1st time cruisers, going to norway

cazzie107

Hi all,

Im really excited, the 1st week in aug we are off to norway, we have booked our trips for each port we are stopping at, i am just wondering if we should book meals in the 2 restaurants where you have to pay extra for? also has anyone got any tips of things we need to be aware of.

You can't book the restaurants before boarding the ship - once you are on board you can look at the menus and then decide if and when you want to eat there.

It might sound obvious - but make sure you are back on board on time, the ship will not wait for latecomers.

Virtually every shop in Norway takes Visa, so you don't need to change a lot of money into Kroner.

Weather can be very varied - misty, cold, sunny or red hot. Pack a variety of clothes and dress in layers - the weather might change dramatically while you are on a tour.

Most important - Enjoy!

Norway is quite expensive and in many ports the ship docks in the town. So have a wander get back on eat and get off again. !! The ports are all beautiful we loved Bergen and Stavanger. You will love it take clothes for all weathers.

Also try booking select dining to avoid disappointment can be done via cruise personaliser or by phoning P&O direct. It's a beautiful cruise Enjoyx

In the beginning everyone goes south for the med or canaries.

Sometimes entirely missing the unbelievably beautiful views

Of Norway. Never to be missed. My third visit there , will not

Be my last.

Agree - we were saying the same last week on the Baltics cruise. Fjords likely to be our next adventure (for the second time).

Edited by rooftop
added quote

Not sure what ship you're going on, but we were certainly able to book speciality dining on Azura before our cruise. Sindhu was well worth the cover charge, and we went another twice in the two weeks! 17 was good, but our favourite was Sindhu! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi all,

Im really excited, the 1st week in aug we are off to norway, we have booked our trips for each port we are stopping at, i am just wondering if we should book meals in the 2 restaurants where you have to pay extra for? also has anyone got any tips of things we need to be aware of.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

My tip - on the mornings when you are going up a fjord, especially to Geiranger or Flam, get on deck as early as you can. You can't beat the views travelling in absolute silence before anyone else is awake. I was up at around 5.30 and there were only a couple of others there.

We booked the speciality restaurant before we left but found that they gave good offers on board. So we cancelled and re-booked for a dinner and got a free bottle of wine in the deal.

And to make it better, the restaurant was practically empty and the food divine.

Our first cruise was to the Fjords and it is ideal for a first cruise to see how you like it apart from visiting absolutely beautiful destinations.

I echo all tips already given above especially taking layers of clothing as the varied weather can change dramatically very quickly.

Our Captain used to tell us the day before of what time to get up to catch the brilliant views and photo opportunities.

Enjoy! You will love it.

Edited by Scriv

Just got back from Norway on Oriana last Friday. Fabulous cruise (review soon) and while we took advice and took clothes for all weathers, we lived in shorts and t shirts in the day as norway was enjoying the hottest summer for 12 years. it got up to 28 degrees! Even a paddle in the Lofoten islands in the Arctic circle wasn't too cold, or a bathe in Sognefjord at Flam!