Buying internet minutes on Golden Princess

CRUISING71

Hello,

We never had to buy internet minutes while cruising, but on this cruise it is a must for us since kids are not going. We need to stay in touch via email since telephone call is too expensive.

My questions are 1. Can I connect using my tablet or do I need to go down to the business center to use cruise ship's computers?

2. How is the internet on the ship?

3. Is it cheaper to prebuy them or wait till we get on board.

Thanks,

Tibby

Hello,

We never had to buy internet minutes while cruising, but on this cruise it is a must for us since kids are not going. We need to stay in touch via email since telephone call is too expensive.

My questions are 1. Can I connect using my tablet or do I need to go down to the business center to use cruise ship's computers?

2. How is the internet on the ship?

3. Is it cheaper to prebuy them or wait till we get on board.

Thanks,

Tibby

You can connect to the Internet using Wi-Fi on your device or on a ship's computer. Satellite coverage can vary & also vary based on your location on the ship. We had good coverage in March on the Golden from Buenos Aires to LA. I get free internet minutes because of our Captain's Circle level but others have said it's more beneficial to purchase an Internet package before the cruise.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks...we need to buy it now. Leaving next weekend.

Many times I've seen an "embarkation special" during the first couple of days onboard where you can receive "up to 40 additional minutes for free". However others have said they got a better deal when pre purchasing an Internet package.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Pre-purchased packages cost the same as packages purchased on the ship.

The first day or two on the ship each package will have 10% extra minutes.

If purchased before the cruise, the extra minutes are 20%.

Yes you can use your tablet.

It is very important when you are finished using the Internet to sign off with by entering either logout.com or 1.1.1.1 as the address to go to.

If you do not signoff properly, your minutes will continue to be used and you will be charged for additional minutes if your package runs out.

You will be asked to purchase additional minutes. In addition, whenever you log out, the screen will show how many minutes you have used and how minutes remain.

Actually, you are asked if you want to purchase additional minutes every time you log on.

When you do log on, you are told how many minutes remain in your package.

Following is one of the log on screens on a PC (may have changed some by now):

890215111021514Internetsignon-step6DSC08444_zps851fe8b3.jpg

How do I known if I go over my package plan?

I have seen a warning that if you are online when the plan runs out it will contiue to charge at the original package minute rate.

When you log off then you would need to purchase another package.

I have never been close to running out while logged on so I don't know if there is a pop up of some kind warning you that you are running out.