Sea glass beach

Mdmarino1127

So someone help me understand this "sea glass" stuff. Is it just real glass...as in maybe busted glass bottles that have been thrown there and the water makes them smooth or something? Like what's the attraction to this? :confused:

Will we be in Bermuda the beginning of May and I'm so afraid it will be too cold for ocean swimming...even though I plan on hitting every beach there because I'm a beach lover. So, having something different to check out (like this sea glass stuff) might interest us...especially if it creates a neat chance for some photography pictures. :D

So someone help me understand this "sea glass" stuff. Is it just real glass...as in maybe busted glass bottles that have been thrown there and the water makes them smooth or something? Like what's the attraction to this? :confused:

Will we be in Bermuda the beginning of May and I'm so afraid it will be too cold for ocean swimming...even though I plan on hitting every beach there because I'm a beach lover. So, having something different to check out (like this sea glass stuff) might interest us...especially if it creates a neat chance for some photography pictures. :D

Yes, the "sea glass" is from broken bottles made smooth by the ocean.

I'm with you. I could never understand the attraction of what is essentially garbage washed up on shore, but lots of people find the sea glass attractive.

Yes, the "sea glass" is from broken bottles made smooth by the ocean.

I'm with you. I could never understand the attraction of what is essentially garbage washed up on shore, but lots of people find the sea glass attractive.

It kinda seems weird and then seems weird that they tell you not to take what is essentially "trash", but I guess it makes for a good photo op when there so I guess I'm forced to check it out for a few minutes to see what the hype is about. LOL :p

I am with njhorseman and many CC members here....it's ONLY broken glass...ok it's better that finding grease balls on the beach...but still...

The sea glass beach near the dockyard is easily accessible but you can't take souvenirs from the beach anymore...

There is a beach near St-Georges ( please visit the town, it's so beautiful ) where you can take the glass.

I am sure you have it already, but this site has a lot of good info about Bermuda and what to do and see : http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/

It is actually pretty. And I like the idea that nature has reclaimed the garbage--turning trash into treasures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess that's one way to look at it. :)

I am with njhorseman and many CC members here....it's ONLY broken glass...ok it's better that finding grease balls on the beach...but still...

The sea glass beach near the dockyard is easily accessible but you can't take souvenirs from the beach anymore...

There is a beach near St-Georges ( please visit the town, it's so beautiful ) where you can take the glass.

I am sure you have it already, but this site has a lot of good info about Bermuda and what to do and see : http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/

So then you can take a few pieces from the one by St George? What makes them different and why can you take it from one but not the other? Just wondering.

Thanks for the link. :)

I guess that's one way to look at it. :)

So then you can take a few pieces from the one by St George? What makes them different and why can you take it from one but not the other? Just wondering.

Thanks for the link. :)

It's the same sea glass...

It's just that the sea glass beach near the Dockyard is now owned by WEDCO ( like the clock tower shopping mall ) and to prevent it from being destroyed my the thousands of cruisers that dock each week, they posted a sign saying that you can't take sea glass from the beach.

People were getting buckets load of sea glass at one point...

You can find souvenirs and jewelry made of sea glass on the Island if you want something different and not travel all the way to :

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000276.htm

It's the same sea glass...

It's just that the sea glass beach near the Dockyard is now owned by WEDCO ( like the clock tower shopping mall ) and to prevent it from being destroyed my the thousands of cruisers that dock each week, they posted a sign saying that you can't take sea glass from the beach.

People were getting buckets load of sea glass at one point...

You can find souvenirs and jewelry made of sea glass on the Island if you want something different and not travel all the way to :

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000276.htm

I'm not really looking for any jewelry or anything made of it. I would only want to take a few pieces to put in my scrapbook for the trip for memories.

So looking at a map I printed off by another member...there's a "Sea Glass Beach 1" located by the Royal Dockyard and you can't take any glass from there. Then there's a "Sea Glass Beach 2" located by "George" on the same side as the unfinished church and you can take some from there. Is this correct? :confused:

BTW, thanks so much for answering my "newbie" questions Sebas. You are quite helpful. :)

I'm not really looking for any jewelry or anything made of it. I would only want to take a few pieces to put in my scrapbook for the trip for memories.

So looking at a map I printed off by another member...there's a "Sea Glass Beach 1" located by the Royal Dockyard and you can't take any glass from there. Then there's a "Sea Glass Beach 2" located by "George" on the same side as the unfinished church and you can take some from there. Is this correct? :confused:

BTW, thanks so much for answering my "newbie" questions Sebas. You are quite helpful. :)

Yes the other beach is in St-Georges, it's a little over a mile from the Ferry terminal...so about 20 or 25 minutes of walking...each way. A cab ( might be harder to find in St-Georges ) would be easier and not expensive.

And you are welcome !

The Sea Glass Beach in St. George doesn't have the amount of glass on the beach that the one by the Dockyard has. The one at the Dockyard has a beach that is totally covered with Sea Glass at least to the depth of 4 inches deep. It is amazing to listen to the waves coming in over the glass. It sounds like wind chimes with the glass turning in the waves. It is a shame that that Beach has been made off limits.

The Sea Glass Beach in St. George doesn't have the amount of glass on the beach that the one by the Dockyard has. The one at the Dockyard has a beach that is totally covered with Sea Glass at least to the depth of 4 inches deep. It is amazing to listen to the waves coming in over the glass. It sounds like wind chimes with the glass turning in the waves. It is a shame that that Beach has been made off limits.

You can still go to the beach, only taking the sea glass is off limits.

On another note.....no one knows for sure if bucket loads were taken. There was one resident in particular that was very vocal about the glass being taken and many times people will exaggerate to make their make their argument.;) So many people fly for their cruise that I can't imagine anyone taking bucket loads and having to pay extra fees.:D

In no way am I condoning taking any of the glass from the beach where it is not permitted.

Edited by iheartbda

I still don't think, even though I have ask for confirmation on here, that anyone has actually CONFIRMED that it is ok to take a few pieces from the sea glass beach NOT by the cruise port? :confused:

Yes you can !

The reason the one by the dockyard is not ok is the new rule by the new owners ( management by WEDCO )

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I saw this on the bermuda-online.org website. I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but perhaps even taking sea glass from the beach near St. George's isn't allowed...even though no sign is posted there:

http://www.bermuda-online.org/beaches.htm

"Neither residents nor visitors are allowed to take sand, shells, coral, sea fans or sea glass out of the beach or ocean or out of Bermuda."

By the way...WEDCO's control of the beach near Dockyard isn't new...only the sign prohibiting the taking of sea glass is new and was put there apparently in response to complaints from local residents.

I saw this on the bermuda-online.org website. I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but perhaps even taking sea glass from the beach near St. George's isn't allowed...even though no sign is posted there:

http://www.bermuda-online.org/beaches.htm

"Neither residents nor visitors are allowed to take sand, shells, coral, sea fans or sea glass out of the beach or ocean or out of Bermuda."

I guess this doesn't REALLY apply to residents since there are any number who make jewelry and openly sell it.:);)

By the way...WEDCO's control of the beach near Dockyard isn't new...only the sign prohibiting the taking of sea glass is new and was put there apparently in response to complaints from local residents.
Yep, I believe I was the first to post a picture of the sign. I was surprise to see my picture under a Google search for Bermuda sea glass pictures:D

In addition, there have been reports on a thread that the sea glass was confiscated when people were getting back on the ship. However, the policy, if there even is one, was not consistent as some had it taken and others not.

I still don't think, even though I have ask for confirmation on here, that anyone has actually CONFIRMED that it is ok to take a few pieces from the sea glass beach NOT by the cruise port? :confused:

Right next to the sea glass beach near the dockyard, you can find Black bay beach ( it is said to be one of the best places to enjoy the sunset )...have a look at their fb page for pictures.

Right next to the sea glass beach near the dockyard, you can find Black bay beach ( it is said to be one of the best places to enjoy the sunset )...have a look at their fb page for pictures.

You are so right! Very beautiful view; small beach but very uncrowded when we were there. Walking distance from Dockyard. We were on the Grandeur and didn't arrive until 3. This was a great place (along with the sea glass beach) to go for a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

My cruise to Bermuda is just a little over 30 days now and I'm back onto my research.

Have there been any updates on if there is any sign posted at the "sea glass beach 2" in St George stating you can't take a few pieces now?

I'm trying to look at google maps to find my way there, can anyone confirm?:

Go to Kings Square then to York.

Walk along Mullet Bay Rd to Cut.

Cut continues as Barry Rd, but looks like there's a little "cut" in the road that you can take without having to walk all the way around the loop at the edge.

Then you run into the fort and it's to the left of it?

Alexandra Battery?

It was mentioned that you could possibly take a cab there (but maybe not find one back). What would be the cost of a cab there? Also is the cab price per person or total?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, one last thing. Since there's been a lot of discussion about you "can" possibly take sea glass from the beach in St George, but you "can't" take it from the one by the dockyard, can someone tell me if you get back on the ship with sea glass...how the heck do they know where you took it from? Seriously? I don't get it. :confused:

Oh, one last thing. Since there's been a lot of discussion about you "can" possibly take sea glass from the beach in St George, but you "can't" take it from the one by the dockyard, can someone tell me if you get back on the ship with sea glass...how the heck do they know where you took it from? Seriously? I don't get it. :confused:

We go to Bermuda on the Dawn in early June. I was wondering the same thing. I just want to see the sea glass, not necessarily take some home, but I too was wondering how they would know where you got it--especially if you only had a piece or two.

Theoretically if the ship sees you trying to take the sea glass on board they're supposed to seize it, regardless of where you got it. I think in reality there's little chance of them catching you trying to bring it on the ship.

Edited by njhorseman