Flight risks Miami/Fort Lauderdale help

Milberygirl

Hello,

We are starting to book flights for our Breeze Cruise next April. We have never flown anywhere to cruise.We are good with our outbound flight as we are leaving day before and flying into Fort Lauderdale but need help from some who have experience with flying out same day as conclusion of our cruise. We bought the faster to Fun passes for a few reason and are hoping this will allow us to disembark early. We have choices of a 11:39 am,12pm, or a 6:45 pm from Fort Lauderdale or a 2pm from Miami. The Miami flight is more costly. Anyone with experience trying to fly out of these airports ? Any advice welcome. we obviously would like to leave as early as possible but don't want to risk missing a flight. Thank you in advance.

Failed to mention ship port is miami

Edited by Milberygirl

You really should be fine with either the 11:39 or 12 noon flights out of Fort Lauderdale. The airport & cruise port are only 10-ish minutes away from one another. Unless your ship is delayed for any reason... But if all goes according to plan, you'll make either of those flights without any problems. Good luck!

Breeze comes in to Miami, correct? So to get to Fort Lauderdale Airport will cost around $70 by Taxi. Port of Miami to MIA is $25 flat fee. Keep that in mind with overall flying costs.

All your flights out of FLL with be ok, provided the ship gets in on time, especially the 6:45pm.

But the 2 pm out of Miami is your best choice. Even as early as 11:00 am out of MIa is perfect.

I have made a 10:30 out of MIA with ease.

Unless your ship gets back late (which has never happened to us in 7 cruises so far), you should have no problem catching that 11:39 out of Fort Lauderdale. We always self disembark and we are usually at the airport by 9:00 at the latest.

Edited by vacruisin
corrected spelling of disembark

In March 2012, we sailed from Miami and were friendly with a Canadian family who used FLL for their flights. We got into port of Miami and debarkation began about 7 a.m. They did self debark and made flights at 10:45 out of FLL. they used SAS Transport who was well aware of their need for no delays.

Here is what Carnival suggests:

What is the earliest I can book my return flight?

Recommended times for outbound

Ft. Lauderdale - earliest return flight after 11:30 AM for Ft. Lauderdale; 12:00 PM for Miami International

Miami - earliest return flight after 11:30 AM for Miami; 12:00 PM for Ft. Lauderdale

Good luck!

At the Airport, but through security and at the gate? Should still be ok, but definately do self assist debarkation and get the first taxi you can.

We are usually at the airport by 9:00 at the latest (usually a earlier than that). If you arrive at the airport by 9:00 you should have no problem making a 11:39 flight. On our Conquest cruise a few weeks ago they started calling self disembark before 7:00.

I almost always fly into FLL as it is less expensive on United than MIA. We use SAS Shuttle and they are fantastic. $15 per person and they only go in and out of FLL to Miami hotels. You should have no problem getting to FLL for the noon flight - it's about 30 - 40 minutes from the port. If you don't like to rush I'd go with the 2 out of Miami.

When we sailed out of Miami on the Liberty last fall, we had Faster to the Fun, which gets you zone 1 to get off also.

We set the luggage out as zone 1, then walked off the ship with the self assist, several crew did ask were our luggage was, we only had back packs, lied and said that was it.

Then when off the ship we were first in line to get in get our luggage and get out to the taxi line. Which we were a little behind the front.

Next time in March we will have Faster to the fun and will do the same thing, except one of us will go through customs and get in the taxi line, and the other will bring the luggage with a porter, to the taxi line, should work out great. I hope.

I do agree with the poster that reminded of the taxi/shuttle cost from Miami to FFL, if close in cost, I would go Miami, I find the airport a little Quicker on cruise return day, anyway, I think security knows most are from the ship and just wanting to get home, not blow up an airplane and all that stuff.

Just my thoughts.

In March 2012, we sailed from Miami and were friendly with a Canadian family who used FLL for their flights. We got into port of Miami and debarkation began about 7 a.m. They did self debark and made flights at 10:45 out of FLL. they used SAS Transport who was well aware of their need for no delays.

Here is what Carnival suggests:

What is the earliest I can book my return flight?

Recommended times for outbound

Ft. Lauderdale - earliest return flight after 11:30 AM for Ft. Lauderdale; 12:00 PM for Miami International

Miami - earliest return flight after 11:30 AM for Miami; 12:00 PM for Ft. Lauderdale

Good luck!

I almost always fly into FLL as it is less expensive on United than MIA. We use SAS Shuttle and they are fantastic. $15 per person and they only go in and out of FLL to Miami hotels. You should have no problem getting to FLL for the noon flight - it's about 30 - 40 minutes from the port. If you don't like to rush I'd go with the 2 out of Miami.

We have also sailed out of Miami and have flown in/out FLL many times. We booked 11:45 flights and had reservations with SAS. (ridesas.com) Being Platinum, we had #1 luggage tags so we got off the ship rather early. FTTF affords the same benefit. We've used Self-Assist a few times as well. We've always been at the airport with enough time to be bored before we could board the plane.

