Saver fare question

Lanky Lad

I have book a saver fare for QM2 in October and have a question about the dining times. Cunard say the time will be allocated on boarding and cannot be changed. Is this true or if you can find someone to swap with will they let you?

If 2 individuals or a couple arrange between themselves to change I can see no reason for Cunard to object to that.

On the subject of Saver Fares I have been tracking the price of a short cruise on the Q.M.2 & Strangely the Cunard Fare is less!! than the Saver fare & you get free parking as well!! Makes me think do!!!. they have any idea of what they are doing

On the subject of Saver Fares I have been tracking the price of a short cruise on the Q.M.2 & Strangely the Cunard Fare is less!! than the Saver fare & you get free parking as well!! Makes me think do!!!. they have any idea of what they are doing

Yes I noticed that too - really strange.

Yes I noticed that too - really strange.

Are you talking about M418 ? If not then that is another one.

Perhaps they need to fill a certain amount of Balcony staterooms :D

Edited by Pennbank

Are you talking about M418 ? If not then that is another one.

Perhaps they need to fill a certain amount of Balcony staterooms :D

That's the one, I have noticed recently of a few mistakes in the prices & the alert customer can make a considerable saving.

Thanks, hopefully I will get early sitting but time will tell.

I think that may be the time I would consider withdrawing the service charge, If that became set in stone!

"Saver Fares" come with the stipulation that one doesn't get to choose which dinner seating, right? So one signs on knowing this, doesn't get their preferred sitting, and that's a justification to stiff the crew out of gratuities? :eek:

"Saver Fares" come with the stipulation that one doesn't get to choose which dinner seating, right? So one signs on knowing this, doesn't get their preferred sitting, and that's a justification to stiff the crew out of gratuities? :eek:

Not getting the Service I require, Yes ! as I said I would consider this option, using it as a bargaining tool with the maitre d.

Cunard are trying to stuff the customer again with attempting to blackmail them into paying higher fares. To be able to eat in the Britannia Restaurant.

Its not a difficult thing to fix.

I would ask you if you would pay for a Transatlantic back to back solo at, £3500 ($5960) for an inside stateroom at the 'be able choose your Dining time' fare (Cunard fare)

or

£1574 ($2680) for the saver fare were dining times are allocated on ship.

Is it fair that if one has a medical problem and have to eat early/late

you should be blackmailed into paying the higher fare ?

If The Customer is not getting the service, then you have the option to withdraw the service charge.

This is the first time Carnival are trying to pull this stunt. Are you willing for them to get away with it ?

Solo travellers already get a bum deal when cruising anyway.

Edited by Pennbank

Being in the US where we don't have the "saver fares" I can't comment on the ins and outs of the requirements. I do suspect, however, that a person should be able to make a reasonable request for the sitting of their choice with the Maitre d' as soon as possible after boarding if the assigned seating is not their preference, for whatever reason. I don't really think Cunard is trying to "blackmail them into paying higher fares. To be able to eat in the Britannia Restaurant." There is nothing preventing anyone traveling with a saver fare from eating in Britannia, though if that person wants/needs a particular seating and does not get it, they might feel they must choose to eat elsewhere.

Moreover, withholding the service charge does nothing to punish Cunard, only the service employees who have nothing to do with Cunard policy, and who can't do anything about it. Threatening the Maitre d' with withholding the service charge is surely not the way to get his cooperation! If there's a medical reason for eating at a particular seating, I would hope that this could be mentioned when (nicely and politely) requesting a change in the seating assignment. As an old expression goes, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

I do really feel for all those who have to pay the single supplement. I'm not in your shoes, but we all could be some day. :(

Ann

Being in the US where we don't have the "saver fares" I can't comment on the ins and outs of the requirements. I do suspect, however, that a person should be able to make a reasonable request for the sitting of their choice with the Maitre d' as soon as possible after boarding if the assigned seating is not their preference, for whatever reason. I don't really think Cunard is trying to "blackmail them into paying higher fares. To be able to eat in the Britannia Restaurant." There is nothing preventing anyone traveling with a saver fare from eating in Britannia, though if that person wants/needs a particular seating and does not get it, they might feel they must choose to eat elsewhere.

Moreover, withholding the service charge does nothing to punish Cunard, only the service employees who have nothing to do with Cunard policy, and who can't do anything about it. Threatening the Maitre d' with withholding the service charge is surely not the way to get his cooperation! If there's a medical reason for eating at a particular seating, I would hope that this could be mentioned when (nicely and politely) requesting a change in the seating assignment. As an old expression goes, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

I do really feel for all those who have to pay the single supplement. I'm not in your shoes, but we all could be some day. :(

Ann

Obviously one is not going to start with all guns blazing, All I am doing is stating that one has the opportunity to withdraw the service charge. Of which I would consider in this instance if I was unable get my preferred dining time.

Are you saying that all USA residents will pay for bad or no service,

The Maitre d is staff, and an employee of Cunard if he is unable to supply the service then why pay it ?

The debate over who gets the service charge has been debated to death, we just do not know. We do not know where the tips go either, do the staff have to pool them? The question will get asked for ever. If the mystery was solved I am sure that the crews tips would be lower.

Just expressing my point as opposed to the other point of paying for poor or no service with the option of not paying for it.;)

Edited by Pennbank

Not getting the Service I require, Yes ! as I said I would consider this option, using it as a bargaining tool with the maitre d.

Cunard are trying to stuff the customer again with attempting to blackmail them into paying higher fares. To be able to eat in the Britannia Restaurant.

Its not a difficult thing to fix.

I would ask you if you would pay for a Transatlantic back to back solo at, £3500 ($5960) for an inside stateroom at the 'be able choose your Dining time' fare (Cunard fare) or £1574 ($2680) for the saver fare were dining times are allocated on ship.

Is it fair that if one has a medical problem and have to eat early/late

you should be blackmailed into paying the higher fare ?

If The Customer is not getting the service, then you have the option to withdraw the service charge.

This is the first time Carnival are trying to pull this stunt. Are you willing for them to get away with it ?

Solo travellers already get a bum deal when cruising anyway.

I have to totally disagree with your reasoning 100%. First and foremost, by booking a Saver fare you are requiring a level of service that you did not pay for. These fares are sold with a passenger having full knowledge that dining and stateroom selection are at Cunard's discretion.

It's also stated in the FAQ that medical notes to justify first sitting won't be honored, nor should they be. Imagine how many would do this if Cunard did allot seating for real or supposed medical conditions. We already have posters here who claim that they are "blackmailed" or "discriminated" against because they must book early to secure an HC stateroom. Some time ago another complained that the then-Getaway fares were not available for mid-ship staterooms. She claimed high sensitivity to motion sickness and was thus "barred" from discounted fares.

I travel solo and know full well how much more I pay. But it's no surprise. If I don't want to pay a single supplement I can instead book an air ticket and a land based hotel.

Those who are "blackmailed" into paying full fares should have advantages that the "savers" do not. You opted for price over choice. Now you demand both. And you advocate the withholding of gratuities to punish the staff for a corporate policy.

Edited by BlueRiband

I have to totally disagree with your reasoning 100%. First and foremost, by booking a Saver fare you are requiring a level of service that you did not pay for. These fares are sold with a passenger having full knowledge that dining and stateroom selection are at Cunard's discretion.

It's also stated in the FAQ that medical notes to justify first sitting won't be honored, nor should they be. Imagine how many would do this if Cunard did allot seating for real or supposed medical conditions. We already have posters here who claim that they are "blackmailed" or "discriminated" against because they must book early to secure an HC stateroom. Some time ago another complained that the then-Getaway fares were not available for mid-ship staterooms. She claimed high sensitivity to motion sickness and was thus "barred" from discounted fares.

I travel solo and know full well how much more I pay. But it's no surprise. If I don't want to pay a single supplement I can instead book an air ticket and a land based hotel.

Those who are "blackmailed" into paying full fares should have advantages that the "savers" do not. You opted for price over choice. Now you demand both. And you advocate the withholding of gratuities to punish the staff for a corporate policy.

(Booking an air ticket and land based hotel is not cruising)

You are missing my point 100%

The staff are the corporate

Without the corporate there would be no jobs

The maitre d is staff and employee and has the tools to offer the service.

Do you think it is acceptable to pay an extra $3280 on top of the cheapest fare to have dining time set in stone ?

Remember the USA does not have the saver fares and Cunard fares you have the Cruise Fare

You have reasonable fares all round and no Credit card fees plus the options to cancel without charges. Also you do not have this stupid dining rule (Yet)

Edited by Pennbank

I know Cunard fare differences between countries have been discussed elsewhere on CC, but I can't remember the various kinds of fares for UK residents. Pennbank says the US has "reasonable fares all round," and does not have "saver fares" vs. "Cunard fares." However, I'm not at all clear as to what the difference might be, for the same crossing, same cabin, for the sake of argument, between the US fare and those available to people in the UK. I would venture a guess that we in the US are paying more than the saver fare, and we do not have the option of trying to save money by going with this "lower tier" type of fare.

I surely can't understand why Cunard would have such different kinds of fare structures for residents of different countries, as well as varying regulations about refunds, credit card use, etc. I do recall a discussion about Australian fares, and some of the differences having to do with exchange rates. Does anyone know if there are differences in fare structures, refunds, etc., that might be due to the legal systems of the respective countries?:confused:

We were just on the Queen Victoria on a saver fare. OH went to see Maitre d on the first day and we were shifted to the sitting we wanted. No problem at all.

Thanks, hopefully, I will get what I want but it's nice to know it's not set in stone.

Hi Lanky Lad, like a couple of previous posts, we went via a "Saver fare" twice last year and on both occasions went to the dining room and saw the Maitre D, early on the day of embarkation and got amended from second to first seating on both occasions - without any problems - good luck and enjoy the cruise.

You have reasonable fares all round and no Credit card fees plus the options to cancel without charges. Also you do not have this stupid dining rule (Yet)

I am not going to comment on the essence of this discussion, but as for "reasonable fares year round" I have to say not necessarily. For a few years I was hoping to take a one-week Cunard cruise from Southampton. Comparing fares from the UK and Canada (the US site, of course, but fares are quoted in Canadian $) the Canadian and US fare was approximately $1000 more for every cruise I was interested in. This was not a "fly/cruise" rate; it was cruise only. For 2013 there was a huge reduction, approximately 30%, for the Grills so we booked a Norway cruise in PG for roughly the same as we have been paying for a seven-day transatlantic.

It is difficult to compare transatlantic fares as the UK fares usually include a one-way flight and the US/Canadian fares do not, although a flight option may be added. I don't know if that is still the case, so I stand to be corrected on that.

As for credit cards, that is the way Cunard wants to be paid on this side of the pond. Travel agents no longer collect the fare; they simply take the credit card information and the billing is done by Cunard in the US.

(Booking an air ticket and land based hotel is not cruising)

You are missing my point 100%

The staff are the corporate

Without the corporate there would be no jobs

The maitre d is staff and employee and has the tools to offer the service.

Do you think it is acceptable to pay an extra $3280 on top of the cheapest fare to have dining time set in stone ?

Remember the USA does not have the saver fares and Cunard fares you have the Cruise Fare

While we don't have the Cunard/Saver fare structure in the USA there are from time to time promotional fares which are 1) guarantee staterooms and 2) no choice of early vs. late sitting. It's stipulated at time of online booking and one has a chance to cancel the whole process if it's not acceptable.

You mention paying as "..extra $3280 on top of the cheapest fare.." which I believe refers to the single supplement. The supplement paid should therefore give you extra consideration? You still booked within a discounted fare structure and Cunard gets less money for one person occupying the stateroom as opposed to two.

I'm sorry you consider the crew members to be "corporate". These people have limited discrection in interpreting corporate policies. Even the ship's master has to contact corporate before doing things like giving surplus supplies to a trans-atlantic rower.

Others have mentioned that they were able to switch seatings, and this will probably depend on how full the ship may be. I hope you do get the seating you want. But I am appalled that anyone would financially retalliate against the crew because they didn't get their way.

While we don't have the Cunard/Saver fare structure in the USA there are from time to time promotional fares which are 1) guarantee staterooms and 2) no choice of early vs. late sitting. It's stipulated at time of online booking and one has a chance to cancel the whole process if it's not acceptable.

You mention paying as "..extra $3280 on top of the cheapest fare.." which I believe refers to the single supplement. The supplement paid should therefore give you extra consideration? You still booked within a discounted fare structure and Cunard gets less money for one person occupying the stateroom as opposed to two.

I'm sorry you consider the crew members to be "corporate". These people have limited discrection in interpreting corporate policies. Even the ship's master has to contact corporate before doing things like giving surplus supplies to a trans-atlantic rower.

Others have mentioned that they were able to switch seatings, and this will probably depend on how full the ship may be. I hope you do get the seating you want. But I am appalled that anyone would financially retalliate against the crew because they didn't get their way.

No one has retaliated against the crew for not getting their way.

Or I am saying is that the Service charge could be used as a bargaining tool.

How many people would bung the Maitre d to get their way ?

Why pay for service when its bad service?

Edited by Pennbank

I don't think that threats to withdraw the gratuities would help, rather it would make the Dining room suddenly completely full madam.

We have never been refused a change, in our case from late to early or from an 8 to 6 table and have found the M D keen to have happy diners.

David.

I don't think that threats to withdraw the gratuities would help, rather it would make the Dining room suddenly completely full madam.

We have never been refused a change, in our case from late to early or from an 8 to 6 table and have found the M D keen to have happy diners.

David.

Exactly

That is my point.

The Maitre d wants a happy Dining room/Happy Liner

Why Cunard have suddenly stated this in their saver fares prices is in my opinion Blackmail to try and get customers to pay the higher fares.

The service charge is a charge for service. If you don't get the service then you don't pay it.

Edited by Pennbank

I guess it's mostly to stop a crowd of people all wanting to change.

But it's easy for head office to come up with a bright idea, they are not the ones who have to deal with the upset customers.

Thanks everyone, at least now I know that if I don't get first sitting it's worth asking to change.

Can I conclude from this discussion that first sitting is more popular and it is more likely that a Saver Fare would be allocated 2nd sitting? We have booked on a Saver Fare and fully accept that we don't have the same choices re stateroom and dining allocations as those who have paid the higher fares and actually think that's fair enough.