Kenai Fjords Tours vs. Major Marine Tours in Seward

MalibuCA

While we've cruised Alaska 8 times, we've never had the opportunity to do a Kenai Fjords cruise, so it is now one of our priorities! Researching both operators, we see there are several tour options. If we have a whole day, which option offers the greatest potential for wildlife viewing, including birds? (Food is not a consideration for us!)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't think the tour operator matters as much as your time on the water. As BudgetQueen will tell you 6 hours or more will be the way you want to go. We went with Major Marine, 6 hours and saw otters before we ever left Resurrection Bay, but then also saw: humpbacks, orcas, kittywakes, puffins, sea lions, seals, eagles, more otters (much to the delight of my 14yo). I'm sure there were more animals that we saw, but I can't remember them all now. If you don't get out of Resurrection Bay, you won't see the Sea Lion Rookery and all the baby sea lions. Nor will you see the kittywake rookery. We saw more wildlife in those 6 hours than we'd seen in Denali or even on the cruise afterwards. :eek:

Enjoy your Kenai Fjords cruise!

Don, I too agree with your thinking. I also do not want my "time" spent on a meal and not "distance" seeing wildlife. I have ate at Fox Island and the food is good. But, reason I went there- was a good coupon 2 for 1 deal a few years ago. I also go out more than once every time I am there. For a first timer, single trip- having a wildlife priority, not a good choice.

I agree that the food on Fox Island was good. If you have not done the overnight on Fox Island, you should try it some time. I really enjoyed my time on Fox Island after all the day-trippers had gone.

I have never been able to figure out why for some people in an area such as Alaska, it appears that what they get to eat is more important than what they get to see or do. There is another post on the AK where the OP is really worried about what they will get to eat on their train trip. Who cares!!!!

I did a small boat cruise in AK a few years back. One evening during dinner, I noticed that there was an incredible sunset. I missed my dinner but got some of the best pictures I took in the trip.

DON

Not sure if our kids would be interested in a chicken Caesar wrap. Any other options on Kenai Fjords boats available for purchase? Can we bring our own food or snacks? We may be going right off the train so I'm not sure if we would have time to purchase anything else...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There will be a shuttle bus at the train station. But a suggestion would be to have one person, walk to the Subway and order sandwiches then cross the street and meet the rest at Kenai fjords Tours, where they would have checked in. :)

They do have hot dogs for sale and a few snack items, you can also bring your own

We did a Kenai Fjords in early June this year, the first trip of the longest tour, and were very happy. We had maybe 40 people on board, and had tons of room. One thing to remember is, you're not going to be in your seat. You're going to be wandering the decks, looking at the scenery and wildlife.