Christmas/Holiday Cruises

Jadn13

Having said all that, there are many people who absolutely love Christmas Cruises.

Over the past 34 years I have worked 32 Christmas cruises.

2 were absolutely wonderful.

About 10 were very painful.

20 were complete disasters.

How lucky are you feeling this year?

Sorry BruceMuzz - I couldn't resist!! :D

untitled.png

I can understand how 30 out of 32 Christmas cruises were painful or complete disasters for someone working on the ship. Just remember that Bruce might have dealt with 200 angry passengers, while the remaining 3,000 or so passengers were having a great time.

We didn't know either! Fortunately we had met some British friends onboard and they explained the tradition. It is a little decorative package that you pop open (and it pops like a firecracker). Inside is a paper crown, some little trinkets and a joke to share with your tablemates. Not sure how or why the tradition originated, only that apparently it is common in the UK. We had so much fun we have now incorporated into our family Christmas Eve Dinners at home. You can find them at places like Cost Plus World Market at the holidays.

Christmas-crackers1.jpeg

Humm, I'm surprised these aren't common in the US. They are a tradition here in Canada as well and all stores stock them. Some of them can have quite fancy toys inside and are more expensive. There's usually a paper hat inside as well, it's tradition to wear it during the meal.:)

I can understand how 30 out of 32 Christmas cruises were painful or complete disasters for someone working on the ship. Just remember that Bruce might have dealt with 200 angry passengers, while the remaining 3,000 or so passengers were having a great time.

GEOHERB,

Excellent observation.

Although it is more like 300 angry pax out of 3,000.

That's around 10% whose cruise was a disaster.

A big problem for me - and of course for you, if you happen to be one of those 300 upset passengers. Whatever your issues on this cruise, there is very little chance that we can do anything about it.

That's why I asked if you are feeling lucky to take a family holiday cruise.

Chances are pretty good that you will have a fantastic time.

But the increased chances of everything going wrong on your holiday cruise should be considered before booking it.

Three holiday cruises (both Christmas and New Years, and even one had Hanukkah) on Princess between 2005 and 2013 and all three going to Hawaii. All in all, much better than sitting at home for those two weeks because going to the mall is a royal pain in the you-know-what. December 25, 2012 in Maui -- what can be better and we were even able to go to Whaler's Village where most of the stores were open. Even if we were in the Caribbean and everything was closed in port that day...then we return to the ship and enjoy hanging out by the pool or see what movie is playing in the Princess Theater.

And let's not forget that many of the crew members aren't Christian so it's just another day to them, albeit one on which they're expected to wear a Santa cap.

Three holiday cruises (both Christmas and New Years' date=' and even one had Hanukkah) on Princess between 2005 and 2013 and all three going to Hawaii. All in all, much better than sitting at home for those two weeks because going to the mall is a royal pain in the you-know-what. December 25, 2012 in Maui -- what can be better and we were even able to go to Whaler's Village where most of the stores were open. Even if we were in the Caribbean and everything was closed in port that day...then we return to the ship and enjoy hanging out by the pool or see what movie is playing in the Princess Theater.

And let's not forget that many of the crew members aren't Christian so it's just another day to them, albeit one on which they're expected to wear a Santa cap.[/quote']

Many of us - including me - are not Christian. But in Asia, Christmas is often more of a family holiday than it is in the West. It is definitely more than just another day to us. Unfortunately instead of staying with our families during that period, we are working for half pay with many unhappy people we often cannot really help very much.

Royal Caribbean puts on a fantastic special Christmas ice skating show. Take a look at the slide show my wife made with pictures she took for her website. Turn up your speakers to enjoy the music while the slide show plays.

Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas Ice Skating Show

http://nancysoasis.com/2012ice/ice.html

Christmas cruising is wonderful!

getting so excited as we are going on our first cruise with Princess on the crown for Christmas with our family. Have never been on a cruise where there are lots of kids but won't bother me since Christmas is a family affair. We will also be taking our family as we are celebrating our 50 th anniversary. What better way to go. Just looking for ideas of what to do at the ports in Mexico. Any help out there?