Legal gratuity charge

hintanjul

One Christmas Eve, on another line, my DH ordered 3 bottles of champagne for our party who were celebrating friends` 50th wedding anniversary. The waiter filled the glasses only once then disappeared. That waiter did not give suitable service for the 15% we paid (it was a big bill) but we did not remove the service charge. This is one occasion where we maybe should have.

The gratuity is automatically applied, but is defined as discretionary; which means you may opt to INCREASE, DECREASE, or REMOVE it. Hence the definition of discretionary.

My understanding is that on Cunard ships, the per diem Hotel and Dining charge (a/k/a auto charge) can be adjusted up or down, or removed entirely. But the 15% gratuity added to bar service is not discretionary: it is mandatory. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Thanks, -S.

Edited by Salacia

My understanding is the that per diem Hotel and Dining charge (a/k/a auto charge) can be adjusted up or down, or removed entirely. But the 15% gratuity added to bar service is not discretionary: it is mandatory. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Thanks, -S.
Good morning (over here) Salacia :) ,

You are not.

Best wishes to you :) .

Edited by pepperrn

One Christmas Eve, on another line, my DH ordered 3 bottles of champagne for our party who were celebrating friends` 50th wedding anniversary. The waiter filled the glasses only once then disappeared. That waiter did not give suitable service for the 15% we paid (it was a big bill) but we did not remove the service charge. This is one occasion where we maybe should have.

Good morning (over here) Salacia :) ,

You are not.

Best wishes to you :) .

Ciao, Pepper, from a very rain soaked NY. Thanks for that confirmation regarding gratuities. I think Cunard is straightforward about the 15% surcharge added to bar services...I could look it up, but I'm on flood watch tonight :) Cheers, -S.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not cruised on Cunard, but on other lines I almost always tip more for drinks.

Why? Because I tip more at home, one dollar for a beer, two or three dollars for two cocktails.

Surprise! On board ship, the bartenders quickly learn that I liked to be served promptly and guess what - I get quick service, even if the bar is crowded!

I've not cruised on Cunard, but on other lines I almost always tip more for drinks. ... Surprise! On board ship, the bartenders quickly learn that I liked to be served promptly and guess what - I get quick service, even if the bar is crowded!
I have cruised with Cunard (my usual pre/post dinner haunt on board is the Commodore Club). And guess what - I find I don't have to spend more to get prompt service, even if the bar is crowded! The stewards are quick to take my order, and after a very few brief minutes of conversation with friends, my order arrives.

Of course, I fully realise, and have read, that on some lines you have to attract a steward's attention somehow, but that has not been my experience with Cunard. In fact, a few stewards have rapidly remembered my favourite tipple and sometimes I find I don't have the need to tell them each time.

One guy remembered my drink of choice from one voyage to another. I had a gap of thirteen months between trips on QM2 (I had enjoyed QE2 meanwhile) and yet when I went to a different bar than I usually used on board the ship, I was greeted, before I could say a word, with "Welcome back Mr xxx, can I get you your usual?"

I did tip him extra on that occasion (;))

Happy sailings to you for the future :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Surprise! On board ship, the bartenders quickly learn that I liked to be served promptly and guess what - I get quick service, even if the bar is crowded!

Wow, those bar tenders sure are clever !! Maybe not quite as patronising and superior as you - but certainly clever. Maybe you could give them some shiny beads as well ?