When Does The Upgrade Fairy Usually Works His/Her Magic?

I think the Revenue Department and C&A use the same dart board. It's the one where my name is covered with a metal shield (a lot of you are in the same boat - no pun intended). I am approaching 500 cruise points and not even a whiff of an upgrade. However, I am happy in my D2 so no worries.

We are over 500 points and have had 1 upgrade. Happy enough with our D2 as well......but won't turn down a JS!!!:D

We had some friends years ago that were on their first RC cruise, they were upgraded to a balcony from an inside about 5-6 days out. They were quite ecstatic. I really feel that the upgrades come more from the revenue department more often then the C/A department. The only folks we have known that were upgraded were done so from the revenue department because neither of them had any type of status quo.

Me, I'm just happy my butt is on a ship, I could care less about an upgrade.:D

So we have friends travelling with us on our next cruise and they are first time RCI cruisers so they are not yet C & A members. They have an inside cabin. Is there any chance they could receive a free upgrade or are those just for C & A members?

:)

I got a free upgrade for my very first RCI cruise before I was a C&A member, so there is a (microscopic...:D) chance.

Good Luck!

/Erik

When thinking about the upgrade fairy, their rule of thumb is: Inside to Oceanview, Oceanview to balcony, Balcony to JS, JS to GS, OS or RFS.

So please don't expect, if you are booked in an E-1 to be upgraded to a GS.

Rick

Our anecdotal experience has been that Revenue Department holds on to the inventory longer than they used to. If an early upgrade is done, it is more likely to suit the company's needs (ie, to make room for a group). When Revenue does release any remaining inventory to Crown & Anchor, it is much closer to the sail date than in previous years. Many times the remaining suite(s) are won at Bingo.

There is not a lot of predictability on this issue. Book the cabin you will be comfortable sailing in, and if an upgrade comes your way, enjoy! :)

Edited by travelgoddess1

No one I know ever has been given an upgrade or offered an upsell from revenue department. We stay in balconies mostly, and one person I know stays in suites. No luck for any of us, but we sail on Oasis on August 16th. Maybe, we will get lucky this time. I doubt it though.

we were upgraded from a D1 to a Crown Loft Suite....oh boy did that spoil us! There was one D+ (me) , 2 Diamonds folks, 1 Emerald. Party of four women, we had a ball, a cruise to remember with my daughters over Mothers Day weekend. .....this happened about 10 days before, the other time we found out at port, in fact we let ourselves in to the Jr. Suite and I was telling my husband the entire time this was not our D1, I don't think this is our stateroom. Like duh, never suspecting the upgrade fairy. What a sweet surprise. I have marked surprise me, we are D+ so I am constantly hopeful until I unlock that door.

So we have friends travelling with us on our next cruise and they are first time RCI cruisers so they are not yet C & A members. They have an inside cabin. Is there any chance they could receive a free upgrade or are those just for C & A members?

:)

Pretty much no chance at all. If they want a better cabin they should pay for it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I still cannot explain why.............but the first time on Celebrity, in 2001, on the Mercury on a B2B............our first with Celebrity, after sitting in the terminal for over a half hour, someone from the ship came out, and introduced herself, and apologized for the delay, and led us to a Royal Suite. We enjoyed this for both cruises.

Our first time aboard a Royal Caribbean ship.......we had booked a D-1 cabin out of Honolulu, in 2003. When we arrived at the pier in Honolulu, we were offered, for $350.00 pp an upgrade to an OS. As it was a 14 night cruise, we took it.

Since then, we have only booked full suites, and have been given the RS on a couple of occasions.

There are some on here that feel offended, when we are upgraded. They truly do not understand that we spend a great deal more, when we mostly pay for OS's, some GS's, and from time to time, when it's an occasion to celebrate, the RS.;)

Rick

Was just wondering when a possible upgrade may occur? We are approx. 30 days out from our quick Oasis 2 nite cruise and looks like there is a large surplus of suites available. We have an outside balcony and have my fingers crossed for an upgrade to experience the "suite life".

Do not know. But here's hoping someday.