Things can always happen. Of our 15 cruises we had a big issue on the last one out of Miami. Luckily I had a 1:00 flight which I almost didn't make. I had to run through the airport to make it. It was the first week in June and the Miami-Dade area were having lots of brush fires and the ship was not allowed to dock. I think we got off around noon with number 1 tags.

One more data point to consider.

It really all depends upon how well you handle uncertainty.

If you handle it well, no problem, book the noon FLL.

If you don't, then why risk it? (It seems you don't or you wouldn't be asking :))

So...Book either the 2pm MIA or the 6:45pm FLL and then enjoy your last night on the ship and the following morning completely stress free.

If you take the 6:45 FLL, then take an excursion to see the Gators or south beach or something and enjoy the day in FL.

Just another opinion.

GP

You really should be fine with either the 11:39 or 12 noon flights out of Fort Lauderdale. The airport & cruise port are only 10-ish minutes away from one another. Unless your ship is delayed for any reason... But if all goes according to plan, you'll make either of those flights without any problems. Good luck!

The OP is sailing from Miami. The Ft. Lauderdale airport is 40-50 minutes driving from Miami. With an early disembarkment group you should be good with a noon flight barring any problems with the ship being late or delayed by customs clearance.

I'd vote for planning a flight that allows enough time to take a shore excursion in Miami. Rushing to the airport ends the cruise too abruptly. Having a few more hours of playing tourist makes the vacation feel that much longer.

quote=Grannycb;43547273]I'd vote for planning a flight that allows enough time to take a shore excursion in Miami. Rushing to the airport ends the cruise too abruptly. Having a few more hours of playing tourist makes the vacation feel that much longer.

Depends on the person. I know that after my vacation I am ready to get home ASAP. After every cruise I am sitting in the airport for hours and I just hate that! :mad::eek::D

Also, not trying to spend anymore money on an excursion after spending a bunch of money on my cruise. I think many people feel the same way.

Also beware that FLL is a notoriously slow airport that seems to not know it's head from it's behind. When we flew out of there in February, we barely made our flight with 15 minutes to spare and we got to the airport 3 hours early.

Edited by Sumsss

While we have only had delays twice getting off the ship, we were lucky. On one cruise, we were flying and cruising from Miami. About a year and a half ago. Our flight home was at 1:15. Due to a customs issue, we did not get off the ship until 11:30 or so. Was in the custom line. Not moving. By the time we got the cab to the airport, and went through security, we would have missed our flight. Luckily, our flight had been delayed .... twice... and it didn't take off until 2:15.

Another time, cruising out of Port Canaveral, our ship arrived in port at 8:00am. We had booked a town car service who was going to be there at 8:30. He was there... and waited for us... until 11:00 ! Another customs issue with other passengers held up debarkation. It is a 45 minute ride to MCO airport... We made our flight because we had booked one at 2:00. Remember, doesn't matter how quickly your cab or whatever ride you take gets you there, you still have to go through sometimes crazy long security lines at the airport.

There have been many times when we were at the airport at around 9:30.. and just sat around chatting, went and had lunch or breakfast in the airport, and walked around a bit in the shops. I would much rather do that than miss a flight and pay a penalty to book a new one.

Also beware that FLL is a notoriously slow airport that seems to not know it's head from it's behind. When we flew out of there in February, we barely made our flight with 15 minutes to spare and we got to the airport 3 hours early.

We've had the exact opposite experiences at FLL. We've never had any issues with gate agents nor going through security. I think it's one of our favorite airports.

MIA, on the other had, is the most unorganized and craziest airport that we hope to never fly though again.

We've had the exact opposite experiences at FLL. We've never had any issues with gate agents nor going through security. I think it's one of our favorite airports.

MIA, on the other had, is the most unorganized and craziest airport that we hope to never fly though again.

Oh man you guys were lucky. I'm hoping maybe it was because of the Olympics and such but it was a zoo. We had a 6:15 am flight and they didn't open the counters till 4:30. They had one line for security for 4 Delta flights. After about 45 minutes they finally opened another but they were nitpicking every little thing.

The 11:39am or 12:00pm flights out of FLL should be no problem. We also have used SAS, and with early debarkation with FTTF on the Breeze. A few of us were on flights out of FLL, and a few others on flights out of MIA. We were all meeting back at PHL for the ride home. The flights left within minutes of each other at both airports, and arrived within minutes of each other at PHL. Either flight is doable!!! Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!!:)

Oh man you guys were lucky. I'm hoping maybe it was because of the Olympics and such but it was a zoo. We had a 6:15 am flight and they didn't open the counters till 4:30. They had one line for security for 4 Delta flights. After about 45 minutes they finally opened another but they were nitpicking every little thing.

I wonder if the difference was that we flew JetBlue every time.