consider parking at the pier, one strategy would be to stay out I80 in the Parsipanny area (good for Hotwire) and drive into the city across the George Washington Bridge and down the Henry Hudson Parkway right to the pier. This does not involve any local street driving in NYC except right in front of the pier. This has been done successfully by folks who were hesitant to drive in the city.

Another option is to do a park/sleep at Newark airport and take the train or bus into the city.

It's all a matter of trying to balance time, money and stress to come up with a plans that suits you.

What suggestions would you have for seeing some of the city? We will be flying into LGA and probably staying two full days pre-cruise. I understand the taxi or shuttle from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier. What I don't understand is the best way to fill in the blanks.

I have read alot about the Gray Line HOHO busses, and that seems like a viable option but how does that work? Do we need to find a hotel near where they pick up, find a less expensive hotel near the airport, or neither? I also know we would want to do sightseeing by boat....how is that done?

I guess my biggest question is transportation to and from for those two days. Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

What suggestions would you have for seeing some of the city? We will be flying into LGA and probably staying two full days pre-cruise. I understand the taxi or shuttle from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier. What I don't understand is the best way to fill in the blanks.

I have read alot about the Gray Line HOHO busses, and that seems like a viable option but how does that work? Do we need to find a hotel near where they pick up, find a less expensive hotel near the airport, or neither? I also know we would want to do sightseeing by boat....how is that done?

I guess my biggest question is transportation to and from for those two days. Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

You don't have to worry about picking up the HoHo; they have several stops located in midtown; if you choose a hotel further away you can simply take public transportation to Times Square and then get on the HoHo. I think the question is up to you, how much is your budget? Coming in to LaG, staying in Long Island City is an option if you have a tight budget. Otherwise there are several options in Manhattan.

The Circle Line boat tour is the way to see Manhattan from the water.