can't get low rate for more than 1 passenger

cruisemuse13

I also didn't understand this post, as that's not how it works. If there's only one seat left at a certain price, there's only one seat left. You don't get two seats at that price by booking on a different computer/iPad.

Agree with all of your post, but it goes deeper than your explanation. Websites (including travel reservation websites) store "cookies" on your computer. Think of them as tracking tags, "profilers", or "breadcrumbs". Some are for your convenience (for example storing your username). Others track your browsing history, fare searches, etc. identifiable by your username, email, and IP address of your device. So, if you search LAX-JFK on an airline's website multiple times, it's a sign of interest and lower fares may be masked. But if you seem to be a new customer, lower fares may be shown to win your business. A nationally syndicated tech show actually ran a test and got very different fare results based on search history. They interviewed a website guru who helped explain what was going on....he also commented the practice of displaying higher prices on Apple systems than the same item on a PC or Android device is increasing...Apple users tend to be a wealthier demographic and tend to be less price-conscious.

The suggestion to use Expert Flyer or KVS is good; I assume it cleanly gets around the issue.

Edited by kenish

So, if you search LAX-JFK on an airline's website multiple times, it's a sign of interest and lower fares may be masked. But if you seem to be a new customer, lower fares may be shown to win your business.

That seems a bit risky.... you could easily push the non loyal customer, and there are many, to a different airline with that tactic. I suppose it happens every day in markets besides air travel, losing say $300 for the sale in the hopes that you'll make another $50 by selling at a higher price, but maybe taking that gamble is worth it. Or perhaps it is another reason some of the legacy airlines are losing money.

I also didn't understand this post, as that's not how it works. If there's only one seat left at a certain price, there's only one seat left. You don't get two seats at that price by booking on a different computer/iPad.

The only explanation I can think of for this working for you is you just happened to do this when another seat was added to the lower fare bucket for whatever reason. And yes, it can happen that fast.

Incorrect. I have actually booked five (5!) tickets this way, but it was before the day when most airline reservation systems were in a "direct connect" mode. There are still some airline reservation systems that are not directly connected to all online booking sources, especially some foreign airlines. So if there is one seat left and someone uses two computers to book the final seat, the airline will honor the reservation and the price. I haven't done this in years, but it definitely still is possible if the airline is not in a direct connect mode with the booking source.

Incorrect. I have actually booked five (5!) tickets this way, but it was before the day when most airline reservation systems were in a "direct connect" mode. There are still some airline reservation systems that are not directly connected to all online booking sources, especially some foreign airlines. So if there is one seat left and someone uses two computers to book the final seat, the airline will honor the reservation and the price. I haven't done this in years, but it definitely still is possible if the airline is not in a direct connect mode with the booking source.

If you wanted to tell me I was wrong, surely you can do better then bringing up an example from years ago and discussing foreign carriers. Many things are theoretically possible; they just aren't very probable. OP wants to book on AA, not a foreign carrier. Also, they are booking in 2014, and aren't utilizing time travel. If they could do that, perhaps they wouldn't need to purchase a ticket at all. Just program the machine and they'd be off.

OP, if you can make this work on AA, will you please come back and post how you got a seat at a price that wasn't available? Thanks!

Edited by 6rugrats

OP, if you can make this work on AA, will you please come back and post how you got a seat at a price that wasn't available? Thanks!

I put a 24 hour hold on a ticket on AA for the lower, single fare. The next day, I checked AA for another single fare, and it was still $200 higher. so I checked on ita matrix , and found a single fare on an alliance partner for even less money. so I purchased one fare with the alliance partner, then went back and paid for the AA ticket that was on hold.

So I do have 2 separate tickets, purchased from different airlines, but for identical flights. So hopefully the flights will be uneventful, or it could get interesting if we have weather delays. A day later I checked on all of the websites for a single fare, and they are all showing the higher fare. I will be interested to know if the lower fare pops up again in a few days.

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

That's quite often how the system works. Only allows so many cheap tickets

And same ticket through an affiliate can be dearer or cheaper

I jus paid for etihad through virgin for half what etihad wanted

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I put a 24 hour hold on a ticket on AA for the lower, single fare. The next day, I checked AA for another single fare, and it was still $200 higher. so I checked on ita matrix , and found a single fare on an alliance partner for even less money. so I purchased one fare with the alliance partner, then went back and paid for the AA ticket that was on hold.

So I do have 2 separate tickets, purchased from different airlines, but for identical flights. So hopefully the flights will be uneventful, or it could get interesting if we have weather delays. A day later I checked on all of the websites for a single fare, and they are all showing the higher fare. I will be interested to know if the lower fare pops up again in a few days.

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

Yep, just another (more current) example of multiple ways to skin a cat :D

I checked online today for the flights I finally purchased about 36 hours ago. Both AA and the affiliate are selling single tickets for the same price I purchased. Actually, the affilitate is even $2 cheaper than when I purchased, and $75 cheaper than AA. So I could have passed on the AA ticket, and waited until today to get another cheaper ticket with the affilitate.

The AA ticket website was showing "only one seat left"!!. Well i bought that "one" seat, and now they have another . Oh well. :rolleyes:

The AA ticket website was showing "only one seat left"!!. Well i bought that "one" seat, and now they have another.
The number of seats available at any price level is not static. These are not tins of baked beans on a supermarket shelf. If the website says "only one seat left", that refers to that instant in time. This can change from minute to minute